• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do we expect an announcement today? (Nope, Ron's in Texas)

I doubt Manning was reading Dan Collins or the message boards or had any feel for that. These boards are for discussion and venting and are not relevant in real life. The Journal is a mullet wrapper.

Anyway Manning is back in Tulsa now according to FlightAware and Ron is headed to Dallas.

If Manning said "No" would they still fly back to Tulsa together to essential drop him off before heading to TX. That would be awkward.

If Manning said "No" would they still fly back to Tulsa together to essential drop him off before heading to TX. That would be awkward.

Ron was already in Dallas...he wasn't even in Winston for Manning's visit.

In reality their are probably only two people who really want to be the head coach at Wake right now (given the overall environment, Hatch, Wellman, etc.) and they both are currently assistant coaches at Wake.

Yeah, and our quasi-insiders have said it's a done deal. It's gotta be a done deal. But then again, this has been horribly handled from the outset. I really hope the high rollers are as pissed as we are and force Hatch to put Chairman Ron out to pasture this Summer.

In reality their are probably only two people who really want to be the head coach at Wake right now (given the overall environment, Hatch, Wellman, etc.) and they both are currently assistant coaches at Wake.

Which is why we put things on hold. Fire Wellman, hire an interim and try again next year with a proper AD and search firm.

Coming to Wake after the BZZ years gives a person a lot to think to think about. Lots of land mines here. I am not against this hire- hell Billy Donovan was more of an unknown when he was hired at Florida. Good coaches start somewhere. Manning is young, his career is just starting and he has every reason to try and set the world on fire if he comes- I think we were destined to get him or someone like him from the beginning with the mess we are in. Up to Ron to get that part right. Scary I know. On-the-other-hand, I think this ship sails tomorrow. Toot toot.

Coming to Wake after the BZZ years gives a person a lot to think to think about. Lots of land mines here. I am not against this hire- hell Billy Donovan was more of an unknown when he was hired at Florida. Good coaches start somewhere. Manning is young, his career is just starting and he has every reason to try and set the world on fire if he comes- I think we were destined to get him or someone like him from the beginning with the mess we are in. Up to Ron to get that part right. Scary I know. On-the-other-hand, I think this ship sails tomorrow. Toot toot.

Football pays for everything at Florida. Nobody down here even gives a shit about the Final 4. Foley (UF AD) could have hired a janitor to coach basketball back in the 90's when Spurrier's Fun 'n Gun was on fire and nobody would have noticed. UF plays in a dumpy multipurpose center. Basketball is Wake's #1 sport. It's a distant, distant second at UF, and baseball is actually more popular than basketball in some circles down here. UF/Wake basketball hires should not be compared. If Donovan resigned next month their would be only marginal interest in his replacement...the football boards and articles would still get far more traffic.

Last edited:
Football pays for everything at Florida. Nobody down here even gives a shit about the Final 4. Foley (UF AD) could have hired a janitor to coach basketball back in the 90's when Spurrier's Fun 'n Gun was on fire and nobody would have noticed. UF plays in a dumpy multipurpose center. Basketball is Wake's #1 sport. It's a distant, distant second at UF, and baseball is actually more popular than basketball in some circles down here. UF/Wake basketball hires should not be compared. If Donovan resigned next month their would be only marginal interest in his replacement...the football boards and articles would still get far more traffic.

Tldr, Billy Donovan will be our next coach.

That makes no sense. The 5 players who scored the most points for them this year are coming back. He's afraid to play Cincy, UConn, SMU & Memphis, so he will jump to a conference to compete against Duke, Carolina, Louisville and Syracuse?

It makes perfect sense. He won his conference this year because all the good teams went to the AAC. Hence, his stock is higher now than he anticipates it will be next year or the year after. Wake gives him more money and a higher profile job than he could probably get next year when Tulsa presumably goes back to at-large contention and something like 17-18 wins. But if Tulsa matches Wake's offer and he doesn't have to dump his assistants and relocate, Tulsa may continue to be the better option for the foreseeable future.

Coaches want to know who their boss is. See Buzz Williams and Marquette

Which is why we fire Wellman and hire a proper AD over the next year, one that isn't toxic, to make the bball hire in the spring.

He is using us to try to help out his assistants too. Ron getting played like a fiddle?

Yeah, and people wonder why Wellman has tried to play this so close to the chest. As soon as Shaka turned us down, assuming all that info wasn't complete BS, every coach in the country got a little more expensive. This is exactly why when Ron hires someone, he goes to great links to make it seem like they were our first and only choice.

As much as we want to know what's going on in the process, we and the rest of the general public really don't NEED to know. The more info that leaks about the search, the more complicated the search becomes.

Last edited:
http://www.news-record.com/sports/article_c39e6b32-bb6e-11e3-b71f-0017a43b2370.html

According to this guy, Manning is also heading to Texas for the Final Four. I do find it curious that Wellman wouldn't have an announcement before he left, but at least it makes me feel a little better about Wellman being in Texas.

"The Tulsa World reports that Manning is not expected to return to Tulsa, but will instead travel to Arlington, Texas, for this weekend’s Final Four."

Last edited:
This is IT.

The Virginia Tech/ Buzz Williams/ Marquette-to-VaTech thing just makes this all the worse. Williams is a great coach who left Marquette for Virginia Fucking Armpit We Don't Give a Shit About Basketball Tech. In a matter of days.

And yet here we flounder. Just wondering on the day we're supposed to hear something... wondering if we'll hear something. Wellman is like the dad from Scrooged- comes home late on Chrismas and tosses a six pack of Schlitz (missing a can) at the kid. Well, it was beef but you get the idea.

Agreed. One of my best friends is a UF grad and she's posting on FB about spring practice!

What's sad, really sad, is that Wake fans would give almost anything to have even half of the success of Florida basketball in the past 10 years. And we ARE a basketball school! Put that perspective in the ol' pipe and smoke it.

I mean if Manning has to think about it then he's not the right hire...Let's move on

We need somebody who considers Wake his dream job, anything less is settling.

Thinking about it means. Telling his players, and then ANNOUNCING IT FRIDAY so it discussed as BREAKING NEWS at the FINAL FOUR

Going to school in the mid 2000's when wake was at its peak of basketball success cp3 and winning feelin invencible made me think Wake was a really good basketball scchool. Now I see that this was the highpoint of hoops for Wake. I am feeling very LOWF.

Last edited:
Back