• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Not sure how him saying DM is one hell of a coach is more of an indictment of his predecessor.
It is whatever you want it to be.

A coach like Dawkins isn't going to publicly talk shit about another coach to a group of fans and especially a former player with whom he doesn't really compete for wins, recruits or prestige.

Just my two cents.

I like Mooney. Would be a nice pickup. Need those kind of guys in the post. Manning seems to target well rounded players. Washington and Mooney seem to have a lot of similarities in their style of play. Guys like them make coaches look good. Less potential perhaps, but higher floors which can be important when establishing a foundation. Reminds of guys that Bennett would recruit.

able ro make a layup,

It is whatever you want it to be.

A coach like Dawkins isn't going to publicly talk shit about another coach to a group of fans and especially a former player with whom he doesn't really compete for wins, recruits or prestige.

Just my two cents.

He also didn't have to mention Manning at all.

He didn't. You're right.

It plays both ways, though: countless professionals lined up to support [Redacted] by name, too, if you remember.
Except every single one of those quotes was professionally solicited by our athletic department. This was a conversation in a restaurant.

Except every single one of those quotes was professionally solicited by our athletic department. This was a conversation in a restaurant.
So you're saying that we're getting Harry Giles?

Solicited or not, it's rare that a coach would talk shit about another coach in public to a fan of the coach-in-question's team.

Can we agree on that, at least?

Can't we just take the quote for what it is worth? We obviously know that Danny Manning is highly regarded with his peers and that he seems to be a good coach. Whether he is a great coach will be decided on the court, recruiting trail, etc; not by some coach in a restaurant. Also, I highly doubt that Dawkins was trying to throw a cryptic dagger at Bzzz--this isn't an episode of True Detective. Let's just take this as another endorsement that we have a high ceiling coach that is well-respected and move on.

Last edited:
Had dinner last night with a big group of friends at the DC Fogo De Chao. The table behind us was set up for a big group as well and it ended up being the Stanford basketball team. Bunch of our guys were Villanova grads and they play Stanford this year so they said something (light hearted, well received) to the coaching staff on their way out. Johnny Dawkins was laughing and asked if everyone was from Villanova - I said no, a couple of us were Wake Forest guys. He got a little more serious and looked at me and said "you guys have Danny Manning now - that's one hell of a coach. You're in great hands." I thanked him and said it was nice to be excited about our team again. He came off as very sincere for what it's worth.

Dawkins is a great guy

The difference between praise for a coach that has had success and a coach that has never had success should be fairly obvious.

Oddly enough the only other time I've encountered a big name and randomly mentioned Wake basketball was when Jay Bilas was a speaker for a charity event and I got to talk to him in line for a beer at the bar. I gave him some shit about the "Wake got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]" line. He laughed and said something about there being a lot of great basketball minds out there that can't recruit well enough or can't relate to today's players well enough to run a successful college program. There are few things more worthless than public quotes about brand new hires.

The Dawkins moment, brief though it was, seemed like the words "Wake Forest basketball" had been irrelevant for a long time because he almost just kept walking out, but then it was like "oh, right, Danny Manning is there now" which was enough for him to stop and turn around and say a few nice things about him. Considering Dawkins also played big college ball, was a lottery pick, played in the NBA and then spent 10 years as an assistant before getting a head coaching position it would make sense that he's a fan of Manning's. Very similar backgrounds.

Embarrassingly I didn't put the name to the face until I got home and looked up the Stanford coaches. Derp.

I mean, transitioning from the state of Villanova basketball to the state of Wake Forest basketball is like transitioning from a discussion about Jessica Alba to a discussion about Rosie O'Donnell. I took that as him just feeling bad for the poor Wake Forest bastards there. But they do have very similar backgrounds, and I'm sure he meant what he said.

Last edited:
Just floating an idea here, and I'm not sure if somebody else has, but is it possible to free up an extra scholarship by having Brandon Childress be a non-scholy player? Does his dad get a discount on tuition as an employee? We could certainly bump his pay to account for the difference. Shady and dubious, for sure, but I would think it's doable.

Had dinner last night with a big group of friends at the DC Fogo De Chao. The table behind us was set up for a big group as well and it ended up being the Stanford basketball team.

Yet Shabazz Napier starves.

Back