• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

that is a crazy statement...

Chas McFarland (FR year): 5.4mpg, 0.7ppg (4-14 - 29%), 1.6rpg, 7ast, 9to, 2blk and 1stl

Carson Desrosiers (FR year): 19.1mpg, 4ppg (48-122 - 39%), 3.2rpg, 22ast, 27to, 52blk and 8stl

i remember being quite surprised and pleased by Chas in his Sophomore year but let's not skew the stats. why don't we see what happens this season before we throw Carson under the bus. i think Carson had the better FR year, maybe not by a lot but slightly...next year he should be better. besides Chas was playing mop-up minutes against 2nd team players.

what we need is Carson to patrol the lane like Chas and beat up on those that drive on him...like Chas. i was a fan of Chas, we really could have used him last season!

well, after 2 games i think Carson has improved quite a bit from last season. i am not saying that he doesn't need to take another step but he is going to be a solid player for us.

I like Carson for who he is, a unique player who can pass from the post or the top of the key and hit some shots from outside. I think he will become a guy we can kind of run the offense through.

But I still think we need to recruit another center, even for 2013. We have a whole lot riding on Andre Washington, and he can't be expected to develop right away. We are still going to need big bodies and the sooner the better.

I like Carson for who he is, a unique player who can pass from the post or the top of the key and hit some shots from outside. I think he will become a guy we can kind of run the offense through.

But I still think we need to recruit another center, even for 2013. We have a whole lot riding on Andre Washington, and he can't be expected to develop right away. We are still going to need big bodies and the sooner the better.

1000% correct...i don't remember but 1 or 2 good post plays last night. every team will play zone against us because we don't have a post player that can score and we will struggle with the 3pt shot.

I'm not so sure we'll struggle with the 3. We can put 5 shooters on the floor. Chase had some good looks, and is still getting his feet under him. Skip used to like to flash JHo or someone in the middle of the 2-3 zone around the foul line. He could either shoot or if the defense collapsed, usually more than one did and he passed to the open man. I thought we just passed slowly around the outside too much, and Carson or Travis would be good ones to have flash in the middle to break down the zone. I am sure Buzz will be working on our zone offense. If you are just going to pass aruond the outside, it needs to be fast and make them work and chase for 30 seconds. If someone can beat their man, then the D has to collapse, and then you just find the open guy. Sometimes it takes a couple passes. I think we are still a little tentative about what is a good shot. I thought we caught and hesitated where we could have had a good look if we had been ready to shoot. If you get a good look at a 3 at least 15-20 seconds into the shot clock, for most of our shooters, that is a shot Buzz would be happy with. I'm sure he will be communicating whatever his thoughts are today.

I'm not so sure we'll struggle with the 3. We can put 5 shooters on the floor. Chase had some good looks, and is still getting his feet under him. Skip used to like to flash JHo or someone in the middle of the 2-3 zone around the foul line. He could either shoot or if the defense collapsed, usually more than one did and he passed to the open man. I thought we just passed slowly around the outside too much, and Carson or Travis would be good ones to have flash in the middle to break down the zone. I am sure Buzz will be working on our zone offense. If you are just going to pass aruond the outside, it needs to be fast and make them work and chase for 30 seconds. If someone can beat their man, then the D has to collapse, and then you just find the open guy. Sometimes it takes a couple passes. I think we are still a little tentative about what is a good shot. I thought we caught and hesitated where we could have had a good look if we had been ready to shoot. If you get a good look at a 3 at least 15-20 seconds into the shot clock, for most of our shooters, that is a shot Buzz would be happy with. I'm sure he will be communicating whatever his thoughts are today.

do we have 5 shooters on this team?

do we have 5 shooters on this team?

I only see two, CJ and Chase (though not much evidence from Chase yet). Fields and Chennault aren't shooters, and Carson, Travis, and Nikita can put one in every once in a while but I would rather see them take shots closer in (or not at all in one case).

Agreed. What would be really great is if we have an ACC ready center other than Carson for the 2013-2014 (this is plainly optimistic). That way Carson could spend the bulk of his minutes at the 4 (his more natural position), and we would become a much more well rounded team.

ETA: Still early, but Scout only lists us for one center for 2013:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5680683

ETAA: ESPN lists us for a different one:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/109042/kennedy-meeks

Meeks could be ACC ready.

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything about Kyle Washington, but Kennedy Meeks would be a huge get for 2012. Kid is just what we need.

A two-man class of Gill and Meeks would be great for 2013. Would fills need with real playmakers. Those two on top of the foundation class of 2012, combined with the senior leadership of Carson, Tony, and Travis would make us a good team again.

Haven't heard anything about Kyle Washington, but Kennedy Meeks would be a huge get for 2012. Kid is just what we need.

A two-man class of Gill and Meeks would be great for 2013. Would fills need with real playmakers. Those two on top of the foundation class of 2012, combined with the senior leadership of Carson, Tony, and Travis would make us a good team again.

That would be an incredible class, and, like you said, would fill our needs to the dot. If [Redacted] can land those two...well I'll start believing.

I dont see why we wouldnt put the blitzkrieg on Meeks unless there are academic issues or something. I know competition will be stiff, but he is absolutely what we need and I think he would play early and often. And its not just about 2013-2014. You can build a team around a guy like that. Look at what Maryland, and GT, and UNC are going to look like in two, three, four years. Not to mention Syracuse and Pitt. We are going to need muscle.

I dont see why we wouldnt put the blitzkrieg on Meeks unless there are academic issues or something. I know competition will be stiff, but he is absolutely what we need and I think he would play early and often. And its not just about 2013-2014. You can build a team around a guy like that. Look at what Maryland, and GT, and UNC are going to look like in two, three, four years. We are going to need muscle.

Worth noting that he goes to the same high school JTT did.

Key takeaway from today's Rivals update on Anton Gill:

Sources close to Gill at the Ravenscroft School, as well as others following the situation, feel comfortable saying that Gill will likely sign with North Carolina if they wind up offering him a scholarship sometime over the next few months.

Thoughts on Wake:

"I really like Wake Forest. I still don't have a list or anything, but they'll definitely be one of the schools that I think is going to go down to the end," Gill said.

"I really like Coach (Jeff) [Redacted], the way he plays. And then they have great class coming in 2012. I think if that's the place I choose to go, I have a chance to play and help them out."

We have at least 5 guys, if not more, who can shoot the basketball. We have 1, maybe 2, who can shoot it well in a college game.

CJ and Chase are definitely shooters. After that, I am perfectly fine with Travis taking 3's at any time. He's proven he can hit 3's from any angle. Carson is a very good 3pt shooter from the top of the key, but I haven't seen much evidence on the wings. Buzz has clearly given TC and AF the green light, so he clearly believes in their abilities based on practice. I have to assume the more comfortable they get with the game, the shots will fall.

Back