• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Merryweather blew the save in the 8th inning. Leiter blew the save in the 9th inning. Palencia blew the save in the 10th inning and took the loss. Playoff quality teams don't lose games like the Cubs have the past two nights. Despite the disappointment of the past two nights, the Cubs are tied with the Marlins for the final wildcard spot. It may seem improbable but it is not impossible.

Positive in the last two days: offense and starting pitching gave the Cubs a chance to win. Cubs won't win many, if any, more games relying on the pen. Too many injuries and overuse. This bullpen was a wildcard at the beginning of the season, and unexpected quality performance much of the year helped get them here. Not a huge surprise the guys available are struggling.

But there have been too many at bats the past few weeks in which Cubs left a runner at third with less than two outs. Just a killer.

The Mets just hired former Brewers GM David Stears; there's a lot of speculation that Stearns will hire Counsell to replace Showalter.

Revised WC odds for the last two spots after Wednesday's games:

D-Backs 84-74 97.8% -- Jarvis (Duke grad; son of WF pitcher Kevin Jarvis 2-0 2.45) v. Toussaint (4-7 5.10)
Marlins 82-76 68.9% -- Luzardo (10-9 3.73) v. Peterson (3-8 5.37)
Cubs 82-76 29.5% -- Stroman (10-8 3.88) v. Smith-Shawver (1-0 4.57)
Reds 81-78 3.8% -- Off day

Bullpen games for both the D-Backs and Braves. Jarvis hasn't pitched more than 2 innings in a game since August 19. Smith-Shawver was injured and has pitched a total of 5.2 innings in his three minor league appearances since coming off the IL. Will likely come down the bullpens again for Cubs and Braves. Yikes.

David Peterson is awful, but Luzardo has been up and down recently. If the Cubs lose and Marlins win, the Cubs would be close to done as the Marlins would be up 1 with three to play and hold the tiebreaker.

The Mets just hired former Brewers GM David Stears; there's a lot of speculation that Stearns will hire Counsell to replace Showalter.
I not saying that its a particularly likely scenario, simply that the scenario exists.

Revised WC odds for the last two spots after Wednesday's games:

D-Backs 84-74 97.8% -- Jarvis (Duke grad; son of WF pitcher Kevin Jarvis 2-0 2.45) v. Toussaint (4-7 5.10)
Marlins 82-76 68.9% -- Luzardo (10-9 3.73) v. Peterson (3-8 5.37)
Cubs 82-76 29.5% -- Stroman (10-8 3.88) v. Smith-Shawver (1-0 4.57)
Reds 81-78 3.8% -- Off day

Bullpen games for both the D-Backs and Braves. Jarvis hasn't pitched more than 2 innings in a game since August 19. Smith-Shawver was injured and has pitched a total of 5.2 innings in his three minor league appearances since coming off the IL. Will likely come down the bullpens again for Cubs and Braves. Yikes.

David Peterson is awful, but Luzardo has been up and down recently. If the Cubs lose and Marlins win, the Cubs would be close to done as the Marlins would be up 1 with three to play and hold the tiebreaker.
Not sure I agree with sending the Stro Show back out based on his past couple of starts...

It was fun to see them get hot right before the trade deadline. I'd always rather buy than sell (you never know what happens if you sneak in the playoffs; we watch the best teams lose world championships all the time). The Cubs organization acted like they cared about winning again, which was nice.

Bummed at the way that September has shaken out, but if you'd have told me during Spring Training that we'd be fighting for a playoff spot during the last week of the season, I would have called the season a success.

Back