• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC Metro Rush+

It's not that the metro is bad, it's that every other subway is just so much better.

FIFY.

Seriously, I've never ridden a system that's worse than Metro. And the frustrating thing is that they keep jacking up prices, but the service gets worse. Were there consequences for the report that doors opened while the train was moving a few weeks ago? Of course not.

FIFY.

Seriously, I've never ridden a system that's worse than Metro. And the frustrating thing is that they keep jacking up prices, but the service gets worse. Were there consequences for the report that doors opened while the train was moving a few weeks ago? Of course not.

You've never ridden the systems in Prague, Rome, Atlanta, or Boston (just off the top of my head) I take it?

After thinking about it a bit, I would probably add Chicago to that list too. The L is so freakin' slow.

No chance. Boston and Chicago's are far superior to the Metro.

The only European ones I've ridden were in London and Munich - both light years ahead of Metro in almost every regard.

Atlanta is horrible. NY is better that the Metro, just because they were able to build most of it when there was no regulation. It is also pretty nasty compared to Metro.

For those traveling up the 95 corridor, the 895 bypass is undergoing some major construction over the next few weeks and they are expecting major delays, which I imagine will back up the Fort McHenry Tunnel as well

topimage.png

The Baltimore Harbor Tunnel
This project consists of resurfacing the concrete deck of the “K-Truss” or “Steel Bridge” on I-895 over the CSX Railroad, just south of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Toll Plaza, as well as work on the approach roadways in Baltimore City. This 55-year old bridge deck was last resurfaced in 2000.

Work Zone
Work will be performed on the I-895 K-Truss bridge and approach roadways between Exit 8 (Shell Road/Hanover Street) and Exit 7 (Potee Street). Median barrier work will also be performed at the I-895 bridge over Frankfurst Avenue.

stayaleart.png

Project Stages and Lane Closures
The I-895 K-Truss Bridge Repair Project is scheduled to begin in June 2012, with an expected completion in October 2012. Construction will be completed in four stages, with an eight week duration of continuous (24/7) single lane closures. The schedule is subject to change due to weather and other variables. *Additional off-peak lane closures will occur as necessary.

stages.png

Fiance rides the Blue Line from VA into DC (i.e. the section of Metro that is getting punished the most by Rush+). She said she waited 10 minutes for a train during rush hour and it was packed to the gills by the time it got to Crystal City (where we live). Basically what everyone on the Blue Line was expecting - oh and they're still charging her peak pricing for less-than-peak service. Well done WMATA.

I told her to experiment with taking yellow to L'Enfant and switching to get to Foggy, but that's just a hassle.

Fiance rides the Blue Line from VA into DC (i.e. the section of Metro that is getting punished the most by Rush+). She said she waited 10 minutes for a train during rush hour and it was packed to the gills by the time it got to Crystal City (where we live). Basically what everyone on the Blue Line was expecting - oh and they're still charging her peak pricing for less-than-peak service. Well done WMATA.

I told her to experiment with taking yellow to L'Enfant and switching to get to Foggy, but that's just a hassle.

Yep. As expected it sucks the big one. I timed it using the app so that I didnt have to wait the full 12 mins, but of course the train was twice as crowded. I had to stand for almost an hour. Reading is pretty much out of the question. This is pretty big hit to my commute. Probably worse in the summer than it will be in the winter b/c of tourists, but still.

I read an article over the weekend where some metro rep was quoted as saying it will improve service for X-number of riders and the only line that will suffer "services a cemetary." INFURIATING.

Ever heard of Dupont/Farragut West/K Street? How bout foggy bottom? How bout the FUCKING STATE DEPARTMENT.

Here's a suggestion, if you are going to cut service for people who take the blue line from NoVa to NW, how about you keep the rates the same for those people instead of jacking them up across the board? Is that so difficult to accomplish? If you get on at Farragut/Foggy Bottom, you pay a different rate since you have to wait longer and cram in to a train. This is not brain surgery.

I consider myself a fairly patient person. I do think people complain about Metro too much. The service, generally, is not as bad as its made out to be, at least during the week, or at least before they came up with this genius idea. My main problem with it at this point is the cost. It is way, way too expensive now. They think they can just raise rates and employers will cover it, well not so much any more, not even for Feds.

Yep. As expected it sucks the big one. I timed it using the app so that I didnt have to wait the full 12 mins, but of course the train was twice as crowded. I had to stand for almost an hour. Reading is pretty much out of the question. This is pretty big hit to my commute. Probably worse in the summer than it will be in the winter b/c of tourists, but still.

I read an article over the weekend where some metro rep was quoted as saying it will improve service for X-number of riders and the only line that will suffer "services a cemetary." INFURIATING.

Ever heard of Dupont/Farragut West/K Street? How bout foggy bottom? How bout the FUCKING STATE DEPARTMENT.

Here's a suggestion, if you are going to cut service for people who take the blue line from NoVa to NW, how about you keep the rates the same for those people instead of jacking them up across the board? Is that so difficult to accomplish? If you get on at Farragut/Foggy Bottom, you pay a different rate since you have to wait longer and cram in to a train. This is not brain surgery.

I consider myself a fairly patient person. I do think people complain about Metro too much. The service, generally, is not as bad as its made out to be, at least during the week, or at least before they came up with this genius idea. My main problem with it at this point is the cost. It is way, way too expensive now. They think they can just raise rates and employers will cover it, well not so much any more, not even for Feds.

Sounds like you are just putting up with what the Red Line riders put up with for years.

tht extra yellow train was pretty MONTE this morning from Shaw to Gallery ace. Got down to the station at 8:15, and I ws at ork in Rosslyn by 8:45.

This is my favorite tweet from the WMATA Twitter Account so far about Rush+

"tip: Try taking 1st train to platform. Even with transfer, you're still moving, instead of watching other trains not yours pass."

I mean, I don't know a better way to summarize how full of shit the Metro is. Typically this will be slower overall by about 3 minutes unless you luck out on a perfectly timed transfer. And yet they recommend it because it should make people "feel better" about paying more to wait longer during rush hour. Unbelievable.

i dont get it. why would it take moe time to take the first train?

Sounds like you are just putting up with what the Red Line riders put up with for years.

This is BS. The Red Line has been fucked for so long because Metro is incompetent and couldn't handle the increased volume coming in from and back out to Maryland. Plus the line is the oldest in the system, so its the most susceptible to failure, etc.

What's happening on the Blue Line was PLANNED by Metro because they knew they couldn't continue to operate the Orange Line the way they had been without encountering a major disaster. Rather than take the time to plan out improvements that were cost effective, they just took away trains from the Blue Line, which, btw, has shown population increases recently with the growth in Crystal/Pentagon Cities and the area surrounding Potomac Yards.

Not saying the Red Line doesn't suck, but its a completely different kind of suck.

i dont get it. why would it take moe time to take the first train?

They're telling you to take the wrong train to a transfer point instead of waiting for your train. So let's take a very common route, you're heading to Rosslyn from Springfield. Your blue line just got replaced by a fancy new Rush+ yellow line train. Your choice is to wait 6-10 minutes for an extra train, or just take yellow and transfer at L'Enfant Plaza. Metro is suggesting you just get on and transfer, even though that will take you 15 extra minutes on average.

The idiocy of the suggestion is that getting people onto trains they don't want to be on masks the problem they're seeing right now - that the "unnecessary trains" they removed are now packed to the gills as empty train after empty train of the new routes roll through.

As a yellow line rider, I love that I can pretty much stretch out in a row of seats every day. Sucks for everyone else though. In essence they've taken a situation where the scales are tipped 60/40 in the wrong direction and dropped a comically large one ton anvil on one side. Like building massive uncovered escalators or using train layouts that every other city on the planet of any size has long since abandoned, it's metro as usual.

I think the biggest mistake they made was in marketing this thing as some sort of revolutationary chagne to the metro system. It's not. It's the shuffling of trains from one line to another. A simple service change. Some people benefit, some don't, but by hyping it up the way they did they set themselves up for backlash. Dumb.

I mean, that's one way of putting it.

The other would be that they had a meeting about the approaching death of the orange line and had the following decision to make.

1) remove trains from the orange line shared tracks (little to no cost, screws blue line customers)
2) make costly upgrades to improve the system

They chose #1, and then sent it to a spin team to sell the essentially zero-cost changes as some sort of improvement. I don't even want to go research what the total bill was for marketing Rush+. I really, really don't want to know about how many critical issues could be repaired/improved with that money.

Back