• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black & Gold Madness Observations...

coredeac

Reaction score
Anyone have observations from tonight's Black & Gold Madness basketball extravaganza?

Hopefully, Bz was not as awkward as last year. Well, okay. Wishful thinking there.

A WF student hit a half court shot, so there's that. Word is Buzz wanted to offer him a scholarship on the spot to play the 2, but then he realized he doesn't have any left.

https://vine.co/v/hwQwiauLT1l

Casstevens ruled it legit.

Reactions: Ayo
The gym was maybe 80% full five minutes before it started. It was almost full when it started, even though significant space was reserved for the band, the football team, and basketball families. The enthusiasm was muted throughout, except when the student "David" proved to be the best shooter in the gym by cleaning up the prize package with a layup, FT, 3, and midcourt shot.

The women's team couldnt throw it in the ocean standing on a pier. It was shocking. They looked bad in warmups, then ended a six-minute scrimmage with a final score of 4-2.

The men played an exhibition of the most basic kind ... with absolutely no defense in sight. I'm sure it was fun for them, but nothing could be concluded from it. There were actually scattered but audible boos when Bz was introduced. I admit I was surprised. I would have guessed that the disgruntled would have just remained silent. There werent many, but they were there.

It was a bit poignant to reflect yet again on what it was like five years ago, compared to the forced spectacle witnessed tonight.

The gym was maybe 80% full five minutes before it started. It was almost full when it started, even though significant space was reserved for the band, the football team, and basketball families. The enthusiasm was muted throughout, except when the student "David" proved to be the best shooter in the gym by cleaning up the prize package with a layup, FT, 3, and midcourt shot.

The women's team couldnt throw it in the ocean standing on a pier. It was shocking. They looked bad in warmups, then ended a six-minute scrimmage with a final score of 4-2.

The men played an exhibition of the most basic kind ... with absolutely no defense in sight. I'm sure it was fun for them, but nothing could be concluded from it. There were actually scattered but audible boos when Bz was introduced. I admit I was surprised. I would have guessed that the disgruntled would have just remained silent. There werent many, but they were there.

It was a bit poignant to reflect yet again on what it was like five years ago, compared to the forced spectacle witnessed tonight.
This is all just so sad. Glad that Buzz got booed though.

Remember when we used to have it at midnight and Reynolds was packed?

The absolute best was 2006. Skip introduced the team in the Joel, we watched the game, headed over to tailgate at BB&T and then watched the football
team win against BC on ESPN's prime-time game on national television on our way to the Orange Bowl!!

$250 for making a half court shot? #lowf

He won a lot more than that. He and 14 friends won a suite at the Joel for the Duke game plus they get their picture taken with the team after the game (why they aren't doing it before the game I'll never know). He also got a hotel stay in Raleigh, plus two tickets to the NC State vs. Wake game, $50 gift certificate to Village Tavern and I think 2 courtside seats to the Richmond game.

But I think Baby Deac's assessment was pretty accurate. Negative defense was being played. I was hoping to try and learn anything at all tonight, but you really couldn't take anything away from the game. I do think Codi is noticeably better, but again, it was just a dunk contest. My biggest takeaway is probably that Miles Overton is a bit of a ball hog and that's the last person on earth we want to be hogging the ball.

But I think Baby Deac's assessment was pretty accurate. Negative defense was being played. I was hoping to try and learn anything at all tonight, but you really couldn't take anything away from the game. I do think Codi is noticeably better, but again, it was just a dunk contest. My biggest takeaway is probably that Miles Overton is a bit of a ball hog and that's the last person on earth we want to be hogging the ball.
Overton seems like a bit of a showboat. He's gonna have a rude awakening come ACC play.

random things I noticed posted here with no comment.

Travis sat on the stairs behind the bench and on the scorer's table during the skills competition and the girls game.

Our best looking five during warmups were Travis, Devin, Madison, Codi and Coron.

80% of the points in the scrimmage came from uncontested alley-oops.

Devin hit a 10 foot baseline jumper with a very soft touch.

Miles Overton constantly had the same smile on his face as the one when you embarrass yourself in front of your friends and try to play it off like you were trying to be funny.

Miles Overton is the biggest guard we have had in a while.

I hate to say it but Rountree looked rough and Andre still looks out of shape.

Our top 7 right now are: Travis, Devin, Codi, Coron, Madison, Moto, Cavanaugh. They should get the majority of the minutes.

Back