• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC Metro Rush+

I never used the metro to get to work, but I never have problems getting to nats games, hh, or people's houses during rush hour. I kind of like it cause if I have to switch lines I know I have to wait forever for the next train. you all just like to bitch and buckets will take any opportunity he can to rail dc. hows the public transit system in LA, btw?

Hating on the Metro is one of my favorite things. I guarantee this new campaign or whatever won't help Orange riders, anyway, since it always bottles up before Rosslyn because of the trains coming in from the Blue Line. So you end up waiting in the tunnel between Courthouse and Rosslyn, tilting uncomfortably to the side. That will only get worse.

One positive of coming in from Grosvenor for my new job: fresh originating trains in the morning.

It's not that the metro is bad, it's that the NY Subway is just so much better.

I never used the metro to get to work, but I never have problems getting to nats games, hh, or people's houses during rush hour. I kind of like it cause if I have to switch lines I know I have to wait forever for the next train. you all just like to bitch and buckets will take any opportunity he can to rail dc. hows the public transit system in LA, btw?

Nah the Metro is like 80% of my beef with DC. It sucks and it is funny hearing people try to justify it. I never said LA public transit was great. It is funny how on the boards if you objectively critique something in a city everyone automatically compares it to where you currently live. The Metro in DC objectively sucks and whether I live in WS or the Jersey Shore or wherever, that doesn't change the fact that it is an expensive and unreliable service.

agreed on biking. i bike from bloomingdale (dc's hottest neighborhood, nbd) to rosslyn. about 5 miles, and it is MONTE.

Our current spot is going on the market in less than two weeks and Bloomingdale is where we're looking. Not a lot on the market there now, but hopefully that changes soon.

It's not that the metro is bad, it's that the NY Subway is just so much better.

this is how i feel.

i think people that bitch and moan about the metro are jut public transit haters. it's the price you pay for avoiding traffic and keeping traffic down.

the house across the street from us is for sale.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2100-2nd-St-NW-Washington-DC-20001/479293_zpid/

says it isn't hee, but i think he just hast listed it yet. talked to the owner last week, and i think i remember 520s or so fo the listing. needs some work, and it only has 1 bathroom in the main house (one in the basement). we could be neighbors!

who was the doofus who said i was going to get shot by buying this condo? bes decision i've made apart from engaging my betrothed.

there's a a ton for sale around us. come over to boundary stone, ad let's have a beer and look!

think he lives close to me, not vice-versa.

Well I meant you actually live there (own a place), whereas he just rents.

I work in DuPont and live on the Hill. I bike a decent amount when I can (99% is bike lanes on East Capitol, Penn, and 15th). If I don't bike I then take Metro in the morning and usually walk home, so that's nice.

there's a a ton for sale around us. come over to boundary stone, ad let's have a beer and look!

Will likely be at BS at some point this weekend. I have spent a lot of time there the past month or so. And 1 bath in the main area is a deal-breaker, but if you know of or hear about other places that may be coming up let me know.

Metro'd into dc via the red line in the Spring. My new job in Silver Spring has me driving every day. God I love it.

Metro is boss for Verizon Center, Nats, HH, and going out on the weekends for me.

Still trying to figure out where to buy. I'm with TwentyOne - I'd like some space but still have access to the city.

Last edited:
We bought in Brookland about 2 years ago and LOVE it. Fairly affordable for a lot of house space and a decent amount of yard. Never any problems parking. 4-5 block walk to Metro. Slightly further from downtown than Bloomingdale, but I walk to work most days (Brookland to Dupont almost exactly 3 miles straight down Rhode Island) and it's an easy Metro back to RI. RI is also a great route driving straight down town at night or on weekends when you want to avoid metro track work. Lots of Bikeshare around too.

We got about 2400 sq ft with a front, back, and side yard for under $400k. So happy with the house and neighborhood.

Yeah, I get a seat in the mornings. But since there will be half the number of trains now, even that is no guarantee. Its the PM commute that I am worried about. Its going to be insane.

Oh, I could take the new yellow line service to chinatown, switch to a red and get off at Dupont and vice-a-versa in the PM, but of course Dupont south entrance is closed for 14 months or whatever, so not sure that helps me out at all in the short term. Plus the thought of going to chinatown and having to wait, not just for a yellow line train, but a yellow train to Fran-Spring, is, unsettling.

If you're at the southern end of Dupont, the morning should be fine going Rush+ Yellow to L'Enfant (Orange/Blue to Farr. W.) or Gallery Place (Red to Farr. N.). The riders going to Franconia in the afternoon will probably split between old Blue and new Yellow, so trains shouldn't be too packed regardless of whether you stick with Blue or go back to Gallery Place to get a Rush+ Yellow. I think you're still better off taking Metro than driving in from (and out to) Springfield every day.

(Incidentally, they could have solved this problem by building the new Silver Line tunnel that was discussed at one point, but if they were too cheap to put the Tysons stations underground, I guess forking over the $$ to build a whole new tunnel was out of the question.)

METRO is one of the shittiest things about the shittiest city in America. What a fucking joke of a public transit system.

I don't really get the Metro hate. Sure, it's not great, but it's not that bad. I've ridden a lot of subway systems and Metro doesn't pop into my head when I think of bad ones. While the NY system overall is better, there is one huge factor in DC's favor: noise. The NY subway is so ridiculously noisy that it can cause fairly large hearing loss riding it daily.

I think my least favorite subway system that I've been on is Rome's. It doesn't go that many places, is fairly loud, very crowded, and too warm. Prague's is also not that great because it's packed all the time (or at least every time I tried to use it). My favorite systems are probably Vienna and Paris. Both have stations all over and run trains really frequently.

i'll be really intrested to see how gentrified NE can get. if you follow the metro stops the green is pretty much all there or started too in the city. plenty of work to be done for us whities on the red still, though, as far as i know.

Back