• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Their D will be much weaker this year without Bogut, Ezeli and Barnes. They will score a ton of points and give up a ton. Like we will if we get Randolph and Brown or one of them.

AGAIN, what I'm saying is if we get the players we have a shot at, we will score a lot of points and give up a lot of points.

Last edited:
Spent about 24 hours away from the boards.

Came back to see a couple of new pages on the basketball recruiting thread and thought, "Cool... Maybe there is some news!"

I must be incapable of learning.

---

FWIW, Creamy, I don't think I am able to get "erect vibes" anymore. With recruiting, I think I've decided to just assume the worst and then be surprised when something good happens. I'll let you all know how that works out for me when something good actually happens.

Came back to see a couple of new pages on the basketball recruiting thread and thought, "Cool... Maybe there is some news!"

---

FWIW, Creamy, I don't think I am able to get "erect vibes" anymore. With recruiting, I think I've decided to just assume the worst and then be surprised when something good happens. I'll let you all know how that works out for me when something good actually happens.

I'm with you. Assume the worst in recruiting.

---

This is an understandable strategy and I'm not far behind you.

I am relatively hopeful, but I do think is Danny Manning is dramatically uncharismatic. He seems to be a good guy, possibly a great guy. Some of his talent at Tulsa doesn't fly with our ethics, but he seems to have adapted. But I think for him to succeed he needs to roll someone into a lottery pick possibility/talent. I am hopeful for John Collins, but that is an awfully lot to ask of a 3star coming out of high school, and so far, I am seeing a potential long professional career, but not necessarily an NBA one.

Crawford seems like an - at best - late 1st round pick if he develops, which is great for him, but not sure how much of a recruiting bump it creates unless 4+ years from now he is an NBA starter. I doubt Manning will get quite that much time.

I do think he could pick up momentum with that one guy, but he has to get that one guy. Since NBA talent is generally staying one year maybe two, it is harder and harder to get those guys as Duke is grabbing 3 or 4 kids a year now where they took 2 10 years ago. So, color me hopeful.

That said, looking forward to this year more than last year. Hoping for meaningful games in February from the NCAA bubble. Don't think we'll get there, but would be fun to play games with that on the line. And that would help with recruiting.

I still think Danny's story should be really brandable with parents if not their kids which does flow into our sweet spot of recruiting talented kids with a solid family structure in place.

On an equally hopeful aside - I think if the football team gets to a bowl and the basketball team gets to a tournament, you might see a change at the very top as Wellman could paint a picture of going out if not on top then with his house in order. That in itself is a good reason to be a big Arians and Woods fan

Last edited:
Manning is a pretty low key guy but that sort of fits Wake. He's not charismatic in public but it seems he has a pretty strong presence one on one. I get the impression all the recruits have a great deal of respect for him and like him after being around him, whether they come to Wake or not. The parents too. That's very Skip-like.

He definitely needs "that" recruit or needs to have some success coaching up some players into the NBA. That'll give him some traction. He has an eye for talent before it blows up so he's going to get there eventually IMO.

I'm in the camp that believes problems last year were primarily due to issues with Devin/Codi/leadership coupled with a young team. When we heard comments like "we played well as a team early on when we were all buying into the coaches strategy" while watching Devin and Codi not do the things we expected, that said quite a bit. I think we'll see better floor leadership due to addition by subtraction. More experience and depth, plus the addition of Woods and Arians outside shooting, should make us a much better team. I still wonder about D but that's a team thing and if "team" was an issue, then D would suffer. Cautiously optimistic.

It's to the point that I only occasionally check out this thread. Last season's total collapse sapped a lot of my enthusiasm for hoops. While I remain in the chorus that Manning is in over his head in the ACC, I thought he had a little momentum going with the 3 recruits and the great start last season. That's all gone now. He/we needed another as good or better 1-2 recruits incoming this year and it didn't happen. The now infrequent times I lurk here the theme is the same....lotsa talk on offers out to seemingly dozens of kids but no studs really giving Wake more than a passing glance....and it goes on and on and on.

Correct me if you can but beyond this board I sense very little if any student / local / alum enthusiasm for hoops and Manning has done very, very little to combat that on or off campus. He just doesn't seem to have an outgoing persona. The difference between him and Clawson is striking as to rallying the students, fans, alums....heck, Clawson has even schmoosed several professors into working for him in on-campus recruiting visits. And it bothers me that Manning was MIA on the various WAKE WILL caravans while Clawson attended and spoke at 3-4 stops - 2 of which were distant from campus. Also disappointed he was a no-show at the opening gala for the new fieldhouse where dozens of well-heeled alums/donors attended....the kind of people you want in your corner for support. Has Manning ever met/engaged the student body in the dorms to drum up interest ? Has he ever been regularly spotted eating lunch or a cup of coffee in any of the dining halls ? Has he ever met with/spoke to a large alum gathering ? Has he ever met/addressed a Chamber of Commerse event in downtown W-S ? Does he attend at least a couple home football games a year ? Is he regularly seen at either M/W soccer, field hockey or home baseball games ? If the answer to any of these questions is a definite YES than why is it such an apparent secret ? I've never seen a random pic of him within any general event photo album in any of these situations or heard in passing that he'd been spotted here or there.

So maybe you've caught my drift by now in describing Skip Prosser.

I wasn't here for Odom's tenure and came to Wake as Skip was hired. I'm guessing it wasn't critical back then that a personality like Prosser was desired in the job description....that quickly became a bonus after he was hired. After the disaster that was Buzz, to me it WAS mandatory that a successor - in addition to being a proven winner - must be a Prosser-like or if you will, a Clawson-like guy who would reignite the students, alums, fans and recruits for hoops. It didn't happen and it looks like hoops is just spinning it's wheels of late.

Apologies for the rant....
Good take, HONDO. Clawson definitely has the students and fan base excited.

The only three known '17 visits that are planned/scheduled are:
C. Brown - October 14th
B. Randolph - Unknown
Jamal Johnson - Late September

Wait, I thought Randolph was our Associate Head Coach? Oh I see, his son Brandon, wait, isn't he a current player? So is Randolph visiting even though he works here or is Brandon visiting, even though he plays here? I am soooo confused

Back