• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams to Va Tech

I think the real question is how Tech's new president views Jucos. He came from Purdue (he wasn't president there) and I frankly don't know what the Boilermakers' recent history is with them. If Tech starts allowing more Jucos, I'd be ticked if I was James Johnson.
Just out of curiosity, who was the last Wake player from a JUco? Leroy McDonald is the last I can name.

I know you're just being cheeky, but Marshall's relatively "robust" reliance on JuCos would kind of be a thing were he to interview for the Wake job. I don't doubt for a second that VT's AD assured Buzz that he'd be able to recruit JuCos when courting him away from Marquette.

If Shaka signs with Marquette, Buzz becomes the most hated man in the ACC to Deac fans.

We can always adopt the standard Carolina line - we were never interested in Buzz anyway.

If Shaka signs with Marquette, Buzz becomes the most hated man in the ACC to Deac fans.

No it just shows how fucked up Wellman is clinging to Buzz's fleeting breath while doing Tournament duties. VT gets Buzz, Marquette gets Shaka, we are stuck with whoever else but it will suck in comparison to Shaka, and most likely VT's hire as well.

Just watched the VT press conference introducing Williams....WOW ! Was more like a pep rally held on the floor in their coliseum open to the public. Looked/sounded like several thousand students/fans attended....lotsa LET'S GO - HOKIES chants, former players, the returning team dressed in their warm-ups. This was quite awesome.

Like Clawson, this guy has immediately juiced-up their campus.

IF we get a hire like this we gotta have the presser in Joel !!!

I don't think anyone's going to be pissed at Buzz Williams for accepting a job he legitimately wanted. That it may cause a series of ripples concluding in (yet more) heartbreak for Wake fans two or three steps down the line isn't really attributable to him. (In lawyer parlance, we might say there lacks proximate cause.)

1625686_10102396572845663_1107244118_n.jpg

Buzz press conference quotes:

''I think it's(VT) a sleeping giant. There's a lot of work to be done,'' Williams said of a program that has taken up residence in the bottom of the Atlantic Coast Conference standings recently. ''... What I can tell you without promising anything other than you'll have my heart, you'll have my soul. I'll work at it every single day and I'll do right by the institution, I'll do right by this department, I'll do right by our program and I'll also do right by alumni and those that are in the community that support Virginia Tech.''

''I think it's been done here before. I think it's time to do it again,'' Williams said of winning. Williams is in the process of trying to assemble a staff, getting to know his returning players, reaching out to recruits who have previously committed to the Hokies, and handling other issues. ''I think the first 100 days on any job are what sets the foundation and lays the groundwork,'' he said. ''I want to be thoughtful, but yet I want to be ruthless in how we go about that.''

Whit Babcock quotes:

"Williams' pay," Babcock said, "is near the upper edge of what the Hokies can afford, and an anticipated spike in ticket sales from getting a proven winner as the coach will help pay it, as well as the end of continuing payments owed to Seth Greenberg, who was fired after the 2010-11 season, and Johnson."

''My style is I like to try to hit a home run pretty early,'' Babcock told the crowd to wild applause. ''... I'm grateful to Buzz and to (Williams' wife) Corey for believing in what we're selling.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/williams-wins-crowd-over-virginia-000957568--ncaab.html

MU was ready for him to leave. He looked around too much and brought in too many suspect recruits. The Admin. wanted to reduce his power and he didn't like it. It was a mutual parting. The interim AD was a former AD brought back out of retirement and is focused on Shaka. Doc Rivers is helping out as well.

MU was ready for him to leave. He looked around too much and brought in too many suspect recruits. The Admin. wanted to reduce his power and he didn't like it. It was a mutual parting. The interim AD was a former AD brought back out of retirement and is focused on Shaka. Doc Rivers is helping out as well.

Culture.

Well....give me a couple hours and I'm pretty sure I could pen a missive like this for every coach that's been mentioned as a candidate for the Wake job.

If someone wants to grind on someone they'll do so....NOBODY in the biz is a saint.

Here's a takedown piece on Buzz Williams from some Butthead blogger fanboy. Makes a couple of interesting points though.

http://painttouches.com/2014/03/23/greska-pulling-the-curtain-on-buzz-williams/

Is there a football or basketball program in the country that has not had some type of controversy involving its players and improper sexual conduct? The controversy cited in the article apparently never resulted in charges being filed, but there are rumors of the coaching staff getting involved in the investigation. Also, Buzz was not happy about basketball players being required to use the same dorms as the student population. Is that all there is when they pull back the curtain?

Freaking Pitino was banging the fiance of a Louisville strength coach in the back-room of a popular restaurant and using the basketball staff to guard the door. Is there any doubt about his ability to build and sustain a basketball program?

Have no idea if Buzz will be successful or not at VT, but that article would not give me any concern if I was a VT fan.

Last edited:
Is there a football or basketball program in the country that has not had some type of controversy involving its players and improper sexual conduct? The controversy cited in the article apparently never resulted in charges being filed, but there are rumors of the coaching staff getting involved in the investigation. Have no idea if Buzz will be successful or not at VT, but that article would not give me any concern if I was a VT fan.

One of our rumored candidates, Chris Mack, had to deal with the Dez Wells alleged sexual assault case a couple of years ago.

One of our rumored candidates, Chris Mack, had to deal with the Dez Wells alleged sexual assault case a couple of years ago.

Dealt with it very poorly, IMO. Not Alford poorly (because that guy is scum), but he definitely left his guy under the bus, regardless of facts.

Well....give me a couple hours and I'm pretty sure I could pen a missive like this for every coach that's been mentioned as a candidate for the Wake job.

If someone wants to grind on someone they'll do so....NOBODY in the biz is a saint.

Except [Redacted] and Wellman.

Is there a football or basketball program in the country that has not had some type of controversy involving its players and improper sexual conduct? The controversy cited in the article apparently never resulted in charges being filed, but there are rumors of the coaching staff getting involved in the investigation. Also, Buzz was not happy about basketball players being required to use the same dorms as the student population. Is that all there is when they pull back the curtain?

Freaking Pitino was banging the fiance of a Louisville strength coach in the back-room of a popular restaurant and using the basketball staff to guard the door. Is there any doubt about his ability to build and sustain a basketball program?

Have no idea if Buzz will be successful or not at VT, but that article would not give me any concern if I was a VT fan.

Yeah, I thought it was a garbage article. The stuff at the bar in Louisville turned out to be the most interesting part, sadly. Some guy from Marquette was pimping it yesterday on the VCU board. Regardless, Buzz did have questions about his future and his freedom to run the program the way he wanted. Those are definitely issues he won't have to face at VT.

Back