• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black Friday Deals

:squint: Why would you wait 6-12 months for something you could go out and buy in 20 minutes? You can go to Wal-Mart any time (not on Black Friday) and get a Samsung or Western Digital 500gb+ pocket HD for like 50 bucks.
Because the price has nearly tripled on most hard drives.

Is Black Friday a good way to get desktop computers? I need to get 4 or 5, nothing fancy, but decent workstations. I am absolutely not going to a store on Black Friday but if there are good deals on these online, I'd be interested in that.

I heard Wal-mart is starting Black Friday at 10 PM on Thursday night this year, and most places are starting at Midnight instead of the crazy early morning hours - I might actually go, if I am not asleep from all the turkey.

I need an external hard-drive... would prefer something >500GB and usb powered...

rather than posting a new thread; what's going to be my best value? Anything Black-Friday related that should make me consider waiting?

Here is an 80 dollar Western Digital 750GB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive with free shipping from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+My+Passport+Essential+SE+750GB+External+USB+3.0/2.0+Portable+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1250646.p?id=1218242905222&skuId=1250646

I heard Wal-mart is starting Black Friday at 10 PM on Thursday night this year, and most places are starting at Midnight instead of the crazy early morning hours - I might actually go, if I am not asleep from all the turkey.

This is genius.

I use my Xbox downstairs for watching movies and downloaded tv shows but almost never for gaming. I was thinking about grabbing a 2nd one for upstairs and Amazon is running a cool deal:

$199 xbox 360 4gb
$50 credit
Buy one game get 2nd for 50% off

So I got a new 360, arkham asylum, and mw3 for < $230 shipped.

Hard to beat if you're thinking about Christmas presents...

I use my Xbox downstairs for watching movies and downloaded tv shows but almost never for gaming. I was thinking about grabbing a 2nd one for upstairs and Amazon is running a cool deal:

$199 xbox 360 4gb
$50 credit

You could buy a <125$ Blu-ray player with the same online capabilities as your 360, and then just move your Xbox upstairs. Otherwise you've just got a really expensive dvd player downstairs.

You could buy a <125$ Blu-ray player with the same online capabilities as your 360, and then just move your Xbox upstairs. Otherwise you've just got a really expensive dvd player downstairs.

I'm guessing he streams media through his Xbox.... not many Blu Ray's are capable of doing that well.

Uh, trust me, I've got it covered. There is no Blu Ray player at any price that can do what my Xbox is currently doing, minus a PS3.

Not looking for advice, just noting a pretty good deal.

$199 xbox 360 4gb
$50 credit

Now I just need to find a cheap kinect. I want to replace my media server/machine in the living room with an Xbox and move the server to the back of the house where it's not in the way. As a plus and to help justify the decision, my kids can play kinect games. :)

Uh, trust me, I've got it covered. There is no Blu Ray player at any price that can do what my Xbox is currently doing, minus a PS3.

Not looking for advice, just noting a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing with your XBox, but most recent Blu-ray players are capable of streaming media from local devices. LG's are the easiest.

The xbox deal sounds ok, but the small HD might be a problem if you plan on downloading extra content.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing with your XBox, but most recent Blu-ray players are capable of streaming media from local devices. LG's are the easiest.

Eh, there's capable and there's capable. I'm running a htpc based on Media Center that streams 1080p pulled from OTA and clear-QAM which the Xbox can play directly as a media center extender. I've seen the cifs implementations on the LG side for streaming but I prefer NAS to transcoding in general, and I don't want to be fighting the codec battle with blu-ray firmware on a cheap player that will stop being updated in 6 months. The one LG I tried connecting to a samba share was less than impressive as far as pq is concerned, and ff/rw was brutal. The CPU's in those things are garbage compared to a gaming system.

The xbox is just far more flexible, has far more power, and has far better support than any cheap blu ray player - or any expensive one for that matter. A ps3 prob even more so since it has networking/media/blu ray all included - but it can't extend a WMC. Plus I barely have enough time to play video games at all, let alone own multiple gaming systems.

The xbox deal sounds ok, but the small HD might be a problem if you plan on downloading extra content.

Very true. I checked that out and they have generic 60gb drives on ebay for like $20. Figured I'll just go that route since I don't use the local drive for media storage. If you did, it might be worth getting the huge OEM version.

$199 xbox 360 4gb
$50 credit

Sorry if I'm repeating anyone... but gamertags can only be linked to one xbox and it takes about 5-10 minutes to 'recover' your account each time.

I had an original 360 that started getting very finicky (disc tray sticking, etc) so i bought an Elite with the same plan you had... it is more trouble than its worth because of the xbox live thing.

Back