• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merger FTW.

On an unrelated note, what % raise do people consider a good raise vs a meh raise assuming no promotion or job change. Lets say for people in their 30's, cause raises happen quick when you're younger but then can slow down once you settle in.

In BIG ACCOUNTING I'd say top performers tend to get 8-14%, B players get 3-5%, others get little or negative. There is a strong incentive to reward A players. The problem is that everyone thinks they're an A.

Merger FTW.

On an unrelated note, what % raise do people consider a good raise vs a meh raise assuming no promotion or job change. Lets say for people in their 30's, cause raises happen quick when you're younger but then can slow down once you settle in.

We get shit (2-3%) for annual raises, but promotions are 30-35%, which can happen every 2.5-3 years if you're a good performer.

In BIG ACCOUNTING I'd say top performers tend to get 8-14%, B players get 3-5%, others get little or negative. There is a strong incentive to reward A players. The problem is that everyone thinks they're an A.

yeah, I mean I was in MEDIUM accounting, and it was nice. But I'm probably stuck in that 2-3% range now, but that's a lifestyle choice at this point.

During the downturn they pretty much shifted all those categories one spot to the right, although you could probably say that about any company.

yeah, I mean I was in MEDIUM accounting, and it was nice. But I'm probably stuck in that 2-3% range now, but that's a lifestyle choice at this point.

You did get that big bump for moving though. Kind of a 5 year advance on your raises?

You did get that big bump for moving though. Kind of a 5 year advance on your raises?

It was a bigger bump because I took a cut a few years ago. I'm prolly making 25% less or so than my buddy who has done the 12 year straight public accounting route who is now a partner. Before the downturn though some of the donks in my type controller jobs were making silly bank. Not sure what they're doing now.

During the downturn they pretty much shifted all those categories one spot to the right, although you could probably say that about any company.

Agreed. I had one year where my raise pool was 4.5% overall and had a lot of pissed off good people.

I just fired my secretary for being a psycho, incompetent shit stirrer. My new secretary (that I worked with at another firm) seems to be working out. Staff can make your life miserable or so much easier.

We are going through this right now. Firing a file clerk and shifting my secretary to the file clerk role and hiring a HOPEFULLY competent new secretary. When your file clerk barely knows the alphabet, things are bad.

I think we're 3-5% merit based annual raises, 10 if extraordinary circumstances. Then we have a bonus paid in April based partly on your own targets (30%) and then department/company targets (70%). Is worth up to 15% of your salary based on company performance. I started on July 1 so I could be eligible after I was told it should be the best year ever for bonuses.

I usually get and expect 3-4%. Last year I got 2.85% and was disappointed. Asked for them to reconsider to no avail; I think in part because of keeping payroll costs down for the then-pending merger. This year was an outlier for sure.

I think if I could make one reasonable change to my biology that it would be to not sweat so damn much. It's like 65 degrees and 80% humidity and I'm dripping from a 1/2 mile walk.

our raises are between 3-10%. 5% is "standard", 10% is "extraordinary". haven't been here long enough to have any sense of comparison/measurement for myself yet though.

I think if I could make one reasonable change to my biology that it would be to not sweat so damn much. It's like 65 degrees and 80% humidity and I'm dripping from a 1/2 mile walk.

Mine would be better UV protection. I get got by the sun if I don't liberally apply the sunscreen.

i would make my fingernails and toenails grow less quickly

our raises are between 3-10%. 5% is "standard", 10% is "extraordinary". haven't been here long enough to have any sense of comparison/measurement for myself yet though.

That's pretty good considering where CPI's been the past ten years.

Public sector:

1.5%, 2%, or 3% merit, additional market adjustments if the budget allows (these are usually a percentage across the board)

promotions are 5% or 90% of the market reference point so it depends on the job. Promotion I just got was almost 7%. Boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back