• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

Doesn't matter if they both come back or not. Johnson has always had weight/conditioning issues and his knee injury will do nothing to help that. Scott is a solid player but not nearly good enough to carry them anywhere close to a top 25. And lets not pretend that Miami has studs and quality depth. They don't.

Thank you. +1

No offense to your reading comprehension abilities intended, but can you please read what I wrote and respond to it instead of assuming everything is about Jeff [Redacted]?

I was responding to the claim that the ACC's second tier (NCSU, VT, UVA, GT, UMD, Clemson, Miami, and, hell, even FSU) is going to be unbeatable in 2012 and I stand by my response about Gottfried, Larranga, Brownell, Gregory, Greenberg, Turgeon, and Hamilton being far from sure things to compete with the likes of Roy, K, Boeheim, and Dixon.

Gottfried had a solid run from 2001-2006, but he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in his final four years at Alabama and we don't need to mention the reason why he was fired...

My point was simply to say that our depth chart is very solid in the 2012-2013 season and that we have a chance, too. Bz in or out of the equation.

PG: Codi (FR)/Tony (JR)/Anthony (SO)
SG: CJ (SR)/Chase (SO)/Aaron (FR)
SF: Travis (JR)/Arnaud (FR)
PF: Devin (FR)/Daniel (SO)/Tyler (FR)
C: Carson (JR)/Andre (FR)

1 SR, 2 JR, 3 SO, 6 FR

You were comparing NC State and such to us thus if you make a statement about their coach I'm going to assume that it's in comparison to [Redacted]. That isn't a ridiculous assumption to make. Agreed that Gottfried is a question mark, but he isn't the biggest one in the conference (and I'm not talking about just [Redacted]). I would say that we do know enough about Hamilton and Greenberg to assess whether they can compete with the K and Williams (they can't). Things aren't looking real great for Bennett. Turgeon and Brownell are the best bets at this point I think. Donahue, Laranga, [Redacted], Gregory, and Gottfried are all pretty much unknowns at this point.

As far as the roster goes, I think we will be really strong #1-3, but we're going to be counting on freshman to step-up to play lots of minutes at the #4-5.

Last edited:
CMM_OnTheRise
Team Hargrave is now 7-0. We won 123-119. I contributed 11assists with 36 points !

CMM_OnTheRise
Team Hargrave is now 7-0. We won 123-119. I contributed 11assists with 36 points !

Man WF got an absolute steal in CMM. If he can handle the PG role the kid has NBA written all over him. The talent WF and the rest of the ACC is bringing in next season will get the ACC back to how it was in 2003/2004

A buddy of mine who has watched some Hargrave games doesn't think CMM is a PG, yet at least. Doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic player. He is just more of a lead guard.

Man WF got an absolute steal in CMM. If he can handle the PG role the kid has NBA written all over him. The talent WF and the rest of the ACC is bringing in next season will get the ACC back to how it was in 2003/2004

I never cease to be amazed at the way we want to put kids in the League before they even graduate from high school.

You were comparing NC State and such to us thus if you make a statement about their coach I'm going to assume that it's in comparison to [Redacted]. That isn't a ridiculous assumption to make. Agreed that Gottfried is a question mark, but he isn't the biggest one in the conference (and I'm not talking about just [Redacted]). I would say that we do know enough about Hamilton and Greenberg to assess whether they can compete with the K and Williams (they can't). Things aren't looking real great for Bennett. Turgeon and Brownell are the best bets at this point I think. Donahue, Laranga, [Redacted], Gregory, and Gottfried are all pretty much unknowns at this point.

As far as the roster goes, I think we will be really strong #1-3, but we're going to be counting on freshman to step-up to play lots of minutes at the #4-5.

I somehow forgot about Donohue. But you're ultimately right, [Redacted] is a big question mark, too. My original response was more to say, "They're recruiting really well, but so what?" If you look at all of these coaches, with the exception of Bennett, I'm not really seeing the combination of recruiting and coaching that makes K, K or Roy, Roy, etc.

I think we'll see Anthony running the point, with CJ and CMM alternating at 2 or playing at the same time with Carson and Travis. Anthony looks like a pretty good PG even at this very early stage, and TC may be going to be the backup PG soon. Having CJ and CMM who can both shoot or drive at the 2 is a great luxury. The nice part is CMM doesn't have to come in immediately and be expected to be a leading contributor.

I think we'll see Tree playing tons of minutes as our primary ballhandler. It makes the other team's SG wear down on D and allows CJ, Codi and Chase to do what they do best.

As was described last night our played on the court and not necessarily in traditional positions.

When you can have a mismatch that makes the opposition;s leading scorer (or second leading scorer) play much harder on D, it really helps your team.

I somehow forgot about Donohue. But you're ultimately right, [Redacted] is a big question mark, too. My original response was more to say, "They're recruiting really well, but so what?" If you look at all of these coaches, with the exception of Bennett, I'm not really seeing the combination of recruiting and coaching that makes K, K or Roy, Roy, etc.

Donahue is probably the biggest question mark in my mind. No doubt the man can coach (last year proved that), but if I was a BC fan I would be very concerned about the talent side of the equation.

As for Bennett, he's a tough read at this point.

If Roy was at DePaul when he was thirty, he would be at a low level D1 school now. He's the luckiest SOB in D1 coaching. He's never had to recruit.

Brick has a premium article up on D.Thomas. He really likes his game and motor. Thinks he will overtake Carson in the post and is a definite top100 player. I'm excited about him because he fills a huge need also interesting that his sister at Md was RoY.

Brick has a premium article up on D.Thomas. He really likes his game and motor. Thinks he will overtake Carson in the post and is a definite top100 player. I'm excited about him because he fills a huge need also interesting that his sister at Md was RoY.

What's cool is that his family can get him an excellent personal trainer who will be adding some of the Knicks' exercises to his own.

I also love the fact that he is growing from 6'7 to maybe 6'10 this late. Had he been 6'10 in 10th/11th grade, he wouldn't have learned all the tricks he need to in order to be effective.

Also by growing late he learned other skills like ballhandling and running the court that a 6'9 oir 6'10 guy would have.

If Devin grows enough to play post, he can move Carson back to his natural position of PF.

ou must be watching different videos. remmber he isn't going to be covered by PGs.

Carson was solid last night. His offense is very raw, but his defense was encouraging. Unlike Ty's statlines with 8 blocks, Carson actually played solid positional defense and, outside of a few awful rotations, he did a solid job attacking the glass. I'd love to see Carson and Devin play together.

Carson was solid last night. His offense is very raw, but his defense was encouraging. Unlike Ty's statlines with 8 blocks, Carson actually played solid positional defense and, outside of a few awful rotations, he did a solid job attacking the glass. I'd love to see Carson and Devin play together.

Yes, I don't think that Devin and Carson will be competing for playing time. It would be a pleasant surprise if that was the case though (it would likely mean that Cavanaugh or Washington were more ACC ready than expected).

CMM_OnTheRise
We won the louisburg tournament. The score was 87-80. I contributed with 6 assists and 27 points.. #TeamHargrave is 8-0

Back