• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't blame the messenger! - Marc with a C saying Buzz is Back!

fuck-everything-o.gif

since you mentioned him previously, what makes Lonergan a good hire and how does he get the fanbase to give him a Clawson welcome?

I like his track record at other schools (win national coach of the year at any level and you likely know the game) and think he would be a good bench coach for us. I don't think he would get a Clawson like welcome though. He doesn't have the personality for it and he's unlikely to be a dynamic recruiter. Decent chance that he makes us a regular NCAA tournament team again but he's not a coach I expect would win us a national title.

He's definitely not my favorite candidate. There are at least six other coaches I would prefer we offer before we get to him.

You'd think that a pizza face wouldn't have such a prejudice against the greasy WOPS; but there you have it.

I like his track record at other schools (win national coach of the year at any level and you likely know the game) and think he would be a good bench coach for us. I don't think he would get a Clawson like welcome though. He doesn't have the personality for it and he's unlikely to be a dynamic recruiter. Decent chance that he makes us a regular NCAA tournament team again but he's not a coach I expect would win us a national title.

He's definitely not my favorite candidate. There are at least six other coaches I would prefer we offer before we get to him.

Pretty much my feelings. If you really want to win back the fan base and generate real excitement, you need to back up the brinks truck for Shaka or Marshall (and you'd largely make up the salary difference in tix sales). Short of that, guys like White, Lonergan, Miller and Masiello would be acceptable hires. And of those guys, Lonergan has the most proven track record. But hire someone from the tier under that WLMM tier, and you have a disaster on your hands.

With the euphoria over a potential Buzz firing, too many are forgetting the important thing - Wellman needs to go, too.

#WellmanOUTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Pretty much my feelings. If you really want to win back the fan base and generate real excitement, you need to back up the brinks truck for Shaka or Marshall (and you'd largely make up the salary difference in tix sales). Short of that, guys like White, Lonergan, Miller and Masiello would be acceptable hires. And of those guys, Lonergan has the most proven track record. But hire someone from the tier under that WLMM tier, and you have a disaster on your hands.

so outside of those two, do you see anyone that could Clawson the fan base right away? hiring Amaker following a deep NCAA run would likely do it, not sure about Howling

I don't see a huge difference between your WLMM tier and those below in terms or immediate/complete buy in from the fan base. They have roughly the same credentials & appeal to me. A hire from any of them would require immediate success in recruiting this spring/summer and/or on the court next fall/winter to generate excitement

So much depends on if any of the candidates has a good run in the tournament. Virtually no one would have been pleased with an Andy Enfield hire at this time last year. But a couple of weeks from now after watching Dunk City dismantle a few high majors on the way to the Sweet Sixteen was a different story.

We've seen so many mid-major runs to the Final Four the last few years if that happens again then that coach becomes a board darling. Here's hoping Mike White has Shaka like run.

FWIW, in Staak's last season at Wake, he beat #1 dook at home. The previous year he beat #20 State and #3 UNC.

Won 6 ACC games in his last two years, 3 against the top 20, 2 in the top 5.

History would say that Bzz is done.

It's simple. Keep Bzdisaster and what little bit of the fan base still exists will be gone. It's a no brainer to make a change. Continuing to weaken the pre-acc season to cover up the weakeness in coaching doesn't do anyone favors when the ACC season starts. [Redacted] CANNOT win in the ACC, hell he couldn't do it in the Big 12, The current ACC is a much tougher landscape and WFU is even tougher in the shadows of Duke and UNC.

Of course, It was a no brainer that [Redacted] should have never been hired in the first place too.... Guess we'll know in a week. It's sad but I along with a ton of other fans and alumni no longer watch WFU basketball and those numbers are simply going to continue to drop unless they open up the wallets and bring in a GIGANTIC name.

I created this thread 12 days ago - the 2 items that align with today's Feinstein update are: WFNZ and Bzz is back - hopefully this was wrong on March 6 and once again it is wrong today but it's making me really nervous

Back