• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Williams to Va Tech

LOWF cannot be exorcised from so many here. So many bend over backwards looking for excuses for Wake to fail. What Skip (and even Dino) showed unequivocally Wake forest can make it to #1. There's no excuse to think we can't do it again. There's no reason or excuse to think we aren't a top tier job.

But many here refuse to realize this and want to keep looking for excuses and reasons why coaches and players shouldn't think that way. Why should they if people who have seen us get close over the past twenty years can't believe?

As Pogo so eloquently said, "We have met the enemy. He is us." This is about 30-50% of our fan base and this board.

I have to believe that Babcock, the new VT AD, used his old Big East connections and knew even before he took over in B-burg that Buzz was available for the picking. I didn't recall that Jerry Wainwright was one of Buzz's assistants. Wonder how much he and Buzz talked about Wake over the last year or so.

Certainly and if that was the case VT probably immediately stopped their coaching search and focused on signing him.

I have to believe that Babcock, the new VT AD, used his old Big East connections and knew even before he took over in B-burg that Buzz was available for the picking. I didn't recall that Jerry Wainwright was one of Buzz's assistants. Wonder how much he and Buzz talked about Wake over the last year or so.

They probably laughed and said, "Hey, if we go to Va Tech, we'll be able to beat Wake for at least a few years."

LOWF cannot be exorcised from so many here. So many bend over backwards looking for excuses for Wake to fail. What Skip (and even Dino) showed unequivocally Wake forest can make it to #1. There's no excuse to think we can't do it again. There's no reason or excuse to think we aren't a top tier job.

But many here refuse to realize this and want to keep looking for excuses and reasons why coaches and players shouldn't think that way. Why should they if people who have seen us get close over the past twenty years can't believe?

As Pogo so eloquently said, "We have met the enemy. He is us." This is about 30-50% of our fan base and this board.

Absolutely.

It's not the people here posting that are LOWF (outside of a few). It's the people running the show that are LOWF. That is the problem. Most everyone here believes WF is the best job open. Most everyone here would open their check book for the best coach out there. The issue is the people in charge want LOWF to be in play so they can continue to float through their jobs with little expectations and no repercussions.

People here aren't saying Shaka won't come because they are LOWF. They are saying it because the administration has shown all too often THEY are and many of us don't have faith in them.

It's not the people here posting that are LOWF (outside of a few). It's the people running the show that are LOWF. That is the problem. Most everyone here believes WF is the best job open. Most everyone here would open their check book for the best coach out there. The issue is the people in charge want LOWF to be in play so they can continue to float through their jobs with little expectations and no repercussions.

People here aren't saying Shaka won't come because they are LOWF. They are saying it because the administration has shown all too often THEY are and many of us don't have faith in them.

Or maybe he's just not interested.

What is the current value of our Brinks truck fund?

Wake is now a better job than Marquette based on conference strength (altho the ACC has stunk up the tourney.)

27 -

Auburn has already fired Tony Barbee and hired Bruce Pearl. Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams are both excellent coaches that most Wake Forest fans would have welcomed with open arms.

Good job but I completely disagree with this view....NO WAY on Pearl !!

Wake is now a better job than Marquette based on conference strength (altho the ACC has stunk up the tourney.)

Wake may be a better job, but Marquette pays their coaches. We won't/can't outbid them. It'll take a coach who values 'fit' over money to beat them if we're interested in the same guy.

In my research I found out that Marquette spends the second most amount of money on basketball in the country (only to Duke).

Back