• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins: My Final Take

Most of all, Dan could be trusted to try to be fair and not to do undeserved hit pieces. He had a sincere interest in our programs and he was courteous to his readers. The "Missing Skip" column in late July was one of his last pieces and may have been one of his very best in part because he had the benefit of the historical context. He leaves big shoes to fill at the Journal. Someone from the Wake side needs to weigh in with the Executive Editors. A bad choice can undo a lot of progress and goodwill.

On the Vandy game, my recollection is that he wasn't even writing an article for that game, and possibly none of the road games. Just the blog. Pretty sure the journal would run the AP story.

not when it's a meaningless game.

i have never, ever witnessed a single person pay to attend a work related event on their own dime that would, in theory, help them perform better in their own job. if you have done so, kudos to you. you're one in a million.

You've never seen people pay for things out of pocket that would help them do their job better?

not when it's a meaningless game.

i have never, ever witnessed a single person pay to attend a work related event on their own dime that would, in theory, help them perform better in their own job. if you have done so, kudos to you. you're one in a million.

oh man, you don't know any teachers then do you.

Well it's what I said.

I guess. But that's what plenty of Wake fans do. And it's not unusual for someone to pay out of pocket for things that will help them perform better in their job.

Well it's what I said.

No kidding. And i applied your broad statement to a narrower population, specifically Dan Collins and the Vandy game, and concluded that your effort to imply that Dan should have attended on his own dime was flat out wrong.

I'll just note this once more: his job for the journal did not involve writing a story for the Vandy game. If it did, I would not expect him to pony up and go to Nashville.

Anyway, I am going to miss Dan. When I moved to Winston, I susbscribed to the Journal and really enjoyed his coverage. As I've said on here many times, we were lucky to have Dan. Happy retirement!

Best wishes in retirement to Dan. He was a great writer and even better person. He made a point to speak to me every time he saw me. He could remember almost any detail of things you told him about yourself and background and always made you fell like a friend. We were lucky to have him for all these years. It will certainly be different without him.

You've never seen people pay for things out of pocket that would help them do their job better?

I'm all about picking up the basics but if I need a new filing cabinet or anything tech related, I'm expensing that ish.

Glad he got to cover some successes in his final go-around. He always did a good job in my book.

He PMed me once on the old boards. Wonder if he made it over here.

If he was on the old boards, I am sure he made it over here. Is Dan the one that used "lunatic fringe" to describe some message board posters during the Bz Out era?

In some respects, we have Dan to thanks for this board. Had he not posted the piece on Gaudio, Irish and DV7 wouldn't have been banned from scout (at least not then) and started OGB.

Always enjoyed Dan's work. In high school his articles on Wednesday mornings were the only way to get quotes from the Tuesday press conference.

He also broke the Gio Bernard not playing story to me while tailgating in 2012. Times have changed in 5 years.

Back