• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black & Gold Madness Observations...

Holy shit you weren't kidding about all those 'oops

1/3 of the video is dedicated to the kid who hit the half court shot. No Bz sighting.

love that after i watched this... highlight video... that one of the next choices to watch is of shaka.

But I think Baby Deac's assessment was pretty accurate. Negative defense was being played. I was hoping to try and learn anything at all tonight, but you really couldn't take anything away from the game. I do think Codi is noticeably better, but again, it was just a dunk contest. My biggest takeaway is probably that Miles Overton is a bit of a ball hog and that's the last person on earth we want to be hogging the ball.

I said it on here a few times when he committed. I was his camp counselor a few years ago at the Phil Martelli basketball camp when I was in college. He was a huge ball hog that did not work at all with others. He was a rude kid. Granted he was just that at the time, a kid. I hope his attitude has changed but my week spent with him was less than enjoyable. He seemed to think he should be able to do what he wanted at all times because of who his dad was.

So we saw 2/3 of the total points in the women's scrimmage.

If you follow the scoreboard, those alley oops may have been about half the points until it got to 16-16 or close to that. Not sure why they weaved in warm up dunks with the scrimmage dunks.

I know traditionally you don't expect much from a "madness" scrimmage. Understandable. Things are different this year in that the team has been practicing for 2 weeks. It would be nice to see that reflected in the highlights.

Cumby sure wasn't lying. Negative defense being played in that video.

He was over the line. And his polo was tucked into his shorts while doing it. Disqualified.

Honestly, the most impressive highlight in the video is the Deacon jumping over the ball rack. Sign him up.

He won a lot more than that. He and 14 friends won a suite at the Joel for the Duke game plus they get their picture taken with the team after the game (why they aren't doing it before the game I'll never know). He also got a hotel stay in Raleigh, plus two tickets to the NC State vs. Wake game, $50 gift certificate to Village Tavern and I think 2 courtside seats to the Richmond game.

You don't do it before the game because that is game preparation. Players should be focused on the game without distractions. Not that it is a huge ordeal to get everyone in the picture, but that just is not going to be a priority right before a game against Duke is about to begin.

It could have been worse I suppose...

AP695708722778.jpg

I said it on here a few times when he committed. I was his camp counselor a few years ago at the Phil Martelli basketball camp when I was in college. He was a huge ball hog that did not work at all with others. He was a rude kid. Granted he was just that at the time, a kid. I hope his attitude has changed but my week spent with him was less than enjoyable. He seemed to think he should be able to do what he wanted at all times because of who his dad was.

Really appreciate the insight. I hate to judge a kid based on a damn 6 minute "scrimmage," but I absolutely hated his attitude/arrogance/carelessness. It rubs me the wrong way when the Deacon is dancing to a song and then Miles tries to make it all about him. I'm all for kids having fun (I'm 23), but he was just trying to grab the spotlight. He was throwing careless lobs/chucking and just laughing about it.

Really appreciate the insight. I hate to judge a kid based on a damn 6 minute "scrimmage," but I absolutely hated his attitude/arrogance/carelessness. It rubs me the wrong way when the Deacon is dancing to a song and then Miles tries to make it all about him. I'm all for kids having fun (I'm 23), but he was just trying to grab the spotlight. He was throwing careless lobs/chucking and just laughing about it.

In his defense and the team as a whole, I don't think they take the basketball seriously at these events. In fact, they are probably told to showboat a little to get the fans fired up. It like an NBA all-star game more than anything else.

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

In his defense and the team as a whole, I don't think they take the basketball seriously at these events. In fact, they are probably told to showboat a little to get the fans fired up. It like an NBA all-star game more than anything else.

And I realize that. I know it's supposed to be a fun thing and I know that at other midnight madness events, players come out to their own songs and dunce for a bit and dunk, and I'm completely cool with that. Hell, John Wall started a new dance that even I can do. I loved that Devin was intense in this thing.

Certainly (hopefully) overreaction theater on my part.

The only thing I liked about that video is the Bill Moto windmill. Dude's got some crazy athleticism.

Back