• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Opinion Poll #1: Pre-Presser

Danny Manning

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My #ManUp feelings have doubled since reading the most negative nancies on here.

It's a bad hire but that doesn't mean he'll be a bad coach.

Do posters win something for being the first and loudest to say he sucks? Some on here believe more in the fight than the cause.

Funny. I think Arlington's Holier-Than-Thou bit of playing deacfreke2 has had the opposite effect on me.

Regardless, the second sentence sums it up. Disappointing that we couldn't do any better, but Manning at least has the potential to be a good, possibly even great coach. If nothing else, we should see a marked improvement from our bigs next year. Hopefully we can get a recruiting stud with ties to the area with some of the (alleged) $3 mill we saved. Nothing for it but to close ranks and hope for the best.

it seems that the bzzaster has pulled the program down further than I thought. Manning has promise. There is every reason to think that he will be able to recruit and be a leader of men, two things that [Redacted] could not do. That alone will hopefully be enough to get us back to respectable. Respectable is not what our goal should be, but at this point we have got to climb out of the flaming dumpster, put out the fires, and stagger out of the alley. I think Manning's floor is respectable, i.e. top half of the (now giant) ACC. His ceiling is unknown and I hope it is very high indeed.

#ManUP

It's a handful of people and not even really the loudest of the [Redacted] haders but they type a lot and often and very emo.

A lot more than a handful dislike this hire, but you'll be hard pressed to find anybody who won't hope for the best. At worst, you will find continued apathy.

I only have 2 reservations about Manning:

1) Lack of experience
2) Elite talents rarely make great coaches

I'm assuaged about the first reservation by the trajectory he's shown in his small sample space. The second concern is lessened by his having to adjust to no longer being able to use elite talent to play in the NBA, since he got injured almost immediately once pro.

I'm all in and I hope we can coalesce as a fan base to fully support him until such time he shows he's not worthy of such support.

I'm Manning wait and see, and hope he does well, but in the mean time I'm so pissed off that Wellman didn't follow through on his "home run" hire, that I may just be apathetic to Wake basketball for a while.

This is how I feel though hopefully I will get over it come October.

Back