• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

That’s my point. Our farm system isn’t ready and they are going to try to bridge some gap instead of spend the big bucks. And if we suck worse than expected we will sell off our pieces to bolster the farm system at the deadline. If we are better than expected we will make moves that won’t break the bank. Rinse and repeat.

Swanson, Hoerner, Suzuki and Happ are all on multi year deals. I expect the Gomes option to be taken.

Cubs will make a play for Bellinger. Maybe 4 years/100 million with some flex on the number of years. I doubt they offer more the $25M/year to anyone. That is the ceiling.

One possibility is to bring up the kids and let them play. The Orioloes took that approach and it worked. Mervis has nothing to prove at AAA. Canario's bat looks legit. PCA improves any defense. Put Morel at 3B and let him roll. Nelson Velazquez got a legit shot in the outfield at KC and ended the season with17 homers in 162 at bats and produced 52 runs in 53 games. I suspect he is penciled in for an outfield position with the 2024 Royals. The Cubs defer to experience too often. Assad proved worthy as a starter and reliever but got bounced from the rotation down the stretch. Wicks looks ready, trust what he showed.

Screw bridge the gap. Either get what is needed to compete or bring up the kids and stick with them. Half measures seldom work.

Last edited:
I am in Chicagoland right now. Speculation is the Cubs will not pursue Bellinger, although it is Chicago and a lot of the media are complete hacks with no clue (Kaplan chief among them). I would go as long as six or maybe even seven years on Bellinger at more than 30M a year. And I get the potential for regression, it is almost certain to happen to some extent. But I believe in his approach and his bat control. And he’s only 28. So I could see 6 and 30 or something along those lines. Problem is the FA market is devoid of depth of star field players. So his saga may well drag out.

I expect the Cubs to go after a solid leverage reliever or two. Maybe a starter to deepen the staff. PCA is not likely to spend much, if anymore, time in the minors. The Cubs are so sold on his defense. One coach in the org has reportedly said PCA is the best pure fielding OF he has ever seen at any level. Hyperbolic, perhaps. But it tells you how strongly they feel.

Bridge guys are fine so long as you are ready to cut them loose when the kid shoves. I would argue the O’s system is more star studded with field players. The Cubs have a ton of depth and more pitchers who project than obvious field players. Anyway, we should learn soon what the Cubs actually believe bc they have choices to make on the 40 man soon.

That’s my point. Our farm system isn’t ready and they are going to try to bridge some gap instead of spend the big bucks. And if we suck worse than expected we will sell off our pieces to bolster the farm system at the deadline. If we are better than expected we will make moves that won’t break the bank. Rinse and repeat.
What part of the farm system isn’t ready? Or maybe I should ask how are you defining ready?

Canario did fine in his brief stint PCA is pretty much ready. Mervis is like 26 already. So it is now or never. Brown, Wicks, Wes, Little are all ready. Alcantara is on the 40 man. He’s at AA. He will be asked to be ready soon. Horton is already shoving at AA hard. That 2025 timeline could end up being 2024. Kilian put up a sub 3.00 ERA in the second half (or at least a large chunk of it). My point is that’s a lot of guys who seem pretty much set to get their chance to prove it or lose it.

I'm good with trying to sign Bellinger, but I doubt it happens.

DeacMan, I agree with the idea of bringing the kids up. My pencil has PCA in CF, Mervis at 1B and Morel at 3B to start the season. PCA has a glove that makes a difference, especially over the long haul. He seems to struggle at the plate early at each level and then adjust. Trust him to do so in the bigs. Mervis has nothing to prove at AAA. Put him in the lineup from day one and expect improvement. Think Rizzzo. Morel needs to focus on a defensive position and 3B makes sense. Let him know now and give him the winter to prepare and improve. His bat is big enough, he just needs to lay off the breaking ball off the plate. Canario as a backup outfielder and CF against lefties if needed.

Some pitchers to add to the list. Assad as a starter. Palencia and his power arm. Keegan Thompson bounces back.

I liked Smyly in the bullpen. He is at an age when his career may flourish and extend as a RP. A wily vet can works wonders for a collection of young arms in the bullpen.

It all comes down to Stroman and how much the Ricketts are willing to spend.

If Stroman opts in the Cubs have about $25M to get a big bat before they pass the tax threshold.

If Stroman opts out the Cubs have about $46M to get a big bat and an impact arm before they pass the tax threshold.

Wonder how David Ross feels about this...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
In other news, Stroman opted out over the weekend. So, the Cubs have some extra money to spend.

Still a ways to go on the redemption arc but this certainly helps, Rickettssesss

Overall, it's a icy cold move by Counsell to accept, and the Cubs to kick Ross to the curb, but that's the price of winning I suppose.

Highest paid MLB manager now, I read. Interesting given the player spending needs this offseason. Hopefully the start of a trend lasting through this offseason. Or, Ricketts have decided to spend to upgrade the manager and rely on the farm system to fill gaps.

Last edited:
Back