• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch Thread Credibility Watch

People like Lunardi and Palm who base their projections on actual wins believe that we would be in the NCAA Tourney field if the season ended today, which everyone on this board seems to agree would make this season a successful one. I think the disconnect is between people on one side who view games more as a series of data points (stat geeks and outsiders who don't necessarily watch our games) and accordingly see us as a mid-30's team, and those who are inclined to treat each game as its own universe, who see more as a team ranked somewhere between 60-80.

Given the traumatic nature in which we lost the Clemson game, and the less-severe but still significant collapses against UVA and F$U, plus the horrific finish last year, I think it's easy to see why some people are suspicious of rankings or projections that put us in or near the NCAAT field at this point

Yeah. I basically agree although I don't think anybody sees us as a 60-80 team. I got this rep to my post that helps further explain my take: "Exactly. It's like they've changed the definition of what success us. Stats fill in the gaps around resullts. Stats, in and of themeslves, are not the result."

Wake fans especially shouldn't get too excited about what we "should do" until we do it. It's called cautious optimism.

Last edited:
Wake fans especially shouldn't get too excited about what we "should do" until we do it. It's called cautious optimism.

Ultimately you still have to win games. Apparently we have the luxury of a great SOS, so if we play well and win our fair share of games we can back up the stats with a decent record.

The temptation is to overreact, both to wins and losses.

But I think what we saw today was not just the progress of a young team, hitting free throws and limiting turnovers. It was also significant of progress from a young head coach. Need to see a lot more winning before the fans start to show up on par with earlier coaching staffs, and need a marquee win to make a statement. But this was a good day.

But I think what we saw today was not just the progress of a young team, hitting free throws and limiting turnovers. It was also significant of progress from a young head coach. Need to see a lot more winning before the fans start to show up on par with earlier coaching staffs, and need a marquee win to make a statement. But this was a good day.

State is also a total mess right now. I was at the game. Their fans HATE Gottfried right now.

Win on Tuesday and I bet the crowd for Duke will be the most hype it's been in years.

Yeah. I basically agree although I don't think anybody sees us as a 60-80 team. I got this rep to my post that helps further explain my take: "Exactly. It's like they've changed the definition of what success us. Stats fill in the gaps around resullts. Stats, in and of themeslves, are not the result."

Ph, where would you rank this team, based on what we have actually done?

titcr

and some of y'all still reference rpi, lol

Middle of the pack in the ACC.

Then why pour cold water on everything? That would get us in the tourney in all likelihood.

and some of y'all still reference rpi, lol

I'm not seriously using it to judge how good we are. But the committee absolutely uses it in their analysis of who should get in and who should not, so it can't exactly be completely dismissed as meaningless

Then why pour cold water on everything? That would get us in the tourney in all likelihood.

I'm not seriously using it to judge how good we are. But the committee absolutely uses it in their analysis of who should get in and who should not, so it can't exactly be completely dismissed as meaningless

How is being middle of the pack in the ACC pouring cold water on everything? We have been fighting to stay out of last place for the last seven years, so I would say that being middle of the pack is actually a pretty big deal. I don't think Ph would disagree. We're nowhere near the top tier, but we appear to be making some progress.

Any measure that puts UCLA and Wake at more or less the same tier is seriously flawed. I don't care how you're using it. Don't use it.

Ph saying we're middle of the pack in the ACC is a rare case of not pouring cold water on everything. That's the point -- he and others are negative nancies whenever possible, yet when push comes to shove in terms of assessing where we actually are, he is forced to give props

It isn't Ph pouring cold water on everything. That's the point -- he and others are negative nancies whenever possible, yet when push comes to shove in terms of assessing where we actually are, he is forced to give props

If he didn't pour cold water on everything then why would you quote his post and suggest he was pouring cold water on everything?

Most of us have realistic expectations for Wake basketball, but also have a healthy level of skepticism after watching awful basketball for nearly a decade.

If he didn't pour cold water on everything then why would you quote his post and suggest he was pouring cold water on everything?

Most of us have realistic expectations for Wake basketball, but also have a healthy level of skepticism after watching awful basketball for nearly a decade.

Has Manning met expectations thus far.

Strickland seems like he'd be real fun at parties.

Everyone, explain everything to him. Thanks

Back