• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning's Coaching Staff

I insist that he bring back the other 4 members of the '88 Kansas team as his staff and that they all perform as his background singers.

While that's a joke, you could do a lot worse for hires, considering Kevin Pritchard and Milt Newton (both accomplished NBA front office folks) would be a part of that.

I know people here are underwhelmed (to say the least) with Manning, but he has some pretty great connections in both college (Self, Larry Brown, Turgeon, Calipari?) and the NBA (Newton, Pritchard, RC Buford, teammates and coaches during his career). He could probably get a decent staff here at Wake.

While that's a joke, you could do a lot worse for hires, considering Kevin Pritchard and Milt Newton (both accomplished NBA front office folks) would be a part of that.

I know people here are underwhelmed (to say the least) with Manning, but he has some pretty great connections in both college (Self, Larry Brown, Turgeon, Calipari?) and the NBA (Newton, Pritchard, RC Buford, teammates and coaches during his career). He could probably get a decent staff here at Wake.

Agreed 100%. My biggest concern with this hire is not that he sucks, but that he does well and bolts for the League after 3 or 4 years.

Agreed 100%. My biggest concern with this hire is not that he sucks, but that he does well and bolts for the League after 3 or 4 years.

And if he does well enough at Wake to do that, Wake will have seen three-four pretty good to great years of BB. His record will look a lot like that of the predecessor to [Redacted].

LeVelle isn't leaving a position as HC at his alma mater to come be an assistant coach at Wake. The only hope would be for him to be Assoc. HC.

I'll allow it. Make it so!

make-it-so-captain.jpg

The only assistant on our current staff who is an asset is Battle. I'm thinking he ends up at Providence, and I wish him the best of luck. If he wanted to stay, he'd be the only 1 I'd consider if I were Manning. If Manning is going to be remotely successful, he's going to have to recruit well right away. Retaining our PG and going out and getting as late pick-ups a big and a 2G is the only way he'll have any success next year. And then he's going to have to get some 4*s next year.

Okay, whatever we do, whatever assistants are hired or retained, Wendell Moore needs to be on the staff because he is the Bad Motherfucker Wallet of college basketball coaches:

n4fwnc.jpg

I just don't understand the Battle love. I know he's taken quite a few bullets for Wake and could have left, but stayed. That said, our recruiting has sucked and our player development has sucked. Some of that lies on the assistants.

Battle is the only assistant that should be considered. But that will be tough, because it would mean demoting or replacing one of his current guys.

Assuming this is going to happen, we are taking a huge risk, but there is a high reward. I can roll with it, and will certainly be excited to see what he can do. He has spent a lot of time with Self, who I consider to be one of the best coaches in college basketball right now. I really have no idea what to expect other than I hope that he can parlay his big time name into some big time recruits.

I just don't understand the Battle love. I know he's taken quite a few bullets for Wake and could have left, but stayed. That said, our recruiting has sucked and our player development has sucked. Some of that lies on the assistants.

Battle prolly would have been the promotion over Dino had his wife not been battling cancer at the time. He's very well respected, and our few recruiting successes the last few years have been due to him with Buzzdick being a recruiting hindrance (according to our insiders). Our talent base would currently be much worse without him. Don't get me wrong, we should probably have a clean break. Rusty and Chill don't bring much to the table. I fully expect Battle to head to Providence. But if he wants to stay, and Danny decides he could use an East Coast guy to help him get through the next couple of years, that could be a good fit.

Follow Larry Brown's plan at KS. Hire Harry Giles' dad.

DUDE, Say Hey, I can't believe you LEFT OFF SHEA SEALS

That guy was AWESOME for Tulsa (so I doubt he makes the move to WS)

RICK BARNES and Clemson shut down Shea Seals in his last college game. Held him to 5 points IIRC.

oh man! i was just thinking that manning could get his buddy wayman tisdale on staff and could jam out some sweet jazz bass in the offseason with clawson on vocals, BUT tisdale passed away in 2009. RIP Wayman Tisdale.

Something you have to think about is Manning will be able to pay much more here. He can get established assistants and maybe even an ex-coach to sit next to him.

Back