• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

So was Loren Woods.

Possibly the best troll ever . . . But

Did oldmandeac troll us all spectacularly?
old guys don't troll. I am one, and I don't. To recollect that Rodney Rogers was some 3 star recruit is just, well, not right. That man resurrected us from our last period of wandering in the desert (we are wandering again now). The man was a top 5 recruit who single handedly resurrected Wake BBall, which carried over to Skip.

Wake is showing interest in Hameir Wright. He's a 6'7 SF rated as a 4 star recruit with offers from Syracuse, Maryland and Villanova. He recently reclassified to the class of 2018.

Chaundee Brown will visit Kansas Sept 2, Maryland Sept 30, Florida Oct 7 and last he will visit Wake Oct 14. Were getting the last visit. So theres that.

Chaundee Brown will visit Kansas Sept 2, Maryland Sept 30, Florida Oct 7 and last he will visit Wake Oct 14. Were getting the last visit. So theres that.

Glad to hear he has set up his official visit. Interesting that we get the last one.

Our football team is on the road at FSU that weekend. I guess we can take him to a women's volleyball game or a men's soccer game that weekend.

Would you want your son to select a basketball program at a university where the present Athletic Director effectively destroyed the program and has dismissed two coaches after NCAA tournament participation and with winning percentages over .640?

A simple question that most coaches don't face. The Wake Forest basketball program does as long as Ron Wellman is AD.

I dont think this comes up for 98% of recruits. For a bunch of different reasons. If I am a parent if a top 25 kid I want to make sure the relationship w coach and staff are great, the university meets needs - small class size would have value, id want him to be playing w other top 25 or top 75 players and most likely play in the ncaa tourney and id like to think the staff won't move up or be fired. I dont think you'd look back to when your son was 8 and they fired gaudio.

Would it be easier to recruit if shaka was coach? YES. Are we losing kids because of wellman? Very doubtful. We need Crawford and collins to have big starts, melo to ideally move up the rankings and get one big recruiting win.

Also to correct your premise bzd was not fired after a tourney appearance. He was fired after a 4th dismal season that saw us scratch to .500 and a win against #1 miami being rge highlight w an experienced team that was at their peak and atill couldnt get close to the ncaa. No parent would think that was a quick hook

Last edited:
I dont think this comes up for 98% of recruits. For a bunch of different reasons. If I am a parent if a top 25 kid I want to make sure the relationship w coach and staff are great, the university meets needs - small class size would have value, id want him to be playing w other top 25 or top 75 players and most likely play in the ncaa tourney and id like to think the staff won't move up or be fired. I dont think you'd look back to when your son was 8 and they fired gaudio.

Would it be easier to recruit if shaka was coach? YES. Are we losing kids because of wellman? Very doubtful. We need Crawford and collins to have big starts, melo to ideally move up the rankings and get one big recruiting win.

Also to correct your premise bzd was not fired after a tourney appearance. He was fired after a 4th dismal season that saw us scratch to .500 and a win against #1 miami being rge highlight w an experienced team that was at their peak and atill couldnt get close to the ncaa. No parent would think that was a quick hook

I thought he was referring to Odom and Gaudio as being "fired" following an NCAA appearance. But you're probably right that stuff is ancient history for most highschool kids and I doubt any of them know who Wellman is.

Not to pile on, but Rodney Rogers was a top 10 recruit who went to a 4A high school and was a McDonald's all American. He and Chris Paul are probably the two highest rated recruits we have had in our entire history. He does not fit the coach em up diamond in the rough narrative in anyway.
And the lessons learned is...they can jumpstart/elevate a program.

We have to go after these guys...and if that means missing on them and dealing with lower recruits for a while then IMO we need to be patient until Manning lands one or two or them. The wait will be worth it. He seems to be good at identifying talent early on, that's for sure.

Really poor research above:

Only following Deacs since 1986....

McDonald's All-Americans:

Rodney Rogers, Chris Paul, Eric Williams, AFA, Anthony Tucker (transfer)--all earned their stripes

4 stars we got our money's worth:

Chris King, Jeff Teague, James Johnson, Ish Smith, Travis McKie, CMM, Bryant Crawford, Justin Gray, Chil

Just off the top of my head

We did not get our money's worth w/r/t CMM and McKie. Guards who shoot 28% from 3 just can't be included with that list of impact players he's been lumped in with. Travis was a bit overrated out of HS as well compared to what he actually could achieve whilst at Wake. However, with a better supporting cast he might have performed at a level more commensurate with his ranking. He could have been quite valuable as an exemplary role player on a better team. Still a great Deac, but let's not delude ourselves shall we?

Give me more guys who score 1687 and 816 boards at SF.

To say we didn't "get our money's worth" from Travis makes no sense.

His stats are inflated and a bit misleading from basically playing all 4 years on awful teams. Guess the term "money's worth" is quite subjective, but when I think of impactful 4* players at Wake, Travis certainly doesn't come to mind. If he had done that in 3 years of playing time, I think there would be a much different opinion of his overall legacy as a potential Deacon "great."

Rick, are you back on this board again? You PROMISED me that you had quit and weren't going to be doing this anymore. On second though, your cock has been especially hard the last few months. As long as you don't get obsessed with that Townie boy again I can live with this. You're going to need to give me a good pussy licking tonight though.

His stats are inflated and a bit misleading from basically playing all 4 years on awful teams. Guess the term "money's worth" is quite subjective, but when I think of impactful 4* players at Wake, Travis certainly doesn't come to mind. If he had done that in 3 years of playing time, I think there would be a much different opinion of his overall legacy as a potential Deacon "great."

I didn't say "great", but we certainly go our"our money's worth" with Travis. The inverse is also true. Other teams keyed on him.

He wasn't as "impactful" as other 4* players, because he had little other talent around him.

I didn't say "great", but we certainly go our"our money's worth" with Travis. The inverse is also true. Other teams keyed on him.

He wasn't as "impactful" as other 4* players, because he had little other talent around him.

Ya, I guess we got our "money's worth" even though it didn't buy much in those 4 years. Not sure I agree that teams keyed on him that much, but maybe so and that's what limited his "impact", but he wasn't particularly aggressive player in my recollection. But he was a pretty damn good rebounder for his size.

Your last sentence is kind of my point though as he wasn't good enough to elevate the crappy talent around him. Whether that is a fair assessment I don't know, but he seemed to play better with CJ than that last year when he didn't have ANY real help and a bunch of raw frosh. But point stands, take away his frosh year numbers, and his overall stats are pretty middling to slightly above average. And if he was as good as you're arguing, his stats wouldn't have dropped off so much after his soph year. Just like ROK, he peaked and faded over 4 years of pretty mediocre to awful basketball by the teams he played on.

We had massively more talent around ROK than around Travis. It's not even close. ROK's worst team would have beaten TRavis' best team at least 9 out of 10 games.

Forget recruits, I'd be willing to bet half our current student-athletes barely know who Wellman is.

Back