• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congrats Deacs!

We won. I'm good with that. The end of game coaching I'll leave for others.

I was stunned with how the first 30 minutes were played. The movement on offense was unbelievable considering what we've become accustomed to.

Moto's foul with ~30 seconds was :eek:. It was like Bz had coached them to foul on the last possession if we were up by more than 2; but somehow we forgot how much time was left on the clock. I know it would almost never be called; but on the replay... Moto was looking at the official and nodding as he was intentionally (as much as he possibly could appear to be) grasping the UVA player's arm. Given the circumstances, that was one of the more inexplicable moments on a basketball court I've ever seen; an intentional foul in that situation would have been.... well, there are no words.

we didn't score a fg in the last 10 minutes and 30 seconds. that is not "good basketball."

We were burning clock starting with 7 or 8 minutes with a big lead; and doing it the right way - burn 10-15 seconds then look for a good shot. I am amazed how many teams don't do that. We missed some shots, but closed out.

We were burning clock starting with 7 or 8 minutes with a big lead; and doing it the right way - burn 10-15 seconds then look for a good shot. I am amazed how many teams don't do that. We missed some shots, but closed out.

And we gave Virginia chance after chance to get back into the game. 1 FG in 14 minutes is not good offense. You can't obviously think we are going to win many games doing that.

We were lucky tonight. Maybe it will lead to more confidence and better play for 40 minutes.

we didn't miss "some" shots... we missed every shot.

i didn't think you could do the prevent D in basketball.

I was stunned with how the first 30 minutes were played. The movement on offense was unbelievable considering what we've become accustomed to.

Moto's foul with ~30 seconds was :eek:. It was like Bz had coached them to foul on the last possession if we were up by more than 2; but somehow we forgot how much time was left on the clock. I know it would almost never be called; but on the replay... Moto was looking at the official and nodding as he was intentionally (as much as he possibly could appear to be) grasping the UVA player's arm. Given the circumstances, that was one of the more inexplicable moments on a basketball court I've ever seen; an intentional foul in that situation would have been.... well, there are no words.

I'm pretty sure Bz didn't didn't tell Moto or anyone to foul in that situation. I think that was a result of Moto's basketball inexperience.

During that stretch CJ missed two or three lay ups. It was the final 5 minutes when we looked like lost children on offense.

This. Those 30 minutes are exhibit A for how good this team can become. Unfortunately our youth showed in the final 10 minutes as the offense went cold - otherwise this would have been far and away the best win we've had under Buzz

The 1st 30 minutes made me dream of how exciting this team could be next year...with Shaka Smart Coaching them. Add one athlete with some serious hops? Dangerous.

It's reasonably common for a team to play badly and win, just like a team can play well and lose. Tonight we played well for 30 minutes and built just enough of a lead to beat a decent team who was playing like crap. It's a good win in the context of our current situation.

These are the nights you hope for. You play a team who plays ugly but is flat and you get a win. I'll bank it any day. KenPom stats mean nothing in a game like this. It's a bunch of kids trying to put the ball in the hoop.

This. Those 30 minutes are exhibit A for how good this team can become. Unfortunately our youth showed in the final 10 minutes as the offense went cold - otherwise this would have been far and away the best win we've had under Buzz

The main reason "the offense went cold" is that we ran the same offensive set the entire second half. We didnt give them a different look a single time. A good defensive team like UVa is going to adjust when they see the same thing every time down the court. When you are trying to run some clock and dont mix up the sets, you are going to create some problems for yourself. Plus, they picked up the intensity noticably down the stretch. They were flat coming off the UNC win. We are fortunate to get out of there with a win tonight. Their turnovers throughout the game and the fact that the guard that beat our press in the last second cant shoot a lick and eschewed the chance to send the game into OT worked in our favor. Big win. We needed it. We must get a second one Saturday.

FYI, coming into the game UVA was in the top 20 (39%) for 3pt FG%. While UVA was out of sorts, I don't think our perimeter defense could be faulted. We certainly limited their shots most of the night.

FYI, coming into the game UVA was in the top 20 (39%) for 3pt FG%. While UVA was out of sorts, I don't think our perimeter defense could be faulted. We certainly limited their shots most of the night.

We did a great job on Harris for 38 minutes, which turned out to be just enough.

Nice win, guys. Really happy for the players. Props to Buzz for his best win as coach in WS.

Back