• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do we expect an announcement today? (Nope, Ron's in Texas)

Brangus

Reaction score
Presumably he has toured the campus and facilities. A few meetings with key people, etc...what else is there? Time for the press conference. But nothing is scheduled. This is so weird. It's like a long, painful bowel movement. I'm not happy about the Manning hire (I've said enough) but if it's the best we can do (man that is sad to type) let's make it happen. If he flies back to Oklahoma and shops us against Tulsa that will be so damn humiliating.

Last edited:
according to yahoo he's leaning towards wake.

if he says no....i just won't know what to do.

The Virginia Tech/ Buzz Williams/ Marquette-to-VaTech thing just makes this all the worse. Williams is a great coach who left Marquette for Virginia Fucking Armpit We Don't Give a Shit About Basketball Tech. In a matter of days.

And yet here we flounder. Just wondering on the day we're supposed to hear something... wondering if we'll hear something. Wellman is like the dad from Scrooged- comes home late on Chrismas and tosses a six pack of Schlitz (missing a can) at the kid. Well, it was beef but you get the idea.

according to yahoo he's leaning towards wake.

if he says no....i just won't know what to do.

I don't put too much stock into that comment--look at the way he has used the media. He is going back to Tulsa to see what they can do for him. Danny Manning doesn't give a fuck about Wake Forest--he is adding fuel to this shitshow and is just out for himself (not that I blame him, but I want a coach who wants to be here).

I don't put too much stock into that comment--look at the way he has used the media. He is going back to Tulsa to see what they can do for him. Danny Manning doesn't give a fuck about Wake Forest--he is adding fuel to this shitshow and is just out for himself (not that I blame him, but I want a coach who wants to be here).

If this happens, Wellman should be let go immediately. If we are going to hit rock bottom let's hit it HARD, purge and rebuild from scratch.

If he says Yes, then doesn't that mean he wants to be at Wake? I don't get crucifying the guy b/c he wanted to see where he would potentially work & then take a night to make a life changing decision. Just b/c the AD sucks and was unable to sell the job to anyone higher on his list doesn't seem to justify the Manning hate b/c he appears to want to make an informed decision.

if true, this would seem to mean wellman was played like a fiddle....not good

Obviously, I don't know Manning, nor have I talked with him, but this really seems to be the case. I'd rather have someone who sees this as a good job, not a stepping stone. But, at this point, we need a coach.

ETA- Not bashing on Manning, just don't want someone that's going to leave in 2-3 years or as soon as the next school comes calling.

Presumably he has toured the campus and facilities. A few meetings with key people, etc...what else is there? Time for the press conference. But nothing is scheduled. This is so weird. It's like a long, painful bowel movement. I'm not happy about the Manning hire (I've said enough) but if it's the best we can do (man that is sad to type) let's make it happen. If he flies back to Oklahoma and shops us against Tulsa that will be so damn humiliating.

Why rush things?

If anything, Tulsa has been a stepping stone for coaches. The Tulsa board rumors are that they're pitching $1M at Manning to stay. If we were throwing $3M at Smart you know we're going over $1M for Manning. And his 67 career-coached games. Maybe he'll get a little more from Tulsa from flirting with us but I think he's our next coach. And there will be something today or tomorrow.

That's a fair point, but at this stage at where the program is I'd much rather hire a coach that is going to be in position to take a step up in 3 years then someone that may potentially dig a deeper ditch then what was already created by [Redacted]. If Manning is going to "upgrade" from Wake in 3 years then the program should be at a very attractive position for another coaching search at that point in time.

Why rush things?

Good point but I'm not saying rush. It's not Villanova or Georgetown vs. Wake...he's at TULSA. This is a no brainer. He's not my choice but I don't want Wake to suffer the humiliation and we have probably offended our other, possibly better options to the point where Manning is our only option.

I mean if Manning has to think about it then he's not the right hire...Let's move on

We need somebody who considers Wake his dream job, anything less is settling.

I frankly don't care if he uses us as a stepping stone in 4-5 years. That would mean he's brought us back to prominence and make the next hire easier (hopefully for Ron's successor, not Ron). Let's just hope he's boom and not bust.

I mean if Manning has to think about it then he's not the right hire...Let's move on

We need somebody who considers Wake his dream job, anything less is settling.

I'd settle for Shaka.

Maybe Tulsa has seen what has happened at Wichita, Richmond (VCU) and Indianapolis (Butler) and decided that they don't want to be a stepping stone for great coaches?

Good point but I'm not saying rush. It's not Villanova or Georgetown vs. Wake...he's at TULSA. This is a no brainer. He's not my choice but I don't want Wake to suffer the humiliation and we have probably offended our other, possibly better options to the point where Manning is our only option.

I don't think it's entirely safe to say that Wellman was competent enough to offer all of the options better than Manning. It's also possible that for some reason Manning was third on his list and he hasn't even approached marshal, Howland, or whoever. Maybe he has, but I don't trust wellman's judgement.

If Manning says no, lets get way out of the box. I'm thinking Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I mean, why not? Its that or....who?

I frankly don't care if he uses us as a stepping stone in 4-5 years. That would mean he's brought us back to prominence and make the next hire easier (hopefully for Ron's successor, not Ron). Let's just hope he's boom and not bust.

My thoughts exactly. If he successfully uses us, that means he was successful while here. Good.

Let's just go full clown school and become the Winston Salem Globetrotters. We can run the weave and make these uniforms in a black and gold color scheme...

0338f3fc29431000afa6b1901490102a.jpg

Back