• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryce Harper Is As Advertised

Went to the Grasshoppers game Friday night.

Bryce Harper (#1 draft pick for Nats) put one WAY out, and hit a hard double to left center.

He played RF, and threw one about 270 on a rope.

All in all, he's diesel. Nats will be lucky to have him once he's ready.

Nats say that he won't see the bigs this year. What do you say, WUTBW?

The GM definitively said no. I agree with that decision. He is plenty young. Don't ruin him by bringing him up too early.

Don't think he will get a September call up. Have they said if they will skip him to AA yet?

I think he'll work up through the minors this year. Keep working on plate discipline, get used to better and better pitcher control and or course work on his fielding. He's got the tools to play now, but I like the decision to bring him along slowly.

Honestly, I like the moves the Nats are making overall. They could be set for quite a 2012 with he and Strausburg at full strength.

Don't think he will get a September call up. Have they said if they will skip him to AA yet?

His next move is the high A Potomac.

I am glad we are not going to bring him up in September. Part of what makes this kid great is his confidence (borderline arrogance). One sure way to kill that part of his game (and make no mistake it is a big part of his game) is to bring him up before he is ready. He is only 18 so there is no rush to bring him up unless you know he is ready to be up to stay.

His next move is the high A Potomac.

I am glad we are not going to bring him up in September. Part of what makes this kid great is his confidence (borderline arrogance). One sure way to kill that part of his game (and make no mistake it is a big part of his game) is to bring him up before he is ready. He is only 18 so there is no rush to bring him up unless you know he is ready to be up to stay.

I'll go watch him at the Dash if he moves to Potomac.

This reminds me of Billy Beane's story. Brought up too fast, struggled with failure for the first time in his life. Never had the confidence he once had and continued to struggle.

I'll go watch him at the Dash if he moves to Potomac.

Hope they promote him for the series here in W-S starting Memorial Day. I know that there was some talk of that happening. I would love to see him play in person.

Are they planning on moving Werth when they promote him? Or moving him to accommodate Werth?

Anybody know when Harper will be playing in the minors in the Triad or Triangle areas again?

Machado was doing better.

Harper will probably have problems with strikeouts his entire career.

Fan graphs article tracking Harper's numbers in the minors thus far against A-Rod, Chipper and Griffey:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/bryce-harper-best-prospect-ever/

Agree with the general sentiment on this thread that he ought to stay in the minors at least until the start of '12 season, maybe longer. We're shaping up to be a very, very young team next year with Ramos, Strasburg, Desmond, Espinosa, Bernadina, and perhaps Harper all likely to get serious time.

ETA: Bernadina is not a sure fire major leaguer next year - just wishful thinking on my part :)

I read an article not too long ago that basically said Griffey could hit pretty much anyone they threw at him from Day 1. They actively sought out the best lefty pitchers for him to go up against. Dude was an absolute stud.

Hope they promote him for the series here in W-S starting Memorial Day. I know that there was some talk of that happening. I would love to see him play in person.

From what I am hearing they would like to keep him at low A until at least early June (their all-star game) and then bring him up to Potomac.

I think he'll work up through the minors this year. Keep working on plate discipline, get used to better and better pitcher control and or course work on his fielding. He's got the tools to play now, but I like the decision to bring him along slowly.

Honestly, I like the moves the Nats are making overall. They could be set for quite a 2012 with he and Strausburg at full strength.

Just a couple more DFL finishes and they'll be a contender.

I expect the Nationals not to call him up until midway through the 2012 season.

No reason to rush it now and waiting until midway through the season gives them extra time with him in the long run.

Also, the Billy Beane comparison is way off. This kid is NO Billy Beane, in a very good way. Billy would agree.

They won't call him up next year until the date that allows him to qualify for a year towards his arbitration date.

Back