• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Didn't make it to the end of the game but all in all I didn't think Jake was that bad. Not a great outing but I thought he had pretty solid command. Home runs off fly balls are going to happen, just need them not to pop up when guys are on base. Certainly agreed that the runners on for what I believe was the second homer shouldn't have been on.

The HR to Bell was a bad pitch, but otherwise, he got squeezed a bunch and Woody gave up the 2 out double to tack 2 more ER onto him.

Hopefully this wont jinx it, but JHey has an 8 game hitting streak and is batting .364 over that stretch with 5 XBH. Fingers crossed bros.

Good to know, thanks. I only saw the box but noticed it was another big night in the ER department. They're going to need him to go lights out when the weather turns. I like the shorter leash for some of these starters. I think they'll get there either way, but do you all think the 100th win is a blessing or a burden?

I dont think getting to 100 will mean that much to these guys - my big concern is locking up the division with 15+ games to go and the team playing no meaningful games for the last month-ish of the season. Motivation will be in short supply, and then having to pick back up against a team that likely is pushing and had just won a WC match may be a tough transition - especially if its the Giants or Dodgers.

Last month of the season isn't too bad. I think only two series outside the central with the last couple series on the road. I think we get to 100 or 101. Fangraphs has 102

Good to see Rizzo go long. Coming into tonight's game he had one homer in the last 34 games. Cubs need him hitting the long ball.

Hendricks with another gem. Tonight's home plate umpire trying to upstage last night's joke. Edwards threw seven pitches to Matt Joyce in the eighth. Seven were completely within strike zone yet he ended up retiring Joyce with a 3-2 count. John Schmolz laughed at the calls they were so bad.

Edwards and Chapman augment Hendricks seven inning, three hit shutout performance and the Cubs win 3-0. Hendricks ERA is now a MLB leading 2.09.

Last edited:
The ball call on the 1-1 count with two outs in the 8th was awful. If the game had been a little closer i think Maddon would've gotten into it with the umpire, he was livid in the dugout.

Bryant almost went yard in the first and Rizzo one upped him. Fun game to watch and Hendricks down to a 2.09 ERA. will he get any cy young consideration with a 13-7 record? Doesn't have fantastic advanced stats or anything but voters seemingly love low ERAs

I think he definitely gets a look - but he needs to continue to pitch like this, otherwise, a Scherzer or Cueto or MadBum takes it home - I think Fernandez and Syndergaard only have a chance if they make the playoffs, just knowing the voters.

Updated futures odds for the NL Cy Young that I saw two days ago (so before Jake and Hendricks pitched their last two games) had three Cubs in the top seven best odds to win. Arrieta was second, Lester third, and Hendricks seventh (tied with Thor at +2000).

Hendricks needs September to be as good as July and August has been to stand a chance. The fact that he is being compared with Maddux by the media will work in his favor. The media is also talking favorably about Hendricks starting in the playoffs. That consideration wasn't a pipe dream two months ago.

Ugly win. Hammel with a quality six innings gets his 14th win. The bullpen was ragged and is missing Strop and Rondon. Wood showing the effects of over use and I'm concerned Chapman may be as well. He's made 19 appearances in 36 days for the Cubs. He can't continue that pace and be effective in October. I'm concerned that Maddon will exhaust the bullpen and it will show in the playoffs. The front office needs to bring up bullpen reinforcements tomorrow.

The Bucs had good at bats most of the game, they just got to woody in the eighth. Hammel did a great job pitching around a tight zone. Grimm got lucky, he want throwing many strikes - Russell saved the game with that play. Chapman was rough - when he puts a runner on, just assume that runner will make it to third pretty easily on steals/wild pitches

Just can't beat good teams.

You were saying about that bullpen Blackjack?

Just can't beat good teams.

You were saying about that bullpen Blackjack?

Joe Smith looked like a different pitcher, he was nibbling the edges with his sinker and throwing the slider for strikes. Zas looks like he could be a solid Middle reliever.

Good to see CJ close it down, he said he was super nervous postgame, but he looked cool out there - Rossy did a good job knowing the Giants arent first pitch swingers, so CJ started off 0-1 on all three batters with pitches basically down the middle, then had that 97 MPH heater working.

Cubs find relief as Zastryzny, Smith and Edwards provide five perfect innings out of the bullpen. Smith gets the win and Edwards his first major league save. The Giants did not hit the ball out of the infield with that trio on the mound. Addison Russell hit a single with the bases loaded in the seventh to drive in the tying and winning runs as the Cubs beat the Giants 5-4. Russell has emerged as a big time clutch hitter this season and has made his selection as the NL all star shortstop appropriate.

Chris Coghlan and Joe Smith were recalled from the 15 day DL and both contributed in tonight's win. Jake Buchanan was called up from Iowa to provide another arm. John Lackey is expected to return from the DL and start Sunday. Hector Rondon will have rehab assignments Saturday and Monday at Iowa with his return targeted for next week. Pedro Strop tweaked his right groin and it appears his return will be delayed.

Back