• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

INTRO: 2017 PG Romin Williams from Scout

One of the best young point guards in Louisiana, Romin Williams of Country Day (Metairie) enters his sophomore season fresh off two straight Class 1A state championships with the Cajuns.

Williams (5-10, 143) has been a key part of Country Day’s success dating back to his eighth-grade year, something he attributes to a defense-first mentality and a developing all-around game.

“My defense, I love to lock down other point guards,” Williams said when asked his biggest strength on the floor. “Other than that I like to penetrate, kick it and get people involved. When I do have to score, I’m good at the pull-up jump shot, threes, knocking down open shots. An all-around player is what I want to be. A good teammate as well, that’s my number one thing.”

Coaches on the collegiate level have taken notice of Williams’ skillset and ability to lead a team.

He picked up his first offer from Loyola (New Orleans) last month and reports interest from a slew of programs, including Dayton, DePaul, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Middle Tennessee State and Louisiana Tech. Williams, who plays his summer ball with the Red Storm in Baton Rouge, has also heard from LSU, Auburn, Texas and North Carolina State.

Still, despite the attention, he remains grounded and has a mature outlook on the process that’s also, frankly, refreshing.

“The first thing is I know maybe one percent of people under 6-foot go to the NBA, so I’m really realistic,” explained Williams. “I want to go somewhere to be an engineer or a businessman, so I’m looking for a good college that will let me play ball, get a good degree and get a nice job one day.”

Check out much more from Williams in our audio interview below, in which the point guard discusses his budding (but friendly) rivalry with Landry-Walker’s Lamont Berzat, how Country Day is shaping up this season and more on how he’s approaching the recruiting process.

I have insufficient words to reply adequately to the stupidity of this post

Finding myself in that position quite often over the last few days.

I got negrepped by racer for this. Seriously. They do know that these kids are a full year away from going to any school, right?

The concept of some 17-year old kid taking over recruiting duties from the coaching staff is rather ridiculous. The concept that he would do so on his own is absurd. Commits only mean so much. LOI's count

When it's over, it's over. That will be a while.

Last edited:
Koby McEwen has added Georgia tech to his leaderboard along with Utah State and Wake. He set a 10/2 visit with Tech. We better close him on his 8/28 visit.

I got negrepped by racer for this. Seriously.

I went ahead and negrepped you again for whining about rep. You're welcome. Seriously.

The concept of some 17-year old kid taking over recruiting duties from the coaching staff is rather ridiculous.

That is not at all what TopHat's post said.

If Giles really wanted to play at Wake he would have committed already so he could influence recruiting. Players like Miller and Wright would have a much harder time saying no with Harry already in the fold.

That seems like pretty sound logic to me. Giles has been in/around our program for a while now. If it's really where he wanted to be, he'd know it by now and there's a good chance he'd already be here. He surely knows that Wake struggles to recruit coming out of the Bzaster (and pretty much always) compared to the other schools he's considering and that his commitment would make it much easier to surround him with talent for the one season he'd be at Wake. You can argue whether TopHat's post makes sense or not, but it's certainly not so absolutely bad that words cannot begin to express it's stupidity as you stated it out to be.

Racer is right. There are plenty of words to describe its stupidity.

Giles could commit to us. He probably won't, but he could. He enjoys being recruited, though, and was never going to commit anywhere early in the process.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16 - McEwen (8/28) & Giles (9/19) visiting! Wright ...

I never said Harry would "take over recruiting duties".

You guys can say my post is stupid but do you really think that if the #1 player in the country was already committed that it wouldn't impact this recruiting class? Do you really think That HG has no preference at all who he plays with for a year? Get real.

giphy.gif

McEwen has 3 visits set up with ours nxt weekend. Says he has no timetable for a committment but will do it when it feels right. I like our chances with the first visit.

To take a break from Wake's failures, Carolina is really coming up short. At the end of the day I'm sure they'll get whatever 4* they want, but in a local class that is stronger than maybe ever, they are likely to completely strike out. 3 top 10 players in the state and SKJ's mom works for UNC. Looks like 0/4 there.

He says he will commit to the school that needs him the most and when it feels right.

Given those quotes, I get the feeling that if the Wake visit goes well, he'll end up committing.

Also if we lose a recruit to GT and Gregory, we should be ashamed.

Back