• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Remain firmly behind Manning.

The least of my concerns is recruiting. His first class was strong. We shall see how the current frosh look. Eggleston was a strong commitment. WF is involved with high profile talent. Like that Manning is mixing it up with major recruits. He will get his fair share, particularly if the team performs better on the court.

More concerned about what he does with the talent in the program. Even with problems with the mix of players left from the [] era, last year's team should've been better than its record, and the complete collapse in ACC play was a red flag. Every coach has a season like that at some point (some claim serious back problems in the middle of such years), but it's disconcerting that it happened in Manning's second season. Think and hope that next year will be a preview of far better days for WF, but the program needs on the court results to prove last year was the aberration.

Skips personality didn't help him after cp3 bailed. We could have a stick in the mud if he gets the performance on the floor. Especially if the team performs at or above their talent level in the process. As long as he doesnt get sideways with the ncaa and embarrass the university I don't care if has coffee with students. A nice guy who doesn't win is a Jim Caldwell. Give me a winner who doesn't talk to anyone and I can live with that.
Dense-city

Skips personality didn't help him after cp3 bailed. We could have a stick in the mud if he gets the performance on the floor. Especially if the team performs at or above their talent level in the process. As long as he doesnt get sideways with the ncaa and embarrass the university I don't care if has coffee with students. A nice guy who doesn't win is a Jim Caldwell. Give me a winner who doesn't talk to anyone and I can live with that.

Dino Gaudio coached a team full of Skip's recruits to a number 1 ranking. If you don't believe Skip's personality was a big part of that resurgence in Wake Basketball (getting those guys to commit) then we'll just agree to disagree. Despite a few poor years, Skip was still loved by the fanbase. Sure, we all wanted the results to improve but we had confidence he would get us back.

terrible take

Didn't help him win games. If helped buy him more time. After two terrible years his seat was getting pretty darn hot. Need to disconnect liking the man vs. performance on the court. He went from 'I've never finished worst than 5th' to struggling to turn around a team filled with his own recruits. That's a pretty big disconnect.

Then he left the cupboard completely full. you keep forgetting that. Please don't become Reff, Jr.

Dense-city

Was that 'no defense city'?

Great human being. That still didn't keep us from going in the toilet after getting to #1 in the country the previous year. Foolishly pegged the future to one more year of CP3 and Conley really actually loving Wake. The irony is that our super class that was to bring us back to the top had some serious defects. Our actual resurgence under Dino came because unknown to us, when they arrived, we had 3 NBA caliber players in addition to Amino who came in as an NBA prospect.

So skip gets no credit for recruiting four NBA players on the same team? OK.....

Great human being. That still didn't keep us from going in the toilet after getting to #1 in the country the previous year. Foolishly pegged the future to one more year of CP3 and Conley really actually loving Wake. The irony is that our super class that was to bring us back to the top had some serious defects. Our actual resurgence under Dino came because unknown to us, when they arrived, we had 3 NBA caliber players in addition to Amino who came in as an NBA prospect.

Wrong thread bro. You're looking for the Unpopular Opinions thread on the pit.

Whatever. I guess its all we have to hold onto, the glory days of the mid 2000's. yea.

We also lost Taron and Jamal that year. People always forget this.

The players Skip left were really good. Aminu (not Amino) was a lottery pick projection. Dino SUCKED as a coach. there's no excuse for having that much talent and getting nothing out of them.

Whatever. I guess its all we have to hold onto, the glory days of the mid 2000's. yea.

One big recruit and things will be right back to where they should be. Danny has a couple miracles left in him.

Skip was a great recruiter by Wake standards.

His defense coaching....not so much. If you replay the UNC game from CP3 sophomore year you can hear Dickie V:

"Without improving the defense the deacs aren't going anywhere in March" (paraphrase)

And scored about 120 points on their D...

BTW, if we get this really good recruiting class, do not be surprised if Danny goes all Golden State in 17-18 and try to outscore everyone.

Golden State also has one of the best defenses in the league. I'm fine with both.

They were also 4th in defensive efficiency

Back