• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Just to set Dukeson straight, the difference between the Duke and Wake fan bases in the quest for Giles is the difference between gluttony and starvation. We're both hungry, but the Dukies have gorged on burger boys for decades and are just lusting for more, while the Deacs are famished for a player like HG to turn things around.

Welcome! Are you posting from Jerusalem?

How can I buy tickets to the B&G Madness event this Friday? I think I'm going to drive in from Charlotte to attend. I want to be there when the entire crowd is chanting for Harry, and to see our newly acquired talent!

It's free and open to the public. First come, first serve

I'm not being purposely obtuse, I promise. I just want to know how Giles, who will be a one and done, will turn things around at a program level?

Will Giles ensure Wake makes the NCAA tournament, and perhaps leads the team to 1-3 wins? Sure
Will Giles put Wake in a spot to compete for a top 4 ACC finish? Sure
Will Giles put Wake on the map somewhat in terms of coverage for a potential nba #1 draft pick? Yeah

What's the plan for when he leaves next spring, though? Is Manning's goal for Wake to try and become a viable OAD destination? Or just to raise the profile of the program in the eyes of recruits? The former I find very hard to believe, as to win it all with OADs you generally need multiple a year, and I don't envision that is what Manning has in mind. What steps does Manning take to parlay two semesters of Giles into higher level recruiting, specifically?

IMO program changers are either 4 year guys (Laettner, Duncan, etc) or coaching moves. Hiring Manning is Wake's potential program changer, IMO. Duke's last true program changer, I would argue, was bringing in associate head coach Jeff Capel.

I think Giles can only be a program changer on-the-court. I don't think his commitment will change perception, not at this point when we can't build a class around him. His presence will accelerate the rebuild. If we stay ranked throughout the year and make a splash in the tournament then that will change the perception of our program.

I'm not being purposely obtuse, I promise. I just want to know how Giles, who will be a one and done, will turn things around at a program level?

Will Giles ensure Wake makes the NCAA tournament, and perhaps leads the team to 1-3 wins? Sure
Will Giles put Wake on the map somewhat in terms of coverage for a potential nba #1 draft pick? Yeah

What's the plan for when he leaves next spring, though? Is Manning's goal for Wake to try and become a viable OAD destination? Or just to raise the profile of the program in the eyes of recruits? The former I find very hard to believe, as to win it all with OADs you generally need multiple a year, and I don't envision that is what Manning has in mind. What steps does Manning take to parlay two semesters of Giles into higher level recruiting, specifically?

IMO program changers are either 4 year guys (Laettner, Duncan, etc) or coaching moves. Hiring Manning is Wake's potential program changer, IMO. Duke's last true program changer, I would argue, was bringing in associate head coach Jeff Capel.

Good thoughts. Okay, you've convinced us. You can have Giles. Have fun!

The theory is that having the number one player in the country commit to a school whose most highly-rated recruits in the past five years have been Doral Moore (2015) and Codi Miller-McIntyre (2012) both in the mid-70s would put the program at a new places in the minds of future recruits, as well as re-energize a demoralized fan base. It's not something I could expect anyone who hasn't been through the past six years as a Wake fan to understand...

During the past four years, no top recruit in the country would even consider Wake Forest. HG coming to Wake would be a huge program changer, for a program that desperately needs a lift. (Unlike the Duke program that Jeff Capel joined) We'd be on TV that people actually watch. We'd win some games against ranked teams. The Joel would be rocking like it was during the Duncan and Paul years.

You'd have to have experienced first hand, as Wake alums and fans have, the depths to which the program of Bogues, Duncan, Paul had sunk. Giles would be ginormous for us.

Dukeson asked one of the dumbest questions I've seen on these boards.

i'm excited to be within a month (likely) of knowing the answer either way

Just look at the network column on the 2014-15 schedule. That column changes quite a bit with Giles. In college basketball, exposure is a big deal.

Regardless of what Giles accomplishes for us on the court, it is what his commitment will do for Wake off the court that really matters.

Getting Giles helps Wake tremendously in rebuilding its fanbase with non-alumni in Winston-Salem. Having the local superstars suit up for Wake reasserts our position as the Triad's team. Giles as a Deacon along with Chris Paul and Josh Howard ensures that the basketball culture of Winston-Salem revolves around Wake Forest. That helps us wall off the city as a Deacon recruiting ground in future battles. Giles very likely would follow CP3's example of remaining heavily involved in the community after he turns pro.

Giles projects as a multi-year All-Star in the NBA. With Duncan's retirement coming up soon, it is important to our program to see that our NBA presence gets some renewal.

It's also important not to ignore the symbolic value this recruiting victory over Kansas, Kentucky, UNC and especially Duke would make in legitimizing Wake and Manning on the recruiting trail. Giles would easily be the biggest recruiting victory that Wake Forest has ever had in any sport, ever. In hindsight, it very well could be seen as a passing of the torch to the next generation as Coach K and Roy Williams approach retirement.

Back