• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Darius Perry to Louisville, so I'm hoping that we hold off on recruiting another PG until 2018. I'm really hoping that we make Dotson's list, though I didn't see any update today.

So someone posted a couple of months ago. Supposedly a good kid from a good family.

Actually looks like Johnny Newman III is not the son of former NBA player Johnny Newman Jr. Johnny Newman III's dad played college ball @ James Madison in the mid 80's & is a distant cousin of his NBA namesake. To further confuse matters, NBA Johnny Newman Jr also has a son named Johnny Newman III who plays/played @ St Augustine.

NBA Johnny Newman Jr played a couple years w/ Manning in Dallas while John Newman Jr (James Madison alum & father of our recruit) was a teammate of Danny Manning @ Greensboro Page.

Actually looks like Johnny Newman III is not the son of former NBA player Johnny Newman Jr. Johnny Newman III's dad played college ball @ James Madison in the mid 80's & is a distant cousin of his NBA namesake. To further confuse matters, NBA Johnny Newman Jr also has a son named Johnny Newman III who plays/played @ St Augustine.

NBA Johnny Newman Jr played a couple years w/ Manning in Dallas while John Newman Jr (James Madison alum & father of our recruit) was a teammate of Danny Manning @ Greensboro Page.

Thanks for clarifying. Either way, Danny has a good connection.

Good research here.
Did you use Ancestry.com to figure this out???

Thanks, Ph. I posted an update on basketball recruiting yesterday, but I don't think it really relayed anything overly optimistic. Overall sentiment seems to be that Manning and his staff are getting in on top guys and finding them early, but haven't seemed to be able to reel them in. Now that being said, the Collins-Moore-Bryant class has a ton of potential, and just the vast amount of shooters added this year is intriguing. Can they get over the hump in the W-L column, however, without snagging at least one Top-25 type guy, because it certainly doesn't look promising for that right now?

The focus on Top 25 or 4 and 5 star recruits baffles me as I am trying to recall when in Wake history this ever was the case... granted, I am going to make reference to players before there were all of the recruiting services, but they were all major contributors to Wake in their day...

The top players in the past - Charley Davis, Gil McGregor, Skip Brown, Rod Griffin, Danny Young, Muggsy, among others - I don't recall them being highly recruited by other top schools.
Rodney Rogers was a 3* recruit from a Class 2A school or something like that
Tim Duncan was not recruited by anyone but discovered by Chris King in an exhibition game
Was Josh Howard considered a top prospect/player coming out of high school or until his Sr. year at Wake for that matter?

Conversely, some of the "top" Wake recruiting classes didn't fare all that well...
Carl Tacy had and started a four freshman class considered at the time to be one of Wake's best recruiting classes. Don't remember them achieving great success.
The AT&T class featured some of highest ranked recruits and even with three other future NBA players, Wake failed.

With the exception of Chris Paul, who lived up to his ranking coming into Wake, who are the big time recruits we've landed and who have matched their high school hype in college?

As such, the criticism of Manning failing to land the top recruits seems to me out of kilter considering Tacy, Staak, Odom, and Skip (save Chris Paul) before him didn't do much better that I can recall. You could largely say Gino had the best recruiting classes (giving him credit for keeping AT&T in tact); however, look where his recruiting landed the program (especially after AT&T).

In my opinion, Wake has always had it's best success with the diamond in the rough or off the radar type players who the coaching staff has been able to coach up over the course of their Wake Forest careers. These are the key attributes for a good coach at Wake (you can argue the same for Grobe in football - early on his staff could discern talent and coach them, but this did not seem to be the case toward the end).

I, for one, believe that Coach Manning and his staff are doing an admirable job at identification of players with potential talent as exhibited in Crawford, Collins, and Moore from last year and by some of the comments from the practices of last week on the incoming players. It is going to take another year or perhaps two to determine if the other key ingredient - ability to coach them up - exists. (And, I hope Clawson is able to do the same in football).

Last edited:
Really poor research above:

Only following Deacs since 1986....

McDonald's All-Americans:

Rodney Rogers, Chris Paul, Eric Williams, AFA, Anthony Tucker (transfer)--all earned their stripes

4 stars we got our money's worth:

Chris King, Jeff Teague, James Johnson, Ish Smith, Travis McKie, CMM, Bryant Crawford, Justin Gray, Chil

Just off the top of my head

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17- Chaundee Brown schedules visit; Watson eliminates Wake

is, was, and will forever be a ridiculous argument

Last edited:
Wake has always had it's best success with the diamond in the rough or off the radar type players who the coaching staff has been able to coach up over the course of their Wake Forest careers.

Without addressing the truth of this statement, let me just say that this approach bores me to tears. If this is what we have to rely on, I'll pass. There's paint drying somewhere.

You can recruit with the big boys at Wake if you don't suck

Wake is showing interest in 18 recruit Bol Bol, son of Manute Bol. top 5 player in his class.

Would you want your son to select a basketball program at a university where the present Athletic Director effectively destroyed the program and has dismissed two coaches after NCAA tournament participation and with winning percentages over .640?

A simple question that most coaches don't face. The Wake Forest basketball program does as long as Ron Wellman is AD.

Last edited:
Not to pile on, but Rodney Rogers was a top 10 recruit who went to a 4A high school and was a McDonald's all American. He and Chris Paul are probably the two highest rated recruits we have had in our entire history. He does not fit the coach em up diamond in the rough narrative in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back