• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino: WFU source sez atmosphere in AD is "toxic"

Dino wants the promotion from ESPNU to ESPN. Wellman wants to wait to retire until his two golden hires start winning.

They're both full of shit. If Dino was really such great friends with Manning, he wouldn't badmouth his Athletic Department using "anonymous high ranking" sources the day after his team was bounced from the ACC Tournament in a heartbreaker. If Wellman actually practiced what he preached regarding accountability and culture the fanbase never would have fractured the way it did.

Luckily neither really matter. Dino doesn't move the needle in the media and all Wellman has left to do is glad hand rich alumni.

That talent committed to Skip not Dino. I look forward to having that kind of talent again as well.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. We haven't seen enough from DM to know what to expect with regards to recruiting. Not sure we can look forward to anything yet. i haven't seen anything that puts him head and shoulders better at coaching than Dino. If DM lands a monster class next year then we can be excited. Otherwise we will continue to struggle.

What if the "anonymous high ranking" source is DM?

You said that you wished that we had talent to waste like we did under Dino. Every contributer on that team committed to Skip. It's not like Dino was landing us that kind of talent.

I agreed that it would be nice to have that level of talent again and I look forward to the day that happens.

LOL at all the Dino hate. Nobody is calling him Wooden but he won a lot of games. Also LOL at all the wasting of talent talk. I'd be happy to have talent again to waste.

We are no better off now than we were the day after we lost to Kentucky in 2010.

Dino? What? 60-20 or something in the ACC. Two NCAA bids. No known coaching offers in 5 years. I've never heard him on a list for a Power 5 conference, not sure I've heard him on any list.

If DM is getting $2M/yr from Wake, Dino's ACC record should be worth that much, which I'm betting is probably 10 times what ESPN is paying him.

The mistake was signing up Dino when our backs were against the wall after Skip's death. Just remember many thought we had to do that to save the AT&T class.

If Dino's got something to say, just say it don't hide behind 'high level' sources.

Dino wants the promotion from ESPNU to ESPN. Wellman wants to wait to retire until his two golden hires start winning.

They're both full of shit. If Dino was really such great friends with Manning, he wouldn't badmouth his Athletic Department using "anonymous high ranking" sources the day after his team was bounced from the ACC Tournament in a heartbreaker. If Wellman actually practiced what he preached regarding accountability and culture the fanbase never would have fractured the way it did.

Luckily neither really matter. Dino doesn't move the needle in the media and all Wellman has left to do is glad hand rich alumni.

Do you think that will get him promotion from ESPN? I didn't feel like that was his angle at all. They like to doll up controversy but I really don't think this will get that much play at all.

DM is in the living rooms with and has Wake on short lists of seriously talented HS basketball players. That in and of itself is a step up from the situation with the previous coach. Next step is to close and get them enrolled.

Do you think that will get him promotion from ESPN? I didn't feel like that was his angle at all. They like to doll up controversy but I really don't think this will get that much play at all.

I don't think he had an angle, but I'm sure with the season wrapping up and his job at ESPNU presumably ending he wouldn't mind stirring up some controversy and looking like he's in the know. Just seems petty to go after his former school like that.

I don't think he had an angle, but I'm sure with the season wrapping up and his job at ESPNU presumably ending he wouldn't mind stirring up some controversy and looking like he's in the know. Just seems petty to go after his former school like that.

When the school that fired you took backhanded shots at your character on your way out and, arguably, perpetuated a whisper campaign against you, I don't think it's petty at all.

I mean Dino has been gone from the department for five years and to my knowledge doesn't have many close connections left there. Doesn't mean the atmosphere is toxic or isn't currently, but I'd be wary about giving his opinion much more weight than your own

When the school that fired you took backhanded shots at your character on your way out and, arguably, perpetuated a whisper campaign against you, I don't think it's petty at all.

Oh, right, the whisper campaign. Not the national news stories and rape allegations... But the mysterious whisper campaigns.

Dino should let sleeping dogs lie or he should actually tell a story if that's what he feels is necessary. Otherwise, yeah, it's petty. I actually think he's improved by leaps and bounds as an announcer - and like other good announcers he should leave shit-talking his old school to others.

Dino seemed to take the gloves off after the comments that were made at the Notre Dame tournament game last year about all of the "culture" issues that [name redacted] had to overcome. Clearly they were veiled shots at him to cover for [name redacted].

Before that he didn't say much at all, but he reacted pretty harshly to Wake attacking his character through the SID.

I mean Dino has been gone from the department for five years and to my knowledge doesn't have many close connections left there. Doesn't mean the atmosphere is toxic or isn't currently, but I'd be wary about giving his opinion much more weight than your own

Changed title to avoid this confusion. He was quoting a WFU source who told him this

How much of this Dino hate is really just hate for being so utterly wrong about [redacted]?

The dude was a mediocre coach but always seemed like a pleasant guy. He wasted talent (like pretty much every Wake coach) which was certainly frustrating, but he also kept the program together after Skip passed and more or less maintained the level of success we had before he took over. He wasn't the long term answer but that doesn't seem like a reason to hate on him five years after he was fired, simply because he pointed out the obvious.

Agreed so the idea that the school has decided to stop fielding competitive teams is nonsense.

The money is going to build buildings and I'm sure the athletic department bureaucracy will grow as a result.

Buildings at Wake are literally a facade to present the illusion of competitiveness when it is clear that winning is not a priority at the top.

Didn't even the Law School recently expand or have renovations or something like that sometime shortly before the now infamous Class of 2013 enrolled?

Last edited:
How much of this Dino hate is really just hate for being so utterly wrong about [redacted]?

The dude was a mediocre coach but always seemed like a pleasant guy. He wasted talent (like pretty much every Wake coach) which was certainly frustrating, but he also kept the program together after Skip passed and more or less maintained the level of success we had before he took over. He wasn't the long term answer but that doesn't seem like a reason to hate on him five years after he was fired, simply because he pointed out the obvious.

I guess I've defended Dino a lot on this thread but I can certainly admit that a) he was way over his head as a coach and b) he certainly benefits from being Wellman's foil here. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that.
I for one certainly like Dino a lot more now that he's not coaching us anymore. And if Wellman had hired Brad Stevens or even a decent HC post-Dino who could re-establish the momentum of the early-mid2000s, Dino would be an afterthought in Wake history.

Certainly people are still talking about Dino because we fired him after the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament and we haven't even sniffed the NIT in 5 years since.

Back