• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do we expect an announcement today? (Nope, Ron's in Texas)

I frankly don't care if he uses us as a stepping stone in 4-5 years. That would mean he's brought us back to prominence and make the next hire easier (hopefully for Ron's successor, not Ron). Let's just hope he's boom and not bust.

I could see him bolting to the NBA in 2-3 years with only modest success at Wake. 18-14 next year and 21-12 the following year when the "Sensational Seven" are seniors and Shelton Marshall is a sophomore.

The public nature of the Manning courtship is starting to piss me off. We know Wellman keeps things close to the vest, and Manning is supposedly an introvert. But look at how much shit has leaked out of the Manning camp and compare that to Shaka Smart, who stayed completely quiet out of respect for his team, school and even Wake. Just reeks of us getting played (either today by re-upping at Tulsa or in the future by throwing his name in the hat of every decent job opportunity that opens).

Obviously, I don't know Manning, nor have I talked with him, but this really seems to be the case. I'd rather have someone who sees this as a good job, not a stepping stone. But, at this point, we need a coach.

ETA- Not bashing on Manning, just don't want someone that's going to leave in 2-3 years or as soon as the next school comes calling.

I understand this line of thinking. But if he does well enough here to get a better job in three or four years, so be it. It would likely mean our program was improving.

Last edited:
I could see him bolting to the NBA in 2-3 years with only modest success at Wake. 18-14 next year and 21-12 the following year when the "Sensational Seven" are seniors and Shelton Marshall is a sophomore.

The public nature of the Manning courtship is starting to piss me off. We know Wellman keeps things close to the vest, and Manning is supposedly an introvert. But look at how much shit has leaked out of the Manning camp and compare that to Shaka Smart, who stayed completely quiet out of respect for his team, school and even Wake. Just reeks of us getting played (either today by re-upping at Tulsa or in the future by throwing his name in the hat of every decent job opportunity that opens).

Yeah, clearly if he leaves in a few years, it is fine. We will be in a better place to hire, but this is not the issue. I want to like our coach (especially after Bz), but he is making a really poor first impression.

My thoughts exactly. If he successfully uses us, that means he was successful while here. Good.

Agreed. But it's not good if the "while here" is yesterday, and it turns out to be a play for a bigger contract at Tulsa.

The media angle makes me appreciate the way Shaka handled the offer.

The idea that he would've taken the job right after leaving campus is idiotic. Have none of you ever interviewed for a job where you relocated ? Taking 24-36 hours after being on campus is completely acceptable. When did Wake fans become so dumb ?

The idea that he would've taken the job right after leaving campus is idiotic. Have none of you ever interviewed for a job where you relocated ? Taking 24-36 hours after being on campus is completely acceptable. When did Wake fans become so dumb ?

Most people don't have careers where packing up and relocating is a given and is the only means of advancing. Coaching is one of those careers. NBA basketball is often one of those careers too. You can't compare it to the typical corporate employee with a nice home in the suburbs in a "good" school district for his kids who gets an offer to transfer to a new city.

Last edited:

Again, that would be fine with me. Have 2-3 good seasons and replenish the roster. As long as Chairman Ron is no longer the AD making the hire.

If Danny is successful, I'd worry much more about a top college job than the pros. If he wanted to be coaching in the pros, he'd be doing it. Instead, he chose to be the 4th guy on the KU bench and didn't get a HC job for about a decade at the college level. He's rich, so he doesn't need the $$. He must be doing this because he loves coaching. And if he wanted an NBA job, he would have started as an NBA assistant.

I mean if Manning has to think about it then he's not the right hire...Let's move on

We need somebody who considers Wake his dream job, anything less is settling.

It's "move down" not "on." There are a lot of coaches who may consider Wake their dream job. Bzdel!k was one of them. Pelphrey may be another (at least now). Settling is when you get the guy who wants you more than you want him.

I mean if Manning has to think about it then he's not the right hire...Let's move on

We need somebody who considers Wake his dream job, anything less is settling.

Wow, if you were the AD the search would have been very short & sweet. You'd have Russell Turner, Rusty LaRue, & Randolph to choose from.

I get your point but again this is Tulsa vs. Wake. It's not even a vaguely close call. My father in law went to Texas so no Wake or ACC bias and he said "Why does this guy even have to pause when his options are Tulsa or Wake?" Don't fall into the LOWF trap. We are the Yankees compared to fucking TULSA.

Even if he is leaning towards taking the Wake job, it's kind of reasonable to let the guy consult with his wife after an official offer has been made. 24 hours is reasonable.

it's not the "take a few days" to think about it approach that is off-putting. it's the "float info to espn that i am interviewing - then interested - then considering the offer - make my mind up soon" etc that is an issue. had he answered ron's call. interviewed. come out to see the campus. interview some more all while info is not leaked to the press i don't think this would be an issue.

in that case the only issue would be that ron was having a tough time closing the deal. against tulsa.

Again, that would be fine with me. Have 2-3 good seasons and replenish the roster. As long as Chairman Ron is no longer the AD making the hire.

If Danny is successful, I'd worry much more about a top college job than the pros. If he wanted to be coaching in the pros, he'd be doing it. Instead, he chose to be the 4th guy on the KU bench and didn't get a HC job for about a decade at the college level. He's rich, so he doesn't need the $$. He must be doing this because he loves coaching. And if he wanted an NBA job, he would have started as an NBA assistant.

Thanks for the college vs. NBA breakdown on Manning. That part makes me feel better.

We have no clue on whether or not he can rebuild a roster as a head coach. I assume most of the sophomore class had committed to Tulsa when Manning took the job. The 2 best players on the team (a So. and a Fr.) transferred when he got the job. There were 4 freshman on the Tulsa roster this year: total points scored: 97!

Here's something no one has thought of -- An all Capel coaching staff.

Jeff Capel, Sr. - Head Coach
Jeff Capel, Jr. - Assciate Head Coach and Ball Boy Supervisor
Jason Capel - Assistant Coach
Two other Capels (not necessarily even related, one should probably be white)

Manning stayed in Lawrence until his son and daughter were college aged, before looking for a HC job. That's been well reported.

Picture of Jeff Capel from his playing days for those of you who have forgotten what he looks like.

TupacDuke_original.jpg

Shelton Mitchell's ball skills with Gregg Marshall's attitude. Love it.

Merging two thoughts of earlier posts: Why would Danny Manning consider Wake a stepping stone? Some here are not giving the WFU tradition enough credit. You are talking about one of the founding members of the ACC, a school that has had great success in the conference, and has a great history of players at the next level. Manning a coach who is given the chance to come back and run a program in the area of the country he spent growing up in and cheering for the ACC. Just how many jobs do you really think are out there if he has success at Wake? I would say Kansas, NBA, NCSU, or possibly UNC are the only chances he would ever leave, or use Wake as a stepping stone for. The Pack and Heels being a very slim chance, and the other two are not going to come calling unless he has GREAT success at Wake, and I do not mean a two year run. Self is at Kansas for years to come, and the NBA will want to see a larger body of work IMO.

I know I am in the minority, but I think this will turn out to be a very good hire.

Back