• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

OK. Central Division Champs. Yay. Magic number is 10 to clinch the home field advantage and best record in the NL.

Montero wins this afternoon's game with a walk off HR in the 10th inning to add an exclamation point to winning the division championship. The team and fans sure seemed to be celebrating. Miggy hitting .382 over his past 13 games.

Montero wins this afternoon's game with a walk off HR in the 10th inning to add an exclamation point to winning the division championship. The team and fans sure seemed to be celebrating. Miggy hitting .382 over his past 13 games.

I'm working from home half a mile from Wrigley, and the place was rocking in the 9th and 10th.

Good to see Hammel deliver a winning performance and the long ball return to the Cub lineup. Chapman appeared amped facing the Reds for the first time.

Never been a Rickettseses fan. Though they have improved in my mind after bringing in Thoyer and spending $$$.

I was a Cubs fan before they arrived and will be one long after they're gone

Magic number is 2. The sweep of Cincy seemed to wake up the bats. Of course, the Reds starters lack the ability of playoff teams. Montero and Coghlan having good AB's.

Nice to see Jake close out regular-season Wrigley skrong.

Operation kill the Cards rolls on

2016 Chicago Cubs Thread: 97-55 NL Central Champions

I had a good ATX buddy in the bleachers today. He sent me a couple pics and videos. Seemed like a great time.

#vibes

With last night's victory the Cubs reached all of their regular season goals. 100 wins. Best record in MLB. Home field advantage through the NL playoffs. NL Central Division Champions. All that remains for the regular season is to decide the roster for the first playoff series and that is somewhat dependent on the opponent. That's no easy task given the depth. This is the best Cub team in my lifetime and I'm certain they can compete for the NL championship and the World Series championship. However, it will be a new season starting next week and the level of competition will be much tougher. Here's hoping they have what it takes.

With last night's victory the Cubs reached all of their regular season goals. 100 wins. Best record in MLB. Home field advantage through the NL playoffs. NL Central Division Champions. All that remains for the regular season is to decide the roster for the first playoff series and that is somewhat dependent on the opponent. That's no easy task given the depth. This is the best Cub team in my lifetime and I'm certain they can compete for the NL championship and the World Series championship. However, it will be a new season starting next week and the level of competition will be much tougher. Here's hoping they have what it takes.

I know they are missing everyone, but I really don't want to play the Mets. Even the chance to go to the games at Citi does not sway me, too many bad memories.

I know they are missing everyone, but I really don't want to play the Mets. Even the chance to go to the games at Citi does not sway me, too many bad memories.

I understand your apprehension. In the past. Let it go. From someone who lived and worked with Met fans in NYC in 1969.

Last edited:
Cubs starting lineup tonight - Jake was right about this being basically spring training.

Chi Cubs AB R H RBI HR SB BB K LOB AVG
Tommy La Stella3B 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .271
Albert Almora Jr.CF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .279
Addison RussellSS 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 .240
Willson ContrerasLF 2 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 .278
Javier Báez1B 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .274
Matt SzczurRF 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .260
Tim FederowiczC 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 .207
Munenori Kawasaki2B 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .316
Rob ZastryznyP 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 .000

Holy geez, blackjack are you in your 70s? You post much younger. If that makes any sense. Probably doesn't.

67. Old fart.

Spent the summer of 1969 working in a paper manufacturing plant. Everyone in the plant was a blue collar Met fan. Except me. Great summer until the Cubs visited Shea in August and dropped a four game series to the Mets to start the slide. The team disintegrated after the Saturday game. A rookie centerfielder named Don Young made an error on a fly ball in the eighth that cost the team the lead and the game. Ron Santo went ballistic about the play and the player with the press after the game. NY press put it as the sports headline in the Sunday papers. Needless to say, the team split apart and it showed in a doubleheader loss on Sunday. The slide began. Young went to the minors and was never seen in the majors again. The split remained for the duration of the season and the Miracle Mets were created. As big a momentum change as I have ever seen in sports. I suspect it received little or no coverage in Chicago or nationwide. Santo was the team captain. But the damage was done.

The 'black cat' incident occurred on the next road trip to NY after the choke had begun. Kind of a cover for the initial incident. I believe that Santo was never elected to the HOF by the writers because of the incident. After Santo died and a couple of months before his own death, Ernie Banks opened up and told this same story in SI or ESPN to set the record straight about the '69 collapse. That was the first I had heard of it in the press since 1969.

This image may be big, who knows. Props to kboom on the Ditka jersey, Szczur with the BWest and Rossy with the Bo.

CtkgsJuWgAAlW2I.jpg:large

Back