• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Basketball Recruiters (NWT)

Dammit I tried to delete because I just don't give a fuck and didn't want to get into this.

How do I always end up in this situation? Now I'm going to look like the bad guy any way you slice it because someone else is wrong and won't let go and I have to explain specifically why and others will take offense.

Read the team website. The coaches are listed on the roster under the head coach. This is almost always effectively in rank order. No one has any higher title than the other, but there's no other way you're gonna get a guy to come from Louisville to Missouri.

Nestor doesn't need the juice, he's not getting another head coaching job in D-I and probably doesn't want one. He's there to be "the veteran" similar to Gene Keady at St. John's, only Keady's not per se an assistant and Nestor actually does have one of the 3 official assistant spots.

Fuller is not leaving Missouri to go to Wake to be an assistant. I should have never said it though because the only people associated with Wake that are open season here are Lobo and [Redacted].

And now everyone can commence calling me a jerk even though I did everything possible to avoid this.

Link?

ETA: If you'll forget Bobby Petrino (Paterno, Pitino, Petrino, etc, I am sure I am not the first to slip up), I'll forget this.

You'll forget what? That you're wrong, and ridiculously so?

I am trying to be nice, don't patronize and antagonize.

That entire coaching staff has Wake ties essentially. I'll be rooting for them this year.

Bill Self overrated? He recruited the whole '05 Illinois team and has cleaned up KU. I'm puzzled by that one.

You'll forget what? That you're wrong, and ridiculously so?

I am trying to be nice, don't patronize and antagonize.

I wasn't patronizing; I was making light. That you immediately assume the opposite says a lot about you and pretty much explains why no one wants you here.

You continue to speak in absolutes about things where no one knows one way or another. I think there is a good chance that Tim Fuller would leave Frank Haith to return to Wake Forest. I don't think this is an unreasonable statement given that this is his alma mater; he spent much of his career in NC, and he has done it before. Obviously I can't know this for a fact, just like you can't know that he wouldn't return for a fact. I agree with your assertion that Jeff [Redacted] would be the road block here, but with the right compensation package/assurances that could be overcome. I do disagree with your assertion that he will be up for a high major head coach job soon. I suppose it could happen, but more often than not even rising star assistants start their head coaching careers at mid majors (exceptions of course, Dawkins and Haith come to mind).

I will concede that I was wrong wrt Fuller's status as top assistant. The rest of this, however, is opinion, not fact.

Last edited:
Didn't most here think that he would be a good hire for us? I'm not baiting, I just really don't recall that well.

His name was mentioned, but not to positive reception.

He didn't recruit most of that VCU team, IIRC.

Smart is generally considered the one that got Clemson the recruits that put us in the show multiple years under Purnell. I know there were many that cringed when he left....

Bill Self overrated? He recruited the whole '05 Illinois team and has cleaned up KU. I'm puzzled by that one.

Yeah for real. I'd be interested to see the vote distribution. With only 100 coaches voting and with how many coaches they were voting on there could be just a few votes for each guy on each list.

They've been 2nd place on A LOT of recruits lately (mainly to Calipari and Sean Miller) and only have 8 recruited scholarship players this season, due to poor recruiting. True about recruiting '05 Illinois and '08 Kansas, but he has largely been striking out since '08.

I also wonder if they are chalking up any recruiting wins to assistants Kurtis Townsend(Seattle area) and Joe Dooley(NJ area/St Pats).

He still had 2 5-stars in 2009 and 1 in 2010. I guess the past couple years haven't been as good though.

He still had 2 5-stars in 2009 and 1 in 2010. I guess the past couple years haven't been as good though.

You have to keep in mind that 2 of those 5-stars (Selby and Henry) both decommitted from their original schools late, which is the only reason Self was able to nab them. So, he originally lost those battles (to Pearl and Cal) and was the 2nd option.

I'm not saying that Self is a terrible recruiter or anything, but his rep since being at Kansas has been that he's some incredible recruiter and poor game coach. I think the recent results validate the opinion that he is overrated as a recruiter.

I wasn't patronizing; I was making light.

Then you just don't make sense.

There was nothing to "forget" about for me.

As far as Fuller goes, think what you want. Obviously no amount of reason or logic is going to keep you from it anyway.

Then you just don't make sense.

There was nothing to "forget" about for me.

As far as Fuller goes, think what you want. Obviously no amount of reason or logic is going to keep you from it anyway.

Likewise.

I was referring to your deleted post.

Likewise.

I was referring to your deleted post.

Yes, I know. I didn't delete out of embarrassment. I was trying to avoid a pointless confrontation....so yeah, that worked.

I don't need you to tell me what's logical here. I'm all too aware, and what isn't logical is thinking anyone is leaving the #1 assistant job for a 20+ win team to take the same job at Wake, probably for less money, certainly with less talent. There's not a single bit of that which makes even a little sense.

Think of it this way...could you have seen him leaving Louisville for Wake? If you say yes, just don't answer and save yourself some embarrassment.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. I didn't delete out of embarrassment. I was trying to avoid a pointless confrontation....so yeah, that worked.

I was joking around, as I was in my initial response to the pointing out of my mistake.

You are some internet tough guy.

I was joking around, as I was in my initial response to the pointing out of my mistake.

Only I was right, and there was no mistake, correct?

I thought you admitted as much.

I actually deleted something I knew was right as to try to avoid trouble, and this is the result.

Is it any wonder I don't usually go to any effort to avoid it? It doesn't do any good, people are determined to make it anyway.

Only I was right, and there was no mistake, correct?

I thought you admitted as much.

I actually deleted something I knew was right as to try to avoid trouble, and the is the result.

Is it any wonder I don't usually go to any effort to avoid it? It doesn't do any good, people are determined to make it anyway.

Yes, I did admit that you were correct on the one single fact that we have discussed.

The way you handle yourself is shockingly disgraceful; this is why you are always "in trouble." You invite it. I owned up to my mistake in an attempt to avoid trouble as well because I don't want to get in a pissing match with people. Even so, you had the slightest window in which to make an asshat of yourself, and you did.

Last edited:
Back