• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN writer Eammon Brennan blogs about Wake censorship (post 31)

Been away from the boards for a few days - can someone clarify?

Censorship story = 1) Chill taking over the show this week 2) Buzz no longer taking live questions on the show 3) Wellman announcing this like a total prick, drawing a line in the sand, and alienating the fanbase

thatd be a horrible article, why would he ever write abotu that? especially when many schools dont have live questions.

Why would Andy Katz want to waste his time writing about us? Wake Forest basketball is completely irrelevant. He has better things (teams) to write about.

This is part of me that agrees with you. At the same time this feels like a nationally relevant story. For the 20 year period before [Redacted] got here wake was a nationally recognized program. We were probably one of the 15 best programs over that span.

I would imagine that the situation we are in is completely unprecedented. Is there any other example of a top 15 program of the past 20 years immediately dropping off to three historically bad years in a row? I get that no one really cares about wake basketball but I think college basketball fans would read that article and be like "holy shit look what happened to wake."

This is part of me that agrees with you. At the same time this feels like a nationally relevant story. For the 20 year period before [Redacted] got here wake was a nationally recognized program. We were probably one of the 15 best programs over that span.

I would imagine that the situation we are in is completely unprecedented. Is there any other example of a top 15 program of the past 20 years immediately dropping off to three historically bad years in a row? I get that no one really cares about wake basketball but I think college basketball fans would read that article and be like "holy shit look what happened to wake."

Trying to think of an example of a program that has fallen off steeply like us recently, Utah maybe?

Completely self-inflicted

From Brennan's blog

Let's translate:

Hey, immensely proud and hungry fan base. What's up? Look, I know you're frustrated. I know we won five ACC games in our first two seasons. I know we're 4-5 this season. I know we're ranked No. 210 in adjusted efficiency, and I know we're playing some of the worst per-possession defense in the country. I know the coach I hired to replace Dino Gaudio (who never missed the NCAA tournament, mind you) after three seasons has only ever left a school with a winning record once (Air Force), and yes, I know, even at the time this hire looked ridiculous, and I know it's so bad I've got robot YouTube videos ethering me … but could you please not yell at us so much?

Wow....

Hey, immensely proud and hungry fan base. What's up? Look, I know you're frustrated. I know we won five ACC games in our first two seasons. I know we're 4-5 this season. I know we're ranked No. 210 in adjusted efficiency, and I know we're playing some of the worst per-possession defense in the country. I know the coach I hired to replace Dino Gaudio (who never missed the NCAA tournament, mind you) after three seasons has only ever left a school with a winning record once (Air Force), and yes, I know, even at the time this hire looked ridiculous, and I know it's so bad I've got robot YouTube videos ethering me … but could you please not yell at us so much?

Actually, you know what? Just cut their mic.

Thank you, Eammon Brennan. Thank you very much.

This is good, too...

Soft, dude. Baby powder soft. Softer than the newborn kittens Drake buys and puts in matching sweaters and sends to ex-girlfriends as Christmas cards.

I understand the impulse not to allow fans to call up and berate your head coach for an hour, but they do that everywhere if the team isn't winning. Ask Roy Williams. Pre-screening questions to make sure nobody looks bad only makes everybody look even worse.

And hey, maybe those fans have some decent ideas on the 2-3 zone! When you're 25-47 in three years, you should take all the advice you can get.

Emailed Brennan to thank him for the post, quickly received an email back:

You bet. Was happy to write it. Keep plugging, hope it turns for the better soon.

Best,
E

That was the first time I read the comments from Wellman. "This is our show." The man has lost his mind.

I love the attention, but the revisionist history about Dino gets worse.

If it helps get [Redacted] out the door a millisecond faster, they can write that Dino was the pope for all I care.

Exactly. And to the extent we dicked Dino, if this positive pub helps him gain traction for another job, kudos to him.

Back