• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Manning will have an easy pitch with any 18 big men, no reason he shouldnt be able to land a stud.

Manning will have an easy pitch with any 18 big men, no reason he shouldnt be able to land a stud.

He has to offer them first. Here are some guys who we've been linked to, but who don't hold an offer at the moment:

Power Forward:

Jordan Brown (5-star: NO OFFER): Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, California, St. John’s San Francisco, and Nevada.

Simisola "Simi" Shittu (5-star: NO OFFER): Louisville, UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma, Texas, Syracuse, Connecticut, Memphis, Alabama, and Marquette.

Jalen Smith (5-star: NO OFFER): Arizona, Virginia, Florida, Maryland, Villanova, Syracuse, Providence, Miami, Stanford, USC, and Marquette.

Darius Days (3-star: NO OFFER): Virginia, Oklahoma, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Memphis, USC, VCU, UAB, and South Florida.

Joel Mensah (3-star: NO OFFER): Hofstra.

Gabe Bryant (UR: NO OFFER): Georgia Southern, Presbyterian, Lees-McRae, and North Georgia.

Ian Steere (UR: NO OFFER): Charlotte, High Point, North Florida, Hampton, and Mount Saint Mary's.

Center:

Bol Bol (5-star: NO OFFER): Kansas, Arizona, Creighton, USC, St. John's, and New Mexico State.

David McCormack (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Kansas, Maryland, Louisville, Baylor, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina State, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Mississippi, Auburn, Seton Hall, Penn State, Missouri, Virginia Commonwealth, and Old Dominion.

Immanuel Bates (UR: NO OFFER): Cincinnati, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth, DePaul. Richmond, Charlotte, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee State, Tulane, Old Dominion, Northern Arizona, and James Madison.

If he goes pro next year and continues to improve, his first contract will likely be for $5-7M more. However, he'll have an extra year to earn that.

Its a gamble on how much he will move up in the draft from this year to next, how well he thinks he will do in the league and how many years he thinks he will play. Lower starting and rookie contract salary this year vs higher rookie contract salary starting next year. Does he think he can make up the difference (and more) in years 5, 6 and later or will he be playing in Europe?

Its a gamble on how much he will move up in the draft from this year to next, how well he thinks he will do in the league and how many years he thinks he will play. Lower starting and rookie contract salary this year vs higher rookie contract salary starting next year. Does he think he can make up the difference (and more) in years 5, 6 and later or will he be playing in Europe?

Here is the NBA Rookie Payscale:

The difference between picks 10 and 25 is about a million dollars per year, coming in at just under $3 million over 3 years. As long as Collins earns a second contract, he will be fine.

As others have pointed out, I can't see a universe where Collins is a top-5 pick, let alone a top-10 pick. 2018 looks like it'll be a solid year for international players and 2017 isn't a bust year for recruiting. I'm not sure what is going to actually influence his decision - e.g., family considerations, he likes going to school, etc. - but it doesn't really make a ton of sense for him to come back if he's projected to receive a guaranteed contract.

How do you figure?

If he continues to improve, he's likely to be picked in the mid-lottery next year (I used #8). This year his ceiling seems to be around #20-25. I posted on the thread the slots from last year's draft for first contracts. That's the difference in the slot payments. It will probably go up a little, but so will his earnings for that extra year that he won't have if he waits and plays until the same age.

As I said, if he has multiple "guarantees" of being a 1st round pick this year, he should go. if it's only one or two, he shouldn't risk falling into the second round.

Honest question--lets say Collins stays, we are a top 25 next year, and he is hyped as preseason AA etc. Nobody outside of WF knows him now---but that could change next year. Does college name recognition/branding translate into the NBA? Lets assume his draft position stays mid to low 1st round regardless of when he leaves. I ask just because I think a lot of these folks who leave early basically develop in obscurity and not many outside of that particular teams fans may ever know who they are or care.

NBA scouts will know about anybody at Wake who is worth looking at. ACC is worth something. Scouts may spend more time at blueblood games, but will definitely check out anybody who is putting up numbers like Collins has in ACC play. And Wake having multiple good players in the NBA helps too. As does having Manning as coach. The players that develop in obscurity usually play at schools that have nobody of note in the NBA. Wake has decent notoriety among NBA GMs and scouts.

He has to offer them first. Here are some guys who we've been linked to, but who don't hold an offer at the moment:

so one of these guys then

Gabe Bryant (UR: NO OFFER): Georgia Southern, Presbyterian, Lees-McRae, and North Georgia.

Ian Steere (UR: NO OFFER): Charlotte, High Point, North Florida, Hampton, and Mount Saint Mary's.

Honest question--lets say Collins stays, we are a top 25 next year, and he is hyped as preseason AA etc. Nobody outside of WF knows him now---but that could change next year. Does college name recognition/branding translate into the NBA? Lets assume his draft position stays mid to low 1st round regardless of when he leaves. I ask just because I think a lot of these folks who leave early basically develop in obscurity and not many outside of that particular teams fans may ever know who they are or care.

Are you serious? Collins is one of the hottest draft prospects in the country right now.

Are you serious? Collins is one of the hottest draft prospects in the country right now.

I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about general fandom. To the average NCAA and NBA basketball fan, Collins probably isn't on their radar.

I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about general fandom. To the average NCAA and NBA basketball fan, Collins probably isn't on their radar.

I hear you, but the average NCAA and NBA fan doesn't really have any impact on the draft process. Collins is a hot commodity right now and has gotten shoutouts from the two most influential - and accurate - draft analysts in the game.

I hear you, but the average NCAA and NBA fan doesn't really have any impact on the draft process. Collins is a hot commodity right now and has gotten shoutouts from the two most influential - and accurate - draft analysts in the game.

Right, but wfupdx was referring to, I think, players like Teague and Johnson, and maybe to a lesser extent, Aminu, who left Wake early and slowly developed in the league. Wake fans tend to follow those players careers and fans of the NBA teams they play for generally should know who those players are, but average fans do not.

Assuming he means if Collins decides to stay at least 3 or even 4 years, he will be a household name.

Current NBA collective bargaining agreement locks first round draft picks to the team for at least four years, with still significant team control in the fifth year. Two year guaranteed initial contract, with years three and four team option at CBA agreed to contract dollar increases. The fifth year, the team can make a (pretty low) qualifying offer and either keep the player or be compensated if he goes elsewhere.

With the scale the way it is, either go top half of lottery or go as early as you make the first round.

Here is the NBA Rookie Payscale:

The difference between picks 10 and 25 is about a million dollars per year, coming in at just under $3 million over 3 years. As long as Collins earns a second contract, he will be fine.

As others have pointed out, I can't see a universe where Collins is a top-5 pick, let alone a top-10 pick. 2018 looks like it'll be a solid year for international players and 2017 isn't a bust year for recruiting. I'm not sure what is going to actually influence his decision - e.g., family considerations, he likes going to school, etc. - but it doesn't really make a ton of sense for him to come back if he's projected to receive a guaranteed contract.

Rookie scale salaries are increasing by 45% across the board in 2017-2018 under the new CBA. They are tied to the salary cap after that which is projected to rise a little less than 6% between 17-18 and 18-19. That makes the difference between #10 and #25 almost 7 million over the first 4 years.

so one of these guys then

My thoughts exactly

wait, why are we bitching about recruiting coming off landing our best recruit in 9 years?

We beat out a full court press from freaking Kansas for a player. Bill Self flew to Florida like 3 times in 10 days to no avail.

Right, but wfupdx was referring to, I think, players like Teague and Johnson, and maybe to a lesser extent, Aminu, who left Wake early and slowly developed in the league. Wake fans tend to follow those players careers and fans of the NBA teams they play for generally should know who those players are, but average fans do not.

Assuming he means if Collins decides to stay at least 3 or even 4 years, he will be a household name.

Yes, that's what I meant. Another year might make him a household name (at least among bball fans) and much more ready to contribute from day one. Think making an all-rookie team vs playing in NBDL games. Does this help endorsements and things of that nature? Personally, I think some players are more hype/potential than anything and they need to jump as soon as possible because they may very well NOT develop. Collins is legit and what he needs to improve upon is probably the easiest (strength, defense, and passing) and could position himself to be solid from day one.

Back