• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams to Va Tech

It may be LOVT thinking but the advantage is likely very temporary. On the other hand, the powers-that-be went way off campus to find new blood for both the presidency and the athletic director. That's a good sign for the future.

Kudos to your old haunt. Advantage VT.

So Buzz may have had a point about the Big East. Only Providence did themselves any credit in this tourney

It may be LOVT thinking but the advantage is likely very temporary. On the other hand, the powers-that-be went way off campus to find new blood for both the presidency and the athletic director. That's a good sign for the future.

I agree. VT fans, mostly those involved with the university in some capacity, are very excited about the new president. They feel as though both the president and AD are on the same page about where athletics need to be and what it will take to get them there.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 2m
4-star juco pf Willie Atwood is a top target for Virginia Tech. Buzz Williams has already offered. http://bit.ly/1eFb9yD @VTScoop247

If there was any doubt about Buzz being a better fit at VT than Wake...

Wonder if Beamer's days are numbered at VT. His last two years at VT have produced fewer wins than at any time in VT over the last 20 years, including 9-7 in the ACC in a very weak Coastal Division (won by Duke in 2013, UNC/GT/Miami tie in 2012). I don't think that the prospects are particularly strong for VT football in 2014.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 2m
4-star juco pf Willie Atwood is a top target for Virginia Tech. Buzz Williams has already offered. http://bit.ly/1eFb9yD @VTScoop247

If there was any doubt about Buzz being a better fit at VT than Wake...

He also has offer from Ok State, Wichita State, Kansas State, Florida State, Iowa, Arkansas and Arizona State. I guess we wouldn't want Gregg Marshall either.

He also has offer from Ok State, Wichita State, Kansas State, Florida State, Iowa, Arkansas and Arizona State. I guess we wouldn't want Gregg Marshall either.
I don't think wake20 is saying we wouldn't have wanted Buzz. I think he's saying Buzz would prefer to work in a place where JuCo's won't be frowned upon.

I know you're just being cheeky, but Marshall's relatively "robust" reliance on JuCos would kind of be a thing were he to interview for the Wake job. I don't doubt for a second that VT's AD assured Buzz that he'd be able to recruit JuCos when courting him away from Marquette.

[Buzz] Williams said Crowder and Johnson-Odom's blue-collar backgrounds are one of the main things that drew him to the players in the first place. "Most junior college players have had a one- or two-year delay in their dream," Williams said. "Anytime there's a delay in someone's dream, their hunger and their fight to accomplish that dream is heightened."

Marquette made the Sweet 16 last season largely because of the play of former junior college stars Crowder, Johnson-Odom, Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks. This season, other schools are hoping to emulate the Golden Eagles' success.

Just making the point that Marquette has relied on JUCO players in the past. That can't happen at Wake.

ETA: Yeah, others helped point that out.

[Buzz] Williams said Crowder and Johnson-Odom's blue-collar backgrounds are one of the main things that drew him to the players in the first place. "Most junior college players have had a one- or two-year delay in their dream," Williams said. "Anytime there's a delay in someone's dream, their hunger and their fight to accomplish that dream is heightened."

Marquette made the Sweet 16 last season largely because of the play of former junior college stars Crowder, Johnson-Odom, Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks. This season, other schools are hoping to emulate the Golden Eagles' success.

Just making the point that Marquette has relied on JUCO players in the past. That can't happen at Wake.

ETA: Yeah, others helped point that out.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wake20 again.

It's idiotic that we won't take JUCOs.

Wake's position on this could have cost us a national championship and it was our own vote that screwed us.

Artis Gilmore had decided to come to Wake. He would have played with Charlie Davis and Gil McGregor.

Wake's position on this could have cost us a national championship and it was our own vote that screwed us.

Artis Gilmore had decided to come to Wake. He would have played with Charlie Davis and Gil McGregor.

Nah. He wouldn't have had Pembrook Burrows along side him at Wake.

Whatever our policy, we need to bring in some bruisers. Cuse, Pitt, Louisville on its way, now VT. Its going to be a physical league.

Back