• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

That would be a very good line. The reason I might go over is how many computer geeks may have studied the entire Wake website and learned his name.

No, he's confusing Rodney with Alvis Rogers ... who attended tiny Washington High School and was a year ahead of Dominque Wilkins.

No, he's confusing Rodney with Alvis Rogers ... who attended tiny Washington High School and was a year ahead of Dominque Wilkins.

or Rod Griffin (mid 70's) from equally as small Fairmont NC

If this wasn't a purposeful troll job, it might be the most out of touch, incorrect thing I have ever seen on the boards.

Ok, I'll admit, my memory of Rodney Rogers wasn't keen (other than the guy was an absolute stud) and I may have had him and Rod confused as to their high school rankings. But, it doesn't make the rest of my comment incorrect.

Teague, Johnson, Smith, Aminu were all mentioned as 4*. Please note, I referenced AT&T (which includes Aminu) with 3 future NBA players (who are Teague, Johnson, and Ish) as possibly the best team on paper Wake has ever had. However, as I mentioned, even with all of that talent - Wake failed.

Likewise, Crawford was mentioned (by implication) in the comments about Manning's freshman from last year and this. Clearly, Crawford is a player; however, he did not come into Wake ready to jump to the NBA. How many comments have been made about ball handling / turnovers / free throw shooting? Again, good player coming in, should be much better by the end of his Wake career - if the coaches "coach him up" and help him improve.

If CMM was a true 4*, you have to question the rankings. Sorry. McKie had the misfortune of being on bad Wake teams, so his 4* didn't add much. Loren Woods main contributions were to get in Tim Duncan's way on defense (effectively screening Duncan away from a driving shooter who were able to get around our guards who knew they could overplay out front because Duncan was there to stop them until Woods got in the way) and pulling a knife on teammate during a team meal (I think that was the story).

I had forgotten that Chris King, Justin Gray, and Chill were all Burger Boys. Chill got us the ACC Championship. King got us Tim Duncan.

But, you guys have all largely made my point. I started with Charlie Davis and ended with Manning's last two recruiting classes - a period of time that spans over 40 years. A full dozen 4* recruits have been mentioned in the subsequent responses covering that entire period of time. By definition, that means there are a much greater number of Wake players who did not have the "cred" and lofty expectations coming out of high school that played and contributed to Wake. Hence, the premise of my post - we rely on guys we can make better players over the course of their Wake careers.

Childress and Rogers were both top 30 recruits (Rogers top 10, IIRC). Trelonnie Owens was top 100. Shock of shocks, bringing in that kind of talent led to Wake being a really good team. Nowadays, we are shocked when teams that feature players who weren't ranked any higher than Owens can't carry the team by themselves.

Basketball is fairly simple; get 2-3 elite players and surround them with guys who fill the roles of hitting open shots, passing, rebounding, and playing good defense. All of this diamond in the rough nonsense is bullshit excuse making.

I'm sure it's been discussed before but when the top 7 or 8 programs are signing four new McDonald's All Americans every year (or every other year), the talent available to everyone else is diluted. And the four-year plan has yet to work.

It worked for Virginia and now they are getting the four and five stars.

AFA was as clear cut a 5* as you can get. That dude was a stud.

Childress and Rogers were both top 30 recruits (Rogers top 10, IIRC). Trelonnie Owens was top 100. Shock of shocks, bringing in that kind of talent led to Wake being a really good team. Nowadays, we are shocked when teams that feature players who weren't ranked any higher than Owens can't carry the team by themselves.

Basketball is fairly simple; get 2-3 elite players and surround them with guys who fill the roles of hitting open shots, passing, rebounding, and playing good defense. All of this diamond in the rough nonsense is bullshit excuse making.

This is especially true when you consider that the only times that we have been led by 3-star players, we have sucked.

It's true, too, that we have sucked when led by 4-star players, but this isn't universally true and top-100 players have anchored the best runs of the modern-era of Wake basketball: 1990-1997 (Odom), 2001-2005 (Prosser), and 2008-2010 (Gaudio).

Ok, I'll admit, my memory of Rodney Rogers wasn't keen (other than the guy was an absolute stud) and I may have had him and Rod confused as to their high school rankings. But, it doesn't make the rest of my comment incorrect.

Teague, Johnson, Smith, Aminu were all mentioned as 4*. Please note, I referenced AT&T (which includes Aminu) with 3 future NBA players (who are Teague, Johnson, and Ish) as possibly the best team on paper Wake has ever had. However, as I mentioned, even with all of that talent - Wake failed.

Likewise, Crawford was mentioned (by implication) in the comments about Manning's freshman from last year and this. Clearly, Crawford is a player; however, he did not come into Wake ready to jump to the NBA. How many comments have been made about ball handling / turnovers / free throw shooting? Again, good player coming in, should be much better by the end of his Wake career - if the coaches "coach him up" and help him improve.

If CMM was a true 4*, you have to question the rankings. Sorry. McKie had the misfortune of being on bad Wake teams, so his 4* didn't add much. Loren Woods main contributions were to get in Tim Duncan's way on defense (effectively screening Duncan away from a driving shooter who were able to get around our guards who knew they could overplay out front because Duncan was there to stop them until Woods got in the way) and pulling a knife on teammate during a team meal (I think that was the story).

I had forgotten that Chris King, Justin Gray, and Chill were all Burger Boys. Chill got us the ACC Championship. King got us Tim Duncan.

But, you guys have all largely made my point. I started with Charlie Davis and ended with Manning's last two recruiting classes - a period of time that spans over 40 years. A full dozen 4* recruits have been mentioned in the subsequent responses covering that entire period of time. By definition, that means there are a much greater number of Wake players who did not have the "cred" and lofty expectations coming out of high school that played and contributed to Wake. Hence, the premise of my post - we rely on guys we can make better players over the course of their Wake careers.

So in summary - I was totally off on Rogers and a bunch of other stuff but I stand by everything I say. Got it. This reminds me of other old men in life. "I am wrong, but fuck you. I feel all right about it and will not change, no sir."

The important thing to note from that list is UNC is not on it. Seems to confirm the speculation that the Heels aren't going to take another point guard in that class after getting commitments from Coby White, Reschon Black, and Jalek Felton in the prior class. They were considered the favorites for Dotson.

So in summary - I was totally off on Rogers and a bunch of other stuff but I stand by everything I say. Got it. This reminds me of other old men in life. "I am wrong, but fuck you. I feel all right about it and will not change, no sir."

You need to back off the "old people" card. No one is on here talking about "young people". Keep it civil. Same team.

The recent misinformation in this thread is so epic as to render it totally useless.

Leave it to Ranger.

Last edited:
Back