• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Are we going to expel any students chanting anti-Palestine slogans? Wondering where we draw that line?
They don't need to chant. The cops, administration, and the US government are on their side.

They don't need to. The cops, administration, and the US government are on their side.
Been awhile since I was in college but I feel like getting arrested does a lot of work towards getting expelled, so it’s a very effective system to compel people to move along with their lives ignoring institutional complicity in genocide vs royally fucking up their lives to bring attention to institutions complicity in genocide. Interesting how power works.

Last edited:
A Dem. Republican presidents get credit for stuff they didn't even do.
I appreciate your dedication to Biden on here, but I feel like every president gets ripped for what they do and what they don't do. It just kinda goes along with the territory. The really efficacious presidents choose not to give a fuck and just enact their agenda anyway, The less efficacious presidents pretend like bipartisanship is a thing and feel like they have to engage directly with public sphere/social media criticism.

to my knowledge, the American government and society aren’t funding, enabling, and participating in the Sudanese Civil War. Presuming your question isn’t rhetorical.
Not rhetorical, but I think outrage for a humanitarian crisis should be a little more consistent, regardless of direct involvement.

Seems like an overreaction. I'm sure everyone will agree that we really just need these colleges to enforce their own rules, trespass anyone who doesn't belong on their campus, and expel any of their own students who are chanting pro-Hamas and antisemitic slogan or intimidating Jewish students.
I'm not comfortable with reactionaries and goys deciding what is and what isn't antisemitism (or even contributing to the debate, for that matter)

Not rhetorical, but I think outrage for a humanitarian crisis should be a little more consistent, regardless of direct involvement.
You clearly aren't following any of these social movements, man. There is ample care for other international atrocities.

But your concern trolling is noted.

Racism and similar should not be tolerated, period.
an actual, real live Jew chiming in here to say that like 90% of the reported incidents and slogans aren't remotely anti-semitic

i learned what anti-semitism was growing up in Winston-Salem, NC

You clearly aren't following any of these social movements, man. There is ample care for other international atrocities.

But your concern trolling is noted.
I didn't see protests at this level for other conflicts recently.

Being disingenuous is boring. Just post your take instead of lofting up bait questions.
I wanted your opinion on it. I've heard others ask the question and wanted to know what people on the other side think.

Been awhile since I was in college but I feel like getting arrested does a lot of work towards getting expelled, so it’s a very effective system to compel people to move along with their lives ignoring institutional complicity in genocide vs royally fucking up their lives to bring attention to institutions complicity in genocide. Interesting how power works.

So they're not wearing masks because of Covid ?

an actual, real live Jew chiming in here to say that like 90% of the reported incidents and slogans aren't remotely anti-semitic

i learned what anti-semitism was growing up in Winston-Salem, NC

Okay, so 90% of what happened on January 6 was probably okay too, no ?

How about these slogans?:
Long Live the Intifada
Go Back to Poland
Al-Qassam's next targets (sign with an arrow pointed at a Jewish woman)

I didn't see protests at this level for other conflicts recently.
To be clear, the anti-Zionist protests are targeted at the US government and US-based institutions. That's why they make sense as a protest movement.

The US has very little invested in these other crises like the ones in Sudan, DRC, and China - to name the bigger ones at the moment - so it doesn't actually make a ton of sense to orient a domestic protest movement around them. There is plenty of internationalist humanitarian movement focus on these crises.

Okay, so 90% of what happened on January 6 was probably okay too, no ?

How about these slogans?:
Long Live the Intifada
Go Back to Poland
Al-Qassam's next targets (sign with an arrow pointed at a Jewish woman)
No, I found most of what happened on January 6 to be insurrectionist. I don't recall there being much anti-semitism, unless you're confusing 1/6 with 10/7.

#1 is not anti-semitic
#2 is anti-semitic
#3 was actually a zionist campus organizer's sign (you can tell bc they spelled Al-Qassam as "Al-Qasam," which is a spelling that's distinctly Israeli (and they wore their keffiyah incorrectly, not that this registers to most people, so I'm not gonna hold it against anyone.)

I hope that helps.

Being disingenuous is boring.
Tell it to self-proclaimed nerdy policy wonk Lara.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/6408/text

“(E) ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW BY INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE INDEPENDENT OFFICE OF APPEALS.—In the case of the designation of an organization by the Secretary as a terrorist supporting organization under subparagraph (B), a dispute regarding such designation shall be subject to resolution by the Internal Revenue Service Independent Office of Appeals under section 7803(e) in the same manner as if such designation were made by the Internal Revenue Service and paragraph (5) of this subsection did not apply.
“(F) JURISDICTION OF UNITED STATES COURTS.—Notwithstanding paragraph (5), the United States district courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to review a final determination with respect to an organization’s designation as a terrorist supporting organization under subparagraph (B). In the case of any such determination which was based on classified information (as defined in section 1(a) of the Classified Information Procedures Act), such information may be submitted to the reviewing court ex parte and in camera. For purposes of this subparagraph, a determination with respect to an organization’s designation as a terrorist supporting organization shall not fail to be treated as a final determination merely because such organization fails to utilize the dispute resolution process of the Internal Revenue Service Independent Office of Appeals provided under subparagraph (E).”.

No, I found most of what happened on January 6 to be insurrectionist. I don't recall there being much anti-semitism, unless you're confusing 1/6 with 10/7.

#1 is not anti-semitic
#2 is anti-semitic
#3 was actually a zionist campus organizer's sign (you can tell bc they spelled Al-Qassam as "Al-Qasam," which is a spelling that's distinctly Israeli (and they wore their keffiyah incorrectly, not that this registers to most people, so I'm not gonna hold it against anyone.)

I hope that helps.
So even though the Intifada sometimes includes terrorist attacks against Israelis it's not anti-Semitic ? I guess you know better, but I wouldn't want to be sitting at a cafe in Tel-Aviv next to a guy with C-4 taped to his body telling me about how the Intifada isn't anti-Semitic.

Back