• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Neither, just concerned about the basketball team. That team was the pride and joy of the university and Wellman has tried his best to take it down. I really want to see the Joel going nets the way it was with Chris Paul and others. We are approaching a lost decade on basketball and to see what that does to a school just look at NC State. I don't want to end up like them.

All it takes is a competent coach and recruiting. Gottfried was by no means a "great hire" according to pundits but he's not afraid to recruit against anyone, has a pretty decent product/history/history of results to sell and look what he's done. If Manning is the right guy for the job he will get it turned around soon.

Danny's first real class of Bryant, JC and Doral looks really solid. Let's see what Brandon, Sam,Keyshawn, Wash, Donovan and Austin do this year.

If we get Melo and one of Chaundee and Brandon R., we can say it looks turned around.

All it takes is a competent coach and recruiting. Gottfried was by no means a "great hire" according to pundits but he's not afraid to recruit against anyone, has a pretty decent product/history/history of results to sell and look what he's done. If Manning is the right guy for the job he will get it turned around soon.

It's to the point that I only occasionally check out this thread. Last season's total collapse sapped a lot of my enthusiasm for hoops. While I remain in the chorus that Manning is in over his head in the ACC, I thought he had a little momentum going with the 3 recruits and the great start last season. That's all gone now. He/we needed another as good or better 1-2 recruits incoming this year and it didn't happen. The now infrequent times I lurk here the theme is the same....lotsa talk on offers out to seemingly dozens of kids but no studs really giving Wake more than a passing glance....and it goes on and on and on.

Correct me if you can but beyond this board I sense very little if any student / local / alum enthusiasm for hoops and Manning has done very, very little to combat that on or off campus. He just doesn't seem to have an outgoing persona. The difference between him and Clawson is striking as to rallying the students, fans, alums....heck, Clawson has even schmoosed several professors into working for him in on-campus recruiting visits. And it bothers me that Manning was MIA on the various WAKE WILL caravans while Clawson attended and spoke at 3-4 stops - 2 of which were distant from campus. Also disappointed he was a no-show at the opening gala for the new fieldhouse where dozens of well-heeled alums/donors attended....the kind of people you want in your corner for support. Has Manning ever met/engaged the student body in the dorms to drum up interest ? Has he ever been regularly spotted eating lunch or a cup of coffee in any of the dining halls ? Has he ever met with/spoke to a large alum gathering ? Has he ever met/addressed a Chamber of Commerse event in downtown W-S ? Does he attend at least a couple home football games a year ? Is he regularly seen at either M/W soccer, field hockey or home baseball games ? If the answer to any of these questions is a definite YES than why is it such an apparent secret ? I've never seen a random pic of him within any general event photo album in any of these situations or heard in passing that he'd been spotted here or there.

So maybe you've caught my drift by now in describing Skip Prosser.

I wasn't here for Odom's tenure and came to Wake as Skip was hired. I'm guessing it wasn't critical back then that a personality like Prosser was desired in the job description....that quickly became a bonus after he was hired. After the disaster that was Buzz, to me it WAS mandatory that a successor - in addition to being a proven winner - must be a Prosser-like or if you will, a Clawson-like guy who would reignite the students, alums, fans and recruits for hoops. It didn't happen and it looks like hoops is just spinning it's wheels of late.

Apologies for the rant....

Like Clawson? Clawson has a 6-18 record and is 2-14 in the ACC. If our football had an OOC schedule like the bball does, his record would be nearly as bad this year.

Danny better be better than Clawson.

It's to the point that I only occasionally check out this thread. Last season's total collapse sapped a lot of my enthusiasm for hoops. While I remain in the chorus that Manning is in over his head in the ACC, I thought he had a little momentum going with the 3 recruits and the great start last season. That's all gone now. He/we needed another as good or better 1-2 recruits incoming this year and it didn't happen. The now infrequent times I lurk here the theme is the same....lotsa talk on offers out to seemingly dozens of kids but no studs really giving Wake more than a passing glance....and it goes on and on and on.

Correct me if you can but beyond this board I sense very little if any student / local / alum enthusiasm for hoops and Manning has done very, very little to combat that on or off campus. He just doesn't seem to have an outgoing persona. The difference between him and Clawson is striking as to rallying the students, fans, alums....heck, Clawson has even schmoosed several professors into working for him in on-campus recruiting visits. And it bothers me that Manning was MIA on the various WAKE WILL caravans while Clawson attended and spoke at 3-4 stops - 2 of which were distant from campus. Also disappointed he was a no-show at the opening gala for the new fieldhouse where dozens of well-heeled alums/donors attended....the kind of people you want in your corner for support. Has Manning ever met/engaged the student body in the dorms to drum up interest ? Has he ever been regularly spotted eating lunch or a cup of coffee in any of the dining halls ? Has he ever met with/spoke to a large alum gathering ? Has he ever met/addressed a Chamber of Commerse event in downtown W-S ? Does he attend at least a couple home football games a year ? Is he regularly seen at either M/W soccer, field hockey or home baseball games ? If the answer to any of these questions is a definite YES than why is it such an apparent secret ? I've never seen a random pic of him within any general event photo album in any of these situations or heard in passing that he'd been spotted here or there.

So maybe you've caught my drift by now in describing Skip Prosser.

I wasn't here for Odom's tenure and came to Wake as Skip was hired. I'm guessing it wasn't critical back then that a personality like Prosser was desired in the job description....that quickly became a bonus after he was hired. After the disaster that was Buzz, to me it WAS mandatory that a successor - in addition to being a proven winner - must be a Prosser-like or if you will, a Clawson-like guy who would reignite the students, alums, fans and recruits for hoops. It didn't happen and it looks like hoops is just spinning it's wheels of late.

Apologies for the rant....
Wait, HONDO isn't an old?

HONDO, you're younger than 40. Learn the Internet.

Also, punctuation !

And those who can't act become critics.:)

Last edited:
Back to recruiting, Jamal Johnson is visiting Memphis this wknd. One of our top 17 targets.

This weekend could be big. If Brown doesn't commit and we have a shot at Randolph, where would Johnson stand?

Skips personality didn't help him after cp3 bailed. We could have a stick in the mud if he gets the performance on the floor. Especially if the team performs at or above their talent level in the process. As long as he doesnt get sideways with the ncaa and embarrass the university I don't care if has coffee with students. A nice guy who doesn't win is a Jim Caldwell. Give me a winner who doesn't talk to anyone and I can live with that.

Skips personality didn't help him after cp3 bailed. We could have a stick in the mud if he gets the performance on the floor. Especially if the team performs at or above their talent level in the process. As long as he doesnt get sideways with the ncaa and embarrass the university I don't care if has coffee with students. A nice guy who doesn't win is a Jim Caldwell. Give me a winner who doesn't talk to anyone and I can live with that.

What?

Back