• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best wine for under $40

Oh man, so jealous! Have so much fun - I LOVE Argentina's wine country!

Spent four days in and around Mendoza - an awesome experience. Hit 3 wineries in Lujan de Cuyo, traveled to the Aconcagua Park, hit 3 more wineries in the Uco Valley, strolled around Mendoza city center, sampled some great restaurants at ridiculously low prices.

edited to add that I met a recent WF graduate at a wine tasting - she was traveling with her parents. I gave her a "Go Deacs", she responded that the team seemed pretty bad this year, I told her to watch the hoops team and then transitioned to discussion of Torrontes and Malbecs.

Just had a very long, fantastic day in Colchagua, south of Santiago, Chile. Clos Apaltos and Vina Montes are extraordinary wineries. Absolutely top notch experiences, 10/10 would do again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
brut rose.jpg

Had COVID during New Years so couldn't open till this weekend. Great stuff! Heavy strawberry, pear and lemon notes and tastes kind of creamy. Pretty dry though with a little minerality in the backend. The taste lingers for a while. Best part about this wine was it was only $22! Highly recommend. Seriously, I'll probably buy a case of this.

Last edited:
The Albrecht punches way above its weight. Cremant is almost always such good value and it's not everyday you find one that has the weight in a balanced creamy nature that the Albrecht rose has (a lot of them that do are overly sweet even with the high acidity in Cremant)

Spent four days in and around Mendoza - an awesome experience. Hit 3 wineries in Lujan de Cuyo, traveled to the Aconcagua Park, hit 3 more wineries in the Uco Valley, strolled around Mendoza city center, sampled some great restaurants at ridiculously low prices.

edited to add that I met a recent WF graduate at a wine tasting - she was traveling with her parents. I gave her a "Go Deacs", she responded that the team seemed pretty bad this year, I told her to watch the hoops team and then transitioned to discussion of Torrontes and Malbecs.

Just had a very long, fantastic day in Colchagua, south of Santiago, Chile. Clos Apaltos and Vina Montes are extraordinary wineries. Absolutely top notch experiences, 10/10 would do again in a heartbeat.
Love both Lujan de Cuyo/Uco Valley and Chilean wine country. Have stayed in LdC three different times and been to a couple different places in Chile. Oddly, while I've flown into Mendoza three times, I've never actually been to the city itself. We've always gone straight out to our hotel in wine country. Never went to Clos Apalta but I love their wines. My old wine shop always carries a top end and a medium end, but I've yet to see any of their stuff near my new place. Did you spend any time in Santiago? It's one of my favorite cities in the world. Went there for work in 2009 and have been back there three times since for fun (I also have a law school friend who is from/lives there, so that helps). If you ever go back to Chile, check out Valparaiso to the west. It's amazing, and the Casablanca wine region is a short drive away from there and has some really good stuff as well (overall not nearly as good as Colchagua, but still some great spots).

i remember Valparaiso taking down Ole Miss in the first round of the tournament when Bryce Drew hit that shot

Love both Lujan de Cuyo/Uco Valley and Chilean wine country. Have stayed in LdC three different times and been to a couple different places in Chile. Oddly, while I've flown into Mendoza three times, I've never actually been to the city itself. We've always gone straight out to our hotel in wine country. Never went to Clos Apalta but I love their wines. My old wine shop always carries a top end and a medium end, but I've yet to see any of their stuff near my new place. Did you spend any time in Santiago? It's one of my favorite cities in the world. Went there for work in 2009 and have been back there three times since for fun (I also have a law school friend who is from/lives there, so that helps). If you ever go back to Chile, check out Valparaiso to the west. It's amazing, and the Casablanca wine region is a short drive away from there and has some really good stuff as well (overall not nearly as good as Colchagua, but still some great spots).

We stayed briefly in the Providencia district and enjoyed it. We felt like the only tourists there, which was kind of cool.

We spend more time in Mendoza. In central Mendoza we had two amazing meals with drinks, appetizers, for under $100 US including tip - recommend Centauro and Soberana for dinner.

I'll keep your Casablanca recommendation in mind - and if you ever get a chance to get to Clos Apalta or Vina Montes (and their restaurant, Fuego Apalta) - do it!

I bought 4 bottles of a 2016 Brunello online and received 4 bottles of 2017. Not happy about it.

Shared a couple bottles of this Saturday night while the Deacs were destroying Cuse because of course.

1707254528073.jpeg

What is the concensus on storing your wine? I keep mine in a cool basement on some shelves that came with the house but am looking for an upgrade.

What do you all think about wine fridges?

I bought one a few months ago from Wine Enthusiast and really like it so far. Hoping it lasts. The small under counter one that came with our house is now dedicated to whites; the new 200 bottle fridge is for reds that I’m trying to hold back for a while. Once you start to fill it up it gets easier to leave something alone for years.

Just picked up a Wine Enthusiast fridge for the basement before Christmas. It's very no frills, single temp 150 bottles or so. Happy with it, plus I put everything into CellarTracker when I loaded it up so I'm nice and organized now. Also I like drinking my reds on the cooler side so overall very happy with the move.

If I had the space and time I'd think about building my own but no chance for now.

Avoid the super cheap ones unless you’re okay with replacing it every couple of years

I've seen some people do really cool things turning the space under a staircase into a wine fridge/cellar.

One of my wife's family friends we are close with turned a walk-in pantry into a walk-in wine fridge that is epic. It even has a drain built-in, I guess in case a bottle ever breaks.

What is the concensus on storing your wine? I keep mine in a cool basement on some shelves that came with the house but am looking for an upgrade.

What do you all think about wine fridges?
how consistent is the temperature in your basement? I have a friend whose basement is consistently 55-65 F. No need for a wine fridge if that is the case.

Back