• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

And yet you didn't know about the blackout rule that's been in effect since 2012, and in legal limbo for nearly 10 years.

Unrelated to their recent success, or your more recent pilgrimage post-frat boy Mecca, of course.

Nobody likes a sad and angry Juice. Sorry about my whiteness.

Last edited:
Whatever. I got stripes.

-My first live baseball memory was going to a Reds-Pirates game at Riverfront Stadium with my knothole teeball team (Fireballs) and dripping mustard on my white jersey seeing Barry Bonds hit a mile long homerun.

-I picked #11 on every baseball team I ever played on because Barry Larkin was my favorite player.

-I asked for rec specs for my 7th birthday because of Chris Sabo, and I didn't even wear glasses.

- I actually cried a little bit when I learned that Griffey Jr was traded to the Reds, and i'm not ashamed of that at all.

Whatever. I got stripes.

-My first live baseball memory was going to a Reds-Pirates game at Riverfront Stadium with my knothole teeball team (Fireballs) and dripping mustard on my white jersey seeing Barry Bonds hit a mile long homerun.

-I picked #11 on every baseball team I ever played on because Barry Larkin was my favorite player.

-I asked for rec specs for my 7th birthday because of Chris Sabo, and I didn't even wear glasses.

- I actually cried a little bit when I learned that Griffey Jr was traded to the Reds, and i'm not ashamed of that at all.

Barry Larkin could play. I'll give you that. The more I think about it, you're probably the Rob Dibble of the OGB.

^^ Save yourself some aggravation and get the games through MLB via your cable provider or the internet. You should receive a decent end of season discount. Every game, every day. I assume you enjoyed your Wrigley field experience.

^^ Save yourself some aggravation and get the games through MLB via your cable provider or the internet. You should receive a decent end of season discount. Every game, every day. I assume you enjoyed your Wrigley field experience.

Good advice, thanks. Wrigley was good, as always, although there are quite a few changes since last time. Would love to see what the revenue changes look like.

Kris Bryant and Addison Russell are playing at a different level the past week. Outstanding display of power hitting.

That Bryant home run barely got out. Short wall also prevented another run from scoring because of the ground rule double later in the inning.

Kris Bryant and Addison Russell are playing at a different level the past week. Outstanding display of power hitting.

Russell has really turned it on.

I know we've got some guys on the DL, but the backend of the bullpen is still a problem.

Jake Arrieta last 6 starts in the state of California:

0.20 ERA, 45.0 IP, 15 Hits, 1 ER, 9 BB, 44 K, 0 HR#Cubs

Hendricks has a 2.15 ERA and 7 losses. That's absurd. Somebody swing at something round and help this dude out.

The rotation has been just absurd this year. Four of the five starters are in the top 25 for XFIP in the majors.

As of two days ago, Westgate's NL Cy Young odds have Arrieta, Bumgarner, and Cueto all at +300. Strasberg slightly behind at +400. Arrieta trying to be the first repeat NL Cy Young award winner since.....2013/14 when Kershaw did it.

As of two days ago, Westgate's NL Cy Young odds have Arrieta, Bumgarner, and Cueto all at +300. Strasberg slightly behind at +400. Arrieta trying to be the first repeat NL Cy Young award winner since.....2013/14 when Kershaw did it.

Interesting Thor isn't even in that discussion at all. Leads the NL in WAR, second in FIP and xFIP (both to Jose Fernandez, who has a case in his own right), and an over 10 per/9 K rate. Guessing the losses are what brings him down? More of a BABIP above average than anything he is doing.

Jake is significantly worse this year than the past two - advanced stats will tell you that, but watching him will too. He is putting on more runners and he lost a lot of his swing and misses. Thats not to say he is bad, he just is not the guy that we put on the mound against the Buccos last year in the WC game - I would not be anywhere near as confident this year in that scenario. Then again, he was flirting with all time greatness during stretches last year.

Jake is significantly worse this year than the past two - advanced stats will tell you that, but watching him will too. He is putting on more runners and he lost a lot of his swing and misses. Thats not to say he is bad, he just is not the guy that we put on the mound against the Buccos last year in the WC game - I would not be anywhere near as confident this year in that scenario. Then again, he was flirting with all time greatness during stretches last year.

I'm not a baseball history expert but I don't think you'll ever find a stretch of 12 games that tops Arrieta's end of year performance last year. I was checking his stats a little bit earlier and he's definitely not what he was last year, but he's still been prettttttty good. Definitely walking more guys (1.89 BB/9 last year v. 3.45 BB/9 this year) and strikeouts slightly down, but last night looked more like last year Jake than this year Jake so far. Through it all he's sitting at 16-5 with a 2.62 ERA for the top team in baseball - even with advanced stats down from last year and not fantastic this year, he's still gotta be close to the NL Cy Young again if he gets 20 wins. There's 37 games left and he pitched last night so he's probably got, what, six or seven more starts to get there?

ETA: Since the start of the 2014 season, Arrieta has made 83 starts for the Cubs and has a 48-16 record. That's wild.

Back