• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campus Updates

manchester plaza was one gift and then manchester hall (football bldg) was a separate gift, i thought?

regardless, i was wrong... but haven't the manchesters given more than just 5?

"Wake Forest University trustee Doug Manchester and his wife, Elizabeth, are donating $5 million to Wake Forest University, with most of the gift dedicated to support of faculty in the university's undergraduate College.

The Manchesters, of La Jolla, Calif., are parents of a Wake Forest student and a 2003 graduate. Doug Manchester is the founder and chairman of the Manchester Financial Group in San Diego.

In recognition of the historic gift, the largest made by parents of a current student, Wake Forest is naming in their honor an academic building and an adjacent popular outdoor area of the Reynolda Campus."

"Wake Forest University trustee Doug Manchester and his wife, Elizabeth, are donating $5 million to Wake Forest University, with most of the gift dedicated to support of faculty in the university's undergraduate College.

The Manchesters, of La Jolla, Calif., are parents of a Wake Forest student and a 2003 graduate. Doug Manchester is the founder and chairman of the Manchester Financial Group in San Diego.

In recognition of the historic gift, the largest made by parents of a current student, Wake Forest is naming in their honor an academic building and an adjacent popular outdoor area of the Reynolda Campus."

right, the front/old part of kirby is technically manchester hall.

they also donated (i think they had another student, a daughter, maybe?) to have the football bldg named for them.

right, the front/old part of kirby is technically manchester hall.

they also donated (i think they had another student, a daughter, maybe?) to have the football bldg named for them.

Ah right. I have no idea how much that cost them.

Last edited:
Went to try Zicks yesterday with some people but ended up leaving because the line was long and moving at a snail's pace. The interior looks great but in typical Wake/Aramark fashion it looks like they did a pretty crappy job of designing it so it ran efficiently. I didn't notice if there was any kind of separate line or counter for just beer orders either, which is an oversight imo. If you are putting in a place that is designed to be a social hangout but getting a beer would entail waiting in line for 15-20 minutes behind pizza orders then you done fucked up.

Went to try Zicks yesterday with some people but ended up leaving because the line was long and moving at a snail's pace. The interior looks great but in typical Wake/Aramark fashion it looks like they did a pretty crappy job of designing it so it ran efficiently. I didn't notice if there was any kind of separate line or counter for just beer orders either, which is an oversight imo. If you are putting in a place that is designed to be a social hangout but getting a beer would entail waiting in line for 15-20 minutes behind pizza orders then you done fucked up.

is there a place where you can express these comments so something can be done about it?

not complain in a salty way, but just bring it to their attention - "hey, this is new and it could be awesome ...here's a suggestion to help it get there."

I'm stunned that a restaurant that's been open for 5 days doesn't have everything working perfectly. Wake/Aramark ignorance on display again.

The son was on the golf team, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
The son was on the golf team, if I remember correctly.

I think it was just a bad rumor when I was still there. I deleted my post to keep that from being perpetuated. Would appreciate if you did too. Not a good thing to spread based on an 8 year old rumor.

I think it was just a bad rumor when I was still there. I deleted my post to keep that from being perpetuated. Would appreciate if you did too. Not a good thing to spread based on an 8 year old rumor.

I was confused, at first, why his being a golfer was a particularly vicious rumor. I edited out your quoted bit.

I mean, it's not like we don't admit athletes that wouldn't have been accepted as regular applicants...

The men's golf team had the worst cumulative GPAs during at least a couple of my four years.

I was confused, at first, why his being a golfer was a particularly vicious rumor. I edited out your quoted bit.

I mean, it's not like we don't admit athletes that wouldn't have been accepted as regular applicants...

The men's golf team had the worst cumulative GPAs during at least a couple of my four years.

Not that surprising, considering they miss far more school than any other team.

Why wouldn't we hire like a David Leadbetter/Butch Harmon type to be our college coach. There's 0 reason Wake shouldn't be one of the 2-3 premier golf schools in the country year in/year out. That's where I want our athletic dollars going.

I feel like there should be civil war cannon on the top of it.
pre-war-3b50228u_34216_600x450.jpg

Went to Zick's after the football game and it was just horrible. Love the idea of the place and it looked quite nice but that's about as far as it went.

Took about 15 minutes to order (8-10 people in front of us), and then another 20 minutes to get our large pizza and 15 wings. Wings tasted fine but were served quite cold, and the margarita pizza must have included a pound of oregano. None of us had more than a slice.

As for drinks, looks like they normally have two beers on tap though after having run out of the Pale Ale, all they had was Bud Light. Went for water instead and received a very small plastic cup of ice water. Girl I went with tried to get more water however was told she'd have to go back and wait again in line.

Unless things quickly change, this place ain't going to make it.

Went to Zick's after the football game and it was just horrible. Love the idea of the place and it looked quite nice but that's about as far as it went.

Took about 15 minutes to order (8-10 people in front of us), and then another 20 minutes to get our large pizza and 15 wings. Wings tasted fine but were served quite cold, and the margarita pizza must have included a pound of oregano. None of us had more than a slice.

As for drinks, looks like they normally have two beers on tap though after having run out of the Pale Ale, all they had was Bud Light. Went for water instead and received a very small plastic cup of ice water. Girl I went with tried to get more water however was told she'd have to go back and wait again in line.

Unless things quickly change, this place ain't going to make it.
This. So much this. Zick's is awful.

E-mail sent out to campus:

Dear Friends,

As many of you have heard by now, the large banner that stands outside the LGBTQ Center was vandalized on Thursday afternoon. An unknown person wrote the words “rot in hell” on our sign.

I have struggled with how to respond to this act, and indeed, with what to say about it publicly. I did not want to unnecessarily upset those students who did not see the hateful words, who may have been happier not knowing that some member of our community wishes them ill. I also worried that by drawing attention to this act of vandalism, I would detract from the amazing strides we have made over the past several years toward becoming a campus that values and nurtures difference.

Ultimately, however, the point of hateful graffiti is to cow us with fear and make us feel disempowered to speak the truth of our lives. So this is what I want to say to you: in the two years since the LGBTQ Center opened, we have gone from being a small office tucked away in a dark hallway to being a bustling Center that is overflowing with energy, passion, and kindness. Thousands (yes, thousands) of Wake Foresters have visited the LGBTQ Center over the past two years, and many of you come in on a regular basis to drink coffee, chat with friends, use the library, find resources, talk to me and my staff, meet someone like yourself, meet someone different than yourself, or to just hang out on our fabulous sofas. The people who come to the LGBTQ Center are black, white, brown, male, female, gay, straight, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, atheist, liberal, conservative, and everything in between. What we have in common is a commitment to creating a Wake Forest where every single person feels valued for who they are. No little bit of graffiti on a sign can take away the amazing and beautiful community that we have built.

I am saddened that a member of our campus is missing out on the incredible sense of love, affirmation, and connection that you all share with one another. To the person who defaced our sign, I invite you to come and talk to me, and learn more about Wake Forest’s LGBTQ community. (I also invite you to reflect on a principle that my five-year-old is currently mastering – don’t write on other people’s signs.) To those of you who already know and love the LGBTQ Center, I encourage you to be ambassadors for our message of inclusion across campus. Know that others are watching you, and that you set the tone for how we live out our values in the interactions of daily life. Please have the courage to speak up when you see or hear something exclusionary or hurtful. Finally, for those of you who have been pained by this and other incidents of vandalism, homophobia, and hate speech, please know that I am here for you, as are many, many other people. Do not hesitate to reach out to me by phone, email, or stopping by the LGBTQ Center if you need help or support.

I know that we as a community are better than this incident of hatefulness might suggest. Please join me in demonstrating to our campus that here at Wake Forest, love is love.

In solidarity,

Angela
---
Angela Mazaris, Ph.D.
Director, LGBTQ Center

Back