• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

Agreed. But he's similar in size to McClinton. The fact that Washington can't get those minutes does not bode well for his future contributions, especially in ACC play.

This is silly. They are completely different players, and they are not the same size. McCLinton is a redshirt junior who has him by 2 inches and a lot of strength. RW won't see consistent minutes until late next year at best and that is a good thing. Wake Forest needs to recruit a combination of players. Guys who you can develop and guys who can step in and play right away. RW is a guy who has definite skills that are difficult to teach, and is severely lacking in skills that CAN be taught, specifically RW needs to grow up and get stronger. I think we will see a nice combo guard out of RW by his junior year. We don't need 13 guys to be able to play. We need 7-9. That is part of the balance of recruiting at the level WFU is at. We can certainly land some big fish, but we also need to recruit some kids we can turn into big time players. We don't have the recruiting capital to sign 3 five-stars every year. It may happen at some point (wouldn't that be great), but we aren't there, so Manning is taking some chances on guys he thinks he can develop.

If there is a guy who I am worried about it is Donovan. Not sure where he is going to fit in. Going to probably have to be a SF based on what I have seen, and if he does play that position he is going to need to shoot it the ball really well he doesn't seem to be particularly mobile. I feel confident that RW is going to be able to shoot and pass well enough to play SG/SF. The question is whether he will ever be strong enough to compete on the wing and more impotantly defend on the wing.

like when, next year? next year we only lose arians (knock on wood) and add a top 30 recruit at the same position.

seems like we brought in SJM, Rich Wash, and DMitch at the perfect time as projects as they aren't depended on to play early at all.

I agree all is well if they are productive as juniors. And the big guy was obviously a project as big men usually are. I am concerned that Washington and Mitchell were desperation recruits who won't ever contribute. Hope I am wrong.

like when, next year? next year we only lose arians (knock on wood) and add a top 30 recruit at the same position.

seems like we brought in SJM, Rich Wash, and DMitch at the perfect time as projects as they aren't depended on to play early at all.

This is exactly right. These guys know they don't deserve to play yet, and hopefully they will put in the work to get the time they desire.

We would be better off if Chill was better and could play his minutes and Wilbekin's minutes.

A legit backup SF would be nice.

We would be better off if Chill was better and could play his minutes and Wilbekin's minutes.

Agree. We signed Chill in part to get Giles though so I don't mind that signing. I think he can be a good player, and it was part of a strategy to land the #1 player in the class. SF position is weak....We have certainly addressed that in a major way next year as we have two guys who are suited to play the position.

Agree. We signed Chill in part to get Giles though so I don't mind that signing. I think he can be a good player, and it was part of a strategy to land the #1 player in the class. SF position is weak....We have certainly addressed that in a major way next year as we have two guys who are suited to play the position.

We didn't sign Chill to get Giles. We signed him because his dad is the assistant coach and he is good enough to warrant a scholarship. If the staff cared that much about recruiting Giles' teammates, they wouldn't have backed off on Jalen Johnson and Kwe like they did.

We have very little quality depth right now. When Collins isn't on the floor, we have no ACC caliber inside threat. We struggle when Crawford isn't on the floor. Willbekin is starting. McClinton is playing more significant minutes. We absolutely could use some of those freshmen on the floor in backup roles if they were ready.

so a freshman 4 star big is going to be better than soph 4 star big doral moore?

eta: i think sjm was a borderline 4 star anyway

Last edited:
so a freshman 4 star big is going to be better than soph 4 star big doral moore?

A freshman 3 star might look better than Moore has in some games. And its not all about Moore. The fact is we don't have much quality depth. I think that is undeniable once you get beyond Woods and, at times, Childress and Moore.

Edit: I do like the direction Wake is trending, and DM has upgraded the talent. My point is we could have used one or two more guys in that class who were ready to play, not star, but provide solid play, this year. That seems pretty clear to me.

Last edited:
also, why are people acting like wilbekin is having a bad season? woods is better and eventually i agree should start, but wilbekin has been very solid this year.

It's amazing how differently people see Wilbekin. I see a guy who takes 30 minutes of playing time and doesn't contribute much offensively. Against better teams he'll contribute even less. And defensively he is a huge liability. He cannot cover anyone because he is both small and not all that quick. I wouldn't call him solid at all. He hustles, he tries but he's just not very good.

compared to what a freshman guard would do, he's solid. our biggest recruiting miss in 2016 was T75 SG Eli Wright... right now for Miss St. he is averaging 17mpg, 3.4 ppg on 30% from the field and 9% from 3.

wilbekin doesn't turn it over, shoots it well, and know what he's supposed to do.

It's amazing how differently people see Wilbekin. I see a guy who takes 30 minutes of playing time and doesn't contribute much offensively. Against better teams he'll contribute even less. And defensively he is a huge liability. He cannot cover anyone because he is both small and not all that quick. I wouldn't call him solid at all. He hustles, he tries but he's just not very good.
You can say the same thing about Childress right now. Wilbekin is the better option.

compared to what a freshman guard would do, he's solid. our biggest recruiting miss in 2016 was T75 SG Eli Wright... right now for Miss St. he is averaging 17mpg, 3.4 ppg on 30% from the field and 9% from 3.

wilbekin doesn't turn it over, shoots it well, and know what he's supposed to do.

He's a neutral on offense and he's a negative on defense.

He's a known quantity and I understand why Danny plays him, but he's not very good. He's better than the alternatives, unfortunately.

[Re Wrangor's post about Doral.]

Very good post. And when Moore can produce on a consistent level, he's going to be a game changer. Just needs time.

Last edited:
You can say the same thing about Childress right now. Wilbekin is the better option.

I think this is true. However, Childress needs to play in order to improve his decision-making and to adjust to the pressure. Wilbekin doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He ordinarily handles the ball well and can hit shots from 3. He's not all-ACC, but he is a contributor.

Some of the posters on this thread really amuse me. People have criticized coaches in the past for excessive players transferring out, which forced us to rely on mediocre freshmen before they were ready. Now we have mostly sophomores and juniors leading the team and people complain that the freshmen not playing is evidence that they aren't good enough.

I think I see a pattern here.

He's a neutral on offense and he's a negative on defense.

He's a known quantity and I understand why Danny plays him, but he's not very good. He's better than the alternatives, unfortunately.

so far this season he has been a plus on offense just on spot up shooting. he's not a good defender but i i can't fault the staff for not landing a freshman 2 way guard ready to plug and play. he is an adequate backup to key woods when acc season starts.

Koby McEwen is putting up decent numbers at Utah State, but I haven't watched him play.

Back