• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 178: The thrill is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunk Australian women don't give a fuck.

3MM4SXi.gif

howd Bobby Muuss get it going so fast? Is he a great recruiter?

He is an amazing recruiter. Kids love him.

But we weren't bad before, most of these kids came in under Jay, and the program had an incredible base in place for any new person: great local support/money, great venue with renovations/improvements underway, best conference, Vidovich probably one of the best handful of coaches in the country in terms of setting his teams out and playing.

The margin of error is just smaller in college soccer, especially at Wake when kids are still paying a lot of money to go to school. If your stud recruits either don't pan out like you hoped or leave early, it's tougher to replace; Vidovich fell into that cycle, and probably stayed with some kids too long who weren't really good enough. I also think he just got tired of the AD's bullshit, but that's pure speculation. Vidovich needed a stud recruiter and I think his assistants weren't up to par after Muuss left. Part of that is his fault, since one of his assistants was his nephew (by marriage) and I'm not sure he was what Vidovich needed.

Easier to win regularly with ballers, though, than with tactics, and easier to sell the program as an energetic, enthusiastic head man, than with a soccer savant who may rub people the wrong way occasionally. If Muuss surrounds himself with coaches who complement him (and him having Franks at Denver -- who was always going to be a coach -- Vidovich was raving about his acumen when he showed up on campus) and cover him in areas, we should be good for a while, because he will bring players and get them to buy in.

Last edited:
Rocking the Mr. Turner look to my teaching job fair this morning. Hipster-ish leather jacket with the 'stache

Thanks!

Name was picked out before we started the series.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I was just trolling, congrats on the new addition!

I swear I called for the baby to be named P something

Congrats Chic!

I'm doing my civic duty and researching all the people that I will vote for later tonight. There are a ton of judge openings in PA. Now I understand the constant commercials with people talking about how tough they are on crime. (Pretty excited for those to go away, btw.)

But we weren't bad before, most of these kids came in under Jay, and the program had an incredible base in place for any new person: great local support/money, great venue with renovations/improvements underway, best conference, Vidovich probably one of the best handful of coaches in the country in terms of setting his teams out and playing.

The margin of error is just smaller in college soccer, especially at Wake when kids are still paying a lot of money to go to school. If your stud recruits either don't pan out like you hoped or leave early, it's tougher to replace; Vidovich fell into that cycle, and probably stayed with some kids too long who weren't really good enough. I also think he just got tired of the AD's bullshit, but that's pure speculation. Vidovich needed a stud recruiter and I think his assistants weren't up to par after Muuss left. Part of that is his fault, since one of his assistants was his nephew (by marriage) and I'm not sure he was what Vidovich needed.

Easier to win regularly with ballers, though, than with tactics, and easier to sell the program as an energetic, enthusiastic head man, than with a soccer savant who may rub people the wrong way occasionally. If Muuss surrounds himself with coaches who complement him (and him having Franks at Denver -- who was always going to be a coach -- Vidovich was raving about his acumen when he showed up on campus) and cover him in areas, we should be good for a while, because he will bring players and get them to buy in.

Anne Ramsey may not bring the heat often, but when she does, it is good shit.

the-goonies-mama.gif

yo AR have you ever seen a college soccer player as polished/talented as Jack Harrison?

and the tigers have made 3 world series in my adult life and lost them all, mostly from bullpen collapses - it's success, but each WS loss killed me a little inside

Wait, when did the 3rd one happen? Can you see the future?

Wait, when did the 3rd one happen? Can you see the future?

just 2 :(

06 and 12

in my mind we made it to the World Series in 2011 when justin verlander won the MVP and Cy Young and miguel cabrera won the triple crown and we won the central by 20 games

or maybe i thought we made it in 2013 when miguel cabrera won the MVP and max scherzer won the cy young (and started the season 13-0) and iglesias 2nd place ROY and we won the central for the 3rd straight time and we set the MLB strikeout record

nope, just those two, you're right

i started really following the tigers in high school in 03...the year we lost 119 games

good times

yo AR have you ever seen a college soccer player as polished/talented as Jack Harrison?

Tough to compare. I haven't watched much of the Deacs this year (or the last few, honestly), just the past few games that have been on watchespn. He is extremely talented. But yeah, I have seen a few. If you're talking about Wake attackers then Serge Daniv is still the most talented/polished. I think he came to school maybe a little older though, but he was Shevchenko's year in Ukraine and the word was when Serge arrived that those were the best two players in that age group in Ukraine, Shevchenko being one of Europe's best strikers in the early 2000s. If Serge had any knee cartilage, he would have been amazing. He also was a nice guy, a problem that has plagued some of our best players (Moose, Bone) who have needed to be more assholes on the field, anyway. Harrison seems to have a little more of an edge? I don't know, I've seen him lose concentration a little in the few games I've watched, but he is electric with the ball, so you can forgive that a little. I thought Notre Dame had some success attacking down their left side and he struggled a little that game, but of course made up for it. Notre Dame was also really good and had a couple of special players.

Parkhurst, Phelan, and Cronin were all as polished and talented, though not attackers, so not sure if that's what you're looking for. And that's just Wake players. But I think I'd put those three and Serge in a Wake all time lineup.

Not taking anything away from Harrison, he is definitely one of the best freshman I have seen and he is putting up great numbers. I just don't think he is a transcendental talent or anything and we, and the ACC in general, have seen a ton of very, very good young soccer players over the years.

I was pulling for the Tigers in both 2006 and 2012, so I acknowledge your pain. It also sucks that those were 2 terrible, terrible World Serieses. I think 2012 might actually be one of the very worst World Serieses of all time.

Who, in all of college soccer, would you put in that transcendental class?

Tough to compare. I haven't watched much of the Deacs this year (or the last few, honestly), just the past few games that have been on watchespn. He is extremely talented. But yeah, I have seen a few. If you're talking about Wake attackers then Serge Daniv is still the most talented/polished. I think he came to school maybe a little older though, but he was Shevchenko's year in Ukraine and the word was when Serge arrived that those were the best two players in that age group in Ukraine, Shevchenko being one of Europe's best strikers in the early 2000s. If Serge had any knee cartilage, he would have been amazing. He also was a nice guy, a problem that has plagued some of our best players (Moose, Bone) who have needed to be more assholes on the field, anyway. Harrison seems to have a little more of an edge? I don't know, I've seen him lose concentration a little in the few games I've watched, but he is electric with the ball, so you can forgive that a little. I thought Notre Dame had some success attacking down their left side and he struggled a little that game, but of course made up for it. Notre Dame was also really good and had a couple of special players.

Parkhurst, Phelan, and Cronin were all as polished and talented, though not attackers, so not sure if that's what you're looking for. And that's just Wake players. But I think I'd put those three and Serge in a Wake all time lineup.

Not taking anything away from Harrison, he is definitely one of the best freshman I have seen and he is putting up great numbers. I just don't think he is a transcendental talent or anything and we, and the ACC in general, have seen a ton of very, very good young soccer players over the years.

OMFG, you still love Serge Daniv so much. That is fantastic. Thank you for this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back