• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking Bad - Final Season - SEASON 5 (Part II) Premieres Aug. 11

Skylar's arc is actually trickier than Walt's. She is an innocent, like Walt. He gets his diagnosis and starts cooking which changes him. Skylar goes on unsuspecting so still innocent. Helps an ex-lover with trick his books, grows apart from Walt and has an affair, and then kind of suddenly steps deep into it when she finds out what Walt is doing she doesn't go straight to Hank. Instead she lets Walt help her solve her problem with the ex-lover. Now, she's in it but ambivalently. She loathes herself and Walt. Basically waiting for him to die which is a darker motivation than Walt's. Yeah she doesn't kill people, but that's dark. He doesn't die. He gets caught and still she sides with him - I guess for the money. Maybe she sort of likes badass Walt a little bit. But anyway, it's a jagged character arc and one that doesn't elicit alot of sympathy. Also, much harder to nail probably in both writing and acting.

Plus, she got a bit fat for a season or two when she had her baby in real life. If she had tight little arms and chin like she does now she'd probably have elicited more sympathy from the mostly male viewers.

The song they chose for the finale teaser is called "Line of Fire" by Junip. I wonder how much, if any, input Gilligan has on the way the show is marketed, because the lyrics to the song are perfect (bolding is mine):

What would you do
If it all came back to you
Each crest of each wave
Bright as lightning
What would you say
If you had to leave today
Leave everything behind
Even though for once your shining

Standing on higher ground
But when you hear the sounds
You realize it's just a whim
And you notice it matters
Who and what you let under your skin

If put to the test
Would you step back from the line of fire
Hold everything back
All emotions and desires

Convince yourself to be someone else
And hold back from the world
Your lack of confidence
What you choose to believe in
Dictates your rise or your fall

With no one else around you
No one to understand you
No one to hear your calls
Look through all your dark corners
When you're backed up against the wall
Step back from the line of fire

What would you do
If it all came back to you
Each crest of each wave
Bright as lightning

I'd do the same as you would
I'd do the same as you would
What you choose to believe in
Dictates your rise or your fall

With no one else around you
No one to understand you
No one to hear your calls
Look through all your dark corners
When you're backed up against the wall
Step back from the line of fire
Step back

Btw, you can d/l it for free here: http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2013/07/15/exclusive-mp3-junip-line-of-fire-free-download/

DUDE i didn't know they had chosen that song as a teaser for the finale. I fucking love that song. Was hyping it hard on the music thread and my music microblog, and to friends.

As much assistance as APD and the DEA have provided the show, you know the morale of this story is going to be "crime doesn't pay" and "meth is bad." So yeah, it's going to be sad with no winners.

One thing I read yesterday is how Cranston came to be Walt. Gilligan was working on X-Files and cast Cranston in an episode about a guy who feels ELF waves and is in increasing pain. He's also a bigot which makes him hard for Mulder to work with. Anyway, Cranston played the part so well, Gilligan wanted him for Breaking Bad years later. The network people did NOT want Cranston, having been only familiar with him from Malcolm/Middle. So Gilligan played that episode of the X-Files and everyone was sold.

That episode of x files was money! Gilligan, not surprising, was involved in some of the very best of the x files.

Interesting prediction I just saw on twitter:

"It was Feds that caught Jessie on fence.Murder of girl was a flashback. She was killed b4 the Jessie escape.”

Went back and looked. You cant actually identify any of the nazis who catch Jesse climbing, as they have flashlights over their faces. Obviously that was intentional. But why?

I think Walt kills the Gray Matter people.

DUDE i didn't know they had chosen that song as a teaser for the finale. I fucking love that song. Was hyping it hard on the music thread and my music microblog, and to friends.

what's the difference between a microblog and say... the daily caroline?

"It was Feds that caught Jessie on fence.Murder of girl was a flashback. She was killed b4 the Jessie escape.”

that was my first thought but it seems incredibly unlikely there wouldn't be some sort of commotion when they raid the place that Jesse would hear

Whoa. This is the first time I've rewatched anything - the scene where Walt gets his cancer diagnosis in the Pilot is identical to when Skylar realizes her life is fucked during the meeting with the prosecuting agents.

Went back and looked. You cant actually identify any of the nazis who catch Jesse climbing, as they have flashlights over their faces. Obviously that was intentional. But why?

Except that there's no way- NO WAY- Jesse would be warming up to Todd if he'd just seen him kill Angela. And the feds getting Jesse doesn't jibe- why would they be inside the compound and have so many of them respond to a guy trying to jump the fence to get out? Why would they risk exposing themselves? If they already had Todd and Company in custody, there'd be commotion, lights, and vehicles everywhere. I like the thinking but it doesn't seem to jibe with circumstances.

Except that there's no way- NO WAY- Jesse would be warming up to Todd if he'd just seen him kill Angela. And the feds getting Jesse doesn't jibe- why would they be inside the compound and have so many of them respond to a guy trying to jump the fence to get out? Why would they risk exposing themselves? If they already had Todd and Company in custody, there'd be commotion, lights, and vehicles everywhere. I like the thinking but it doesn't seem to jibe with circumstances.

When he turns around and screams to end it all at them, he seems to clearly know who they are. I don't think he would have had that reaction if it were the Feds.

I have no idea where you got this from, especially from TexasDeac's post.

I think this whole idea of being a good viewer or bad viewer of BB is a bit overblown, but I think Gilligan himself has said he doesn't understand the people who hated Skylar so much. My gf watches at this bar in Brooklyn every week and she said when the Nazis showed up, a crowd started cheering.

I feel like "doing it wrong" in that sense, is not recognizing who the writers are trying to set up as the good guys and bad guys.

It's fairly easy to track that for people like Walt, who went from morally ambiguous, a victim of circumstance who was backed into a corner, to a murderer very quickly. It's not so simple for people like Jesse, who is by now completely tortured by his decisions, and who has mostly been an unwilling passenger for the whole series.

People are free to root for who they root for. I, for one, don't think GreekDeac's assessment of Walt Jr makes much sense. Hence why I posted what I did. I'm no fan of Flynn as a character, but I sympathize with his reactions these past two episodes. He feels terrified and betrayed and grief stricken, and doesn't want his dad's blood money. And he hasn't "broken bad." Clearly greekdeac has no idea what that even means.

Piggybacking on Townie's post, here's a critic's takedown of people who cheer for Walt as a hero: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/breaking-bad-reactions_b_3942905.html

Okay I'm with you, and I agree. I don't think there is anyway, at this point, Walt can or should be viewed as a "hero." Obviously I can see people being emotionally attached to him, because his character development has been an intense and emotional ride, and Cranston is amazing in the role. Having said that, Walt has committed one too many completely unforgiveable acts, and has ruined quite a few lives. Under no circumstance can I imagine anyone cheering for the nazis when they showed up, that boggles my mind, although Hank was hard to root for by the end as well....

Either way, Flynn is still a huge bitch and supremely annoying.

When he turns around and screams to end it all at them, he seems to clearly know who they are. I don't think he would have had that reaction if it were the Feds.

I don't think it's the feds, but screaming could be frustration.

Jesse says go ahead and kill me as I am not cooking any more for you f****. That probably would not be his choice of words to a bunch of Feds. I can't imagine after shooting Andrea that he has just continued to cook & be caged up for another 3-4 months w/o any issues. I am sure they will elaborate on his story for those 3-4 months as I'd be surprised to just see him still in a cage making pure meth for the Nazis.

Team Todd/Landry all the way
Screen-Shot-2013-09-23-at-8.41.21-AM-640x357.png

Back