• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams to Va Tech

VT's history became irrelevant when they joined the ACC. Any ACC school that puts the resources into basketball and makes a good hire for coach can win.

VT is going to be much more successful than Wake in the coming years. Gonna have a better coach and much better recruits.

Kind of hard to say one way or another until we know who our next coach is. Even then, conventional wisdom often has a way of turning on its head.

Hell, we could end up with Danny Manning and not know we just hired a HoF coach.

Are there violations that are about to hit Marquette or something? If there aren't, let's start a rumor that there are to steer people away from that job.

Are there violations that are about to hit Marquette or something? If there aren't, let's start a rumor that there are to steer people away from that job.

Rumor was already started and then squashed by their AD office yesterday.

loneycafe wrote: Interesting that Marquette's compliance director posted in the thread and said it is not true that the program is under investigation. The mods have since locked the thread.

---------------------------------------------
--- BigPack1517 wrote:

Hmm, there may be an explanation about Buzz getting out of Marquette...

Link

Rumor is that Marquette's basketball program is about to go under investigation according to a "reliable" poster on their forum. Take it for what it's worth.

Also, this could throw a monkey wrench into Wake's coaching search. Looks like Marquette is interested in Howland and apparently Howland is interested in Marquette.

---------------------------------------------
rulzgal
Walk-On

Re: Sitting On This Rumor Until Now: BBall program is under investigation
« Reply #29 on: Today at 05:27:32 PM »
We appreciate your support of Marquette Athletics, but this thread was brought to our attention and I feel compelled to comment. There are no investigations that our department is aware of, and I would hate for such unjust rumors to damage us in our search for a new head coach. But these rumors are absolutely untrue.

Thank you,
Danielle Josetti
Associate Athletics Director - Compliance
Reply | Quote

Kind of hard to say one way or another until we know who our next coach is. Even then, conventional wisdom often has a way of turning on its head.

I don't know who our next coach is going to be but I'm confident Ron is not going to hire a better coach. And given the academic situation in Blacksburg I expect he will start bringing in some legit ballers in the coming years, especially compared to us. Wake basketball is headed in the wrong direction. Ron has to go.

Watched one of those ESPNU deals on Williams. He seems to be the real deal and has the reputation as a great person. Virginia Tech hit the lottery on this one. Opened the bank account and got a good one.

lol the VT sports marketing department welcomed Buzz to VT on the official website and put up a picture of one of his former assistants and current HC of North Texas.

hwqhj106rp1euy6jdms6.png

I don't know who our next coach is going to be but I'm confident Ron is not going to hire a better coach. And given the academic situation in Blacksburg I expect he will start bringing in some legit ballers in the coming years, especially compared to us. Wake basketball is headed in the wrong direction. Ron has to go.

He had a nice 5 year run after Crean, but I wouldn't say he is a can't miss superstar. It's a good hire and I would be excited if I was VT. Crean was super hot after Marquette and now Indiana fans are ready to run him out of town.

Lets see who we hire.

Last edited:
You are such a fucking moron. First of all, Roanoke is only 40 miles away and has produced players such as JJ Redick, George Lynch, Curtis Staples, and our own Andre Washington. Additionally, since when is a school required to only recruit from within 100 miles? Huh? Winston-Salem is 125 miles away. Can they recruit there?

Historically there has been plenty of talent in the state of VA. Lenny Rosenbluth and Ralph Sampson are from the Staunton/Harrisonburg area. Alonzo Mourning and Allen Iverson are from the Tidewater area, which is also where Michael Vick is from (Vick went to VT). Pressey, Malone, Grant Hill, etc. etc.

Has the TOP talent gravitated towards VT? No. But that doesn't mean that the right coach can't make it work.

Add J.R. Reynolds and Luke Hancock (on TV right now) to the Roanoke list.

Of course that was 40 years ago, RJ. B-burg is a great college town. But you do have a fine story to tell about your visit there.

Definitely been to Blacksburg. Got the cheapest ever on the way and some good pot from...well....

So Seth Fucking Greenberg can finish third in the old ACC twice and finish fourth three times, but the ceiling for Buzz Williams is 5th place.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
Jennifer-Lawrence-Saying-Whatever.gif
jennifer-lawrence-23.gif
tumblr_mpc3fhpvsy1sv080ao4_500.gif

Add Louisville, Cuse, Pitt and ND.

Assuming L'ville and Cuse will be better, his top finish would 5th ...HMMMM and that's not including Pitt.

But don't be bothered by little things like facts.....

Add Louisville, Cuse, Pitt and ND.

Assuming L'ville and Cuse will be better, his top finish would 5th ...HMMMM and that's not including Pitt.

But don't be bothered by little things like facts.....

Here's a fact. Consider it a dose of reality Butthead. Since VT entered the ACC in the 2004-2005 season, they have finished ahead of us in the regular season five times. The teams have tied once. Wake has finished ahead a total of four times, including each of the past two years during the Johnson era. Over the past ten years, they have outperformed us in year to year conference play. We have finished second twice. They have finished third twice.

So when you say the ceiling for that team is 5th place, you're saying the same for us if you focus on the past ten years. There's no reason to assume that we'll be any better over the next 10 years than we have over the past ten years. And over the past ten years, we honestly haven't been any better than Virginia Tech.

Oh and your assumption is asinine. I guess you're saying that Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville will perpetually be the top four teams in the conference for some reason, even though UVA won the conference this year.

Yeah, Biff is right. Virginia Tech is a good enough job where a good coach can have success there. I think Buzz will be able to recruit there.

Here's a fact. Consider it a dose of reality Butthead. Since VT entered the ACC in the 2004-2005 season, they have finished ahead of us in the regular season five times. The teams have tied once. Wake has finished ahead a total of four times, including each of the past two years during the Johnson era. Over the past ten years, they have outperformed us in year to year conference play. We have finished second twice. They have finished third twice.

So when you say the ceiling for that team is 5th place, you're saying the same for us if you focus on the past ten years. There's no reason to assume that we'll be any better over the next 10 years than we have over the past ten years. And over the past ten years, we honestly haven't been any better than Virginia Tech.

Oh and your assumption is asinine. I guess you're saying that Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville will perpetually be the top four teams in the conference for some reason, even though UVA won the conference this year.

There is no reason to assume we'll be any better over the next 10 years when 70% of the years in your time period Wake was coached by absolute morons? Really?

We could have had a trained monkey on the sideline for the last 7 years and got better results.

Back