• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't blame the messenger! - Marc with a C saying Buzz is Back!

LOL. No, he doesn't deserve a "fuckload of credit" for developing Tim Duncan. We've been through three pages of Russell Turner with the hardest of hardcore WFU fans and people are having to Wiki the guy to even know who he is. So, no, Russell Turner did NOT develop Tim Duncan.

I assume you're drunk for even posting something this dumb.

Let's please move onto serious coaching candidates. Russell Turner is NOT one of them.

Okay, tell me Einstein, who coached the big men at Wake from 1994-1997? Who spent everyday for 4 years working with "The Big Fundamental" on fundamentals? You don't have to be a jack-ass about giving a guy credit for a job well done. The FACT is he did a great job with TD. End of story.

If I were AD, would I hire Turner as our coach? No
Would he better than Bz? Yes
Would he get us back to the dance consistently? Maybe - not the goal we should look for, needs to be higher
Does he deserve props for his coaching work with Duncan? Yes
Does he deserve the hate on this board for his name being thrown around? No
On a scale of 1-10, how would the hire rank? I'd give it a 4 compared to what we should have
Could it be a great move? Longshot, but it could

If there was a person out there who could legitimately claim to have developed Tim Duncan from a skinny kid from the VI into one of the greatest college players of all-time, he'd be doing a lot more than coaching at UC-Irvine.

I think the career trajectories of Tim Duncan post-Wake compared to anybody who ever coached him are a pretty strong indication that Tim Duncan is responsible for his own greatness.

Tim Duncan would not have achieved everything he has by himself. We all have to have someone help us along the way.

The window to hire someone from UC-Irvine who you viewed as a promising up and comer was 4 years ago. That window closed after the Stetson game

So Azdeac, how do you know Russell Turner?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can't compare recruiting to UCI to recruiting at Wake - the ACC is a different ballgame. Talking up Duncan's development where he actually played is different.

Guys, I'm not saying Turner is the right man for the job or advocating the hire - just saying he doesn't deserve the hate.

Agreed. The one who deserves the hate will be the next undeserving crony bastard that Wellman hires.

Last edited:
So Azdeac, how do you know Russell Turner?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LOL - I don't. He would not be in my Top 5 for our job - maybe … maybe Top 10, but not going to dig that deep to rank. As a player developer, he did a pretty good job with our bigs for the years he was here working with GDO. I just don't think he deserves the negativity he's getting if idiot Wellman really wants to consider him.

I usually agree with you, and I'd prefer him to those 3 by default. But his KP resume is pretty ugly. They popped this year solely because they are 1/351 in 2 pt FG % defense due to the 7'6¨ beast rim protecting against bad competition. I don't really view that as easily translatable. Their offense is still very poor this year as it has been all 4 years.

I really don't see the optimism unless it is just a read into his recruiting ability from his recruiting history at Irvine.

My take is that he's taken a horrible program up to 94 in kenpom this year with an extremely young team that he put together. They are set up to be close to a top 50 team in year 5, which would be unheard of for UCI. The 7'6" obviously guy helps, but they were really good at 2PT FG% defense last year (18th in the country), and Turner should get credit for recruiting the four star giant.

I agree there are a bunch of red flags and he would definitely be a huge risk, but I think he could be okay. Obviously he wouldn't be my choice and I'd be disappointed if he ends up being the guy.

Tim Duncan would not have achieved everything he has by himself. We all have to have someone help us along the way.

So what other bigs has Russell Turner developed into all-time greats?

So what other bigs has Russell Turner developed into all-time greats?

From Wikipedia - although I doubt he worked with Howard & Jacobson much. the rest qualify as pretty good college bigs.
"Turner helped coach several future NBA players, including Tim Duncan, Josh Howard, Darius Songaila, Casey Jacobson, Jarron Collins, Jason Collins and Josh Childress."

He was the Collins twins coach their senior year.

Good thing our current team is full of bigs he can develop, oh what's that buzz only recruits wings and shooting guards that can't shoot.

Seriously? How is that even possible?

Not trying to be a jerk, because I often times agree with you... But what is the logic? He's been at UCLA for a year.

Dude is also just not a good person. I'd hate it if we got Alford, but I guess UCLA would be more enjoyable to watch at least.

I just don't get our athletic dept selling our flagship program short. Especially after making a very good football hire and going through the last 4 years with Buzzdick. I have nothing against Turner. Never heard a bad word about him when he worked for Odom. But his resume is clearly lacking for an ACC job like ours at this time.

This is such a critical hire. If Ron makes an uninspiring hire, he's going to further alienate our fan base to the point where he'll lose a bunch of us and increase the apathy. May as well get rid of the upper deck at the Joel.

And in terms of our current assistants, there is only 1 who we should be concerned about keeping - Battle. I'm not saying Battle should be a deal breaker with a new coach, but he's the only real asset on our staff currently.

I was at wake during the years that the Turner 's were there....let me just say that hiring him would be a huge mistake in my eyes. Dude was a huge douche.

Back