• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Just can't beat good teams.

You were saying about that bullpen Blackjack?

Front office brought up those reinforcements and three reasonably fresh pitchers did the job tonight. Edwards has been used selectively by Maddon. Grimm has been used more selectively and has been lights out July and August. Zas has been strong. Smith got a rest on the DL and looked good tonight. Chapman was finally given some rest and will likely sit tomorrow as well. I expect Woods might sit as well. I'm glad the rosters have expanded and Maddon used the depth tonight. I hope it continues.

John Lester pitches a three hit, one run complete game to lead the Cubs to a 2-1 victory over San Francisco. Amid the hoopla surrounding Arrieta and Hendricks for the Cy Young award, Lester has a 15-4 record, a 2.61 ERA and has allowed one run or less in 17 of 27 starts. I'm glad he picked the Cubs.

And we get Bumgarner-Arrieta tomorrow. Getcha popcorn ready

The Cubs took three of four from the Giants by winning this afternoon 3-2 in 13 innings. Jason Heyward atoned for a second inning error that resulted in the Giants first run by driving in all three Cub runs. Lackey with a strong five inning return to the rotation. The bullpen provided an eight inning, three hit, shutout performance. I guess the bullpen refueled.

Roster moves made today for the remainder of the season. Hector Rondon was activated from the 15 day DL. Spencer Patton, Albert Almora Jr. and Munenori Kawasaki were recalled from Iowa. Tim Federowicz was placed on the roster and R.J. Alvarez was DFA to make room for him on the 40 man roster. The active roster is now at 34. Plenty of depth to rest the starters once the division championship and home field advantage are secured. Pedro Strop remains on the DL.

Myrtle Beach (Class A advanced), South Bend (Class A full season), and Eugene (Class A short season) are all playing in the post season.

We always play like shit against the brewers and make their terrible pitching staff look good.

I could very easily be wrong about this but it feels like Garza's owned us since he left.

Hammel pitching his way off the playoff roster.

Tough games against HOU and StL who are battling for the WC. Don't kick the feet up quite yet Cubbies

Hendricks, Lackey and Arrieta going this series - at the juice box, gotta keep the balls in the yard to stay with them here and Jake has been giving up a ton of bombs lately.

I could very easily be wrong about this but it feels like Garza's owned us since he left.

Hammel pitching his way off the playoff roster.

Tough games against HOU and StL who are battling for the WC. Don't kick the feet up quite yet Cubbies

Definitely is.

Definitely is.

Would assume for a short series we might only keep 11 pitchers, so it was going to be a battle between he and Cahill/Montgomery for likely 1 spot. Assuming all healthy, should see:

Arrieta, Lester, Hendricks, Lackey, Chapman, Rondon, Strop, Wood, CJ - with 2 spots open for a long reliever and another short reliever, so one of Hammel/Montgomer/Cahill is guaranteed, and the other spot with be up for grabs between the two that don't get that spot and Zas, Joe Smith and Grimm.

I guess I'd rather keep Cahill around than Hammel or Montgomery. I don't remember off the top of my head, but do teams normally bring five starters or just bring four and cobble together a spot start with relievers if need be? Cubs had four last year for the NLDS IIRC - Jake, Jon, Hammel, Hendricks. NLCS is a bit of a different animal like you said.

I guess I'd rather keep Cahill around than Hammel or Montgomery. I don't remember off the top of my head, but do teams normally bring five starters or just bring four and cobble together a spot start with relievers if need be? Cubs had four last year for the NLDS IIRC - Jake, Jon, Hammel, Hendricks. NLCS is a bit of a different animal like you said.

I think they used to only bring 3 in the DS, but now its 4 - you only bring the 5th as a long reliever if you need them. Not sure we have anyone that can be great on 3/4 days rest - so almost a guarantee we bring 4.

Agree about Hammel. I'd be surprised if there aren't 12 pitchers on the roster and two LH relievers beside Chapman.

Cubs shutout Astros 2-0. Lester with seven sharp innings. Rondon and Chapman finish up. Bryant with a two run homer. Good to see Rondon in the groove.

Mchugh is a junk ball thrower and ate us up, reminds me of the game against Shields/Sox, lots of bad swings and no good contact.

Need jake to pitch well tomorrow, don't need to have a losing stretch going into the playoffs.

As usual, I mention a deficiency and the Cubs prove otherwise. Nine runs in the first four innings. Soler and Russell with long home runs.

Back