• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I'd take the bodies myself. Every team needs everything, even if it's just depth.

This class has it all. Needs, top end talent, positional depth. Just need to finish strong and get the mm home.

I agree. If you're going to recruit more selectively based on need, you can't have too many swings and misses.

The reason you can't take bodies is because it makes swings and misses even more devastating. If you take 5 PGs, 3 centers and only 1 PF. You could be in trouble. If you don't get enough shooters in this era, you are definitely in trouble.

This class has it all. Needs, top end talent, positional depth. Just need to finish strong and get the mm home.

Hoard, Mucius, and Laszewski are legit NBA prospects. I don't know why Mucius and Laszewski aren't rated higher. Laszewski has great size and athleticism for a modern NBA PF. He could even be a stretch 5 in a small ball lineup.

Hoard, Mucius, and Laszewski are legit NBA prospects. I don't know why Mucius and Laszewski aren't rated higher. Laszewski has great size and athleticism for a modern NBA PF. He could even be a stretch 5 in a small ball lineup.

Laszewski reminds me of Tyler Lydon in both his game and size, though Nate is a little taller and skinnier (for now, at least)... Looking back, Lydon was also a 4-star guy outside of the top 50. A guy with that skillset can absolutely kill it in today's NCAA game (and, as you mention, perhaps the NBA).

Laszewski's game fits so well with what I think Manning is trying to put together... Would LOVE to get him on the squad.

I hope Coach K doesn't watch that mixed tape of Laszero. He would offer in a second just based on number of charges taken.

The reason you can't take bodies is because it makes swings and misses even more devastating. If you take 5 PGs, 3 centers and only 1 PF. You could be in trouble. If you don't get enough shooters in this era, you are definitely in trouble.

Even a coach recruiting bodies would stop signing PGs after two or three.

I seriously doubt Danny's top priority is recruiting by literal/exact/traditional 12345 "position".

Especially since it is likely he is moving to "position less" basketball of sorts.

1. Accrue talent.
2. Determine where they play.
3. ???
4. Profit

Actually from my point of view Manning has been extremely methodical.

When Manning first came to wake he had a 2 prong focus:

1. Focus on offensive talent
2. Focus on Centers

Those were the first two priorities. [name redacted] lacked shooters and he lacked any sort of post presence.

Now that Manning has established enough players that legitimately fill out a college High Major roster, he is focusing

1. Length / positional flexibility
2. True PG / Stretch Post

My reaction upon the hiring Manning was that it was a risk, but that the top end was incredible if he could coach in game situations. There is no one with a higher recruiting ceiling in our competitive arena. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Arizona, and Kasnsas are really in a class of their own right now, but outside of those 5, there isn't anyone that I fear Manning going up against. Doesn't mean we will win them all, but we have a unique angle to present to recruits. Academics + NBA experience + Skill Development. One of the keys for us this year is to get Crawford to the league. Doing so will help prove to recruits that we can develop both guards and post players and outperform rankings to make millions. Manning already has enough ammunition to prove that he can produce NBA big men...we get Crawford in the league, then we get Brown/Hoard in the league and all of the sudden we have a pitch that will stack up even against the blue bloods.

This is a key point in our programs history. Timmy has retired and CP3 is on the backside of his career. We need to capitalize now on their popularity and make sure we fill the program with NBA players that can continue the tradition. Doing so not only insures our immediate success (because we will have NBA potential players) but also secures our future recruiting success as we will be able to make an argument based on historical data, and not future speculation.

I'd take the bodies myself. Every team needs everything, even if it's just depth.

Yeah, but I felt like some of our better teams were missing things like 1) guy who could knock down open jumpers or 2) guy who was a good perimeter defender. Stuff like that.

Actually from my point of view Manning has been extremely methodical.

When Manning first came to wake he had a 2 prong focus:

1. Focus on offensive talent
2. Focus on Centers

Those were the first two priorities. [name redacted] lacked shooters and he lacked any sort of post presence.

Now that Manning has established enough players that legitimately fill out a college High Major roster, he is focusing

1. Length / positional flexibility
2. True PG / Stretch Post

My reaction upon the hiring Manning was that it was a risk, but that the top end was incredible if he could coach in game situations. There is no one with a higher recruiting ceiling in our competitive arena. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Arizona, and Kasnsas are really in a class of their own right now, but outside of those 5, there isn't anyone that I fear Manning going up against. Doesn't mean we will win them all, but we have a unique angle to present to recruits. Academics + NBA experience + Skill Development. One of the keys for us this year is to get Crawford to the league. Doing so will help prove to recruits that we can develop both guards and post players and outperform rankings to make millions. Manning already has enough ammunition to prove that he can produce NBA big men...we get Crawford in the league, then we get Brown/Hoard in the league and all of the sudden we have a pitch that will stack up even against the blue bloods.

This is a key point in our programs history. Timmy has retired and CP3 is on the backside of his career. We need to capitalize now on their popularity and make sure we fill the program with NBA players that can continue the tradition. Doing so not only insures our immediate success (because we will have NBA potential players) but also secures our future recruiting success as we will be able to make an argument based on historical data, and not future speculation.

This. Well said.

Interview with Jalen Lecque. I thought it was interesting that Wake was the first school he listed in his answers. He obviously wants Duke and Kentucky to offer but we may be in better shape with him than I have assumed.

"Let’s go over recruiting. Who are some of the schools you’re hearing from since June 15th?

Wake Forest, Clemson, Kentucky a little, but they haven’t offered me.

But nobody in your class has .

Yeah, so I just gotta keep my head up. There’s a whole lot of other schools. You just gotta stay focused.

Who are some of the other schools that have offered you?

Wake Forest…I’ll have to look at my phone for that, but, I mean, I'm very grateful for every one. I got Tennessee, St. John's, Florida, VCU, TCU, Syracuse, Xavier, USC, UConn, Miami, Providence, Wake Forest, New Mexico, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Manhattan, Stony Brook, Iona, Seton Hall, Houston, Auburn, Illinois, and Kansas State"

http://georgiatech.247sports.com/Ar...ar-Catching-Up-With-Jalen-Lecque-Ch-106254239

Nice. He only remembered Wake and had to check on the rest.

It seems Manning and Chill are everywhere. Can't remember another staff that works this hard on the recruiting trail.

It seems Manning and Chill are everywhere. Can't remember another staff that works this hard on the recruiting trail.

This is the truth.

Knowing Chill personally, I have zero doubts that he'll get his guy 75%+ of the time. Don't know Danny but his legacy speaks for his self, as well as his current development of under the radar big men. Really, really good times are coming.

Danny was in the Caribbean yesterday on a family vaca.

He really does do it all.

Let it never be said that this staff is outworked. Truly impressive stuff this year especially.

I've been holding on to a bit of Hoard news for a long while from a #sauce and I can't say too much except what has already been said...we're in very good shape there. No vibes required.

Back