• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantrax/CDM Fantasy Sports

Need to find 3 SPs...maybe 4....who will make the step up from "steady" to "almost ace" category this year. Roster will have 11 SPs. The other 7 or 8 will be proven top-shelf starters, but I need 3 or 4 who won't cost in the 2800K to 3100K range. Not looking for absolute, totally cheap sleepers. And in points leagues, ERA & WHIP do not matter. Looking only for strikeouts, innings & wins.

Here are some candidates I have tagged:

Carlos Carrasco - 2220K
Noah Syndergaard - 1820K
Danny Salazar - 2130K
Carlos Martinez - 2040K
Lance McCullers - 1370K
Carlos Rodon - 1440K

Thoughts about these....or others who might be mid-priced like these guys? (McCullers & Rodon are on the cheap end of this range.)

If you are looking for a cheap guy who could be great then take a look at Steven Matz (NYM) He was terrific at the end of last year even pitching in the playoffs. He still considered a rookie and is just 1590 in your game.

The Mets will get back Zack Wheeler around June. That will give them 5 really good to great pitchers.

Last edited:
Trea Turner (Nats) is a cheap SS that is positioned to take over the everyday job. Only 500k in my league so I'm sure he is very cheap in yours as well.

Hi friend. Looks like I'm late to the party. Looks like I've missed a lot of chatter. What is everyone's plans for fantasy this year?

I briefly looked at Matz...and he is considered an "up & comer". Problem is that I already have 3 Mets SPs and it's unheard of to have 4 of your 11 SPs from one team. DeGrom & Harvey are both top-notch at around 2690K & 2610K.....and I think I'd prefer Syndergaard at 1820K to Matz at 1590K. I want to watch those guys in ST, though. Thanks for the advice. Got some others?

(Actually, it's extremely unusual to have 3 SPs from the same team.)

As of now I plan to go without deGrom. I think Harvey will once again be the ace of that squad. There was a lot of caution with his return last year. I expect him to be a cy young contender this year.

Was a little disappointed that Wainwright was priced at 1150k. I'm still going to take him. Great pitcher, great team, and great pitcher's park.

Right now I only have 3 pitchers of the top 12 according to Fantrax. I really think I can compete without all of the top pitchers. There are some really good pitchers for less than 1200k. Not to mention there is always a few surprises that breakout on the cheap. That allows you to add a SP that becomes a must have.

I'm just getting started, but feel I can still come up with a good team. Every year is different and I plan to try a few different things this year. Actually some are things tried before like cheaper pitchers starting out. My first step is to look at players being traded, retired, or free agents that weren't resigned by their team. You can find some young gems in the making. (hopefully Turner could be one of those players)

ST could change everything, of course, but the last thing I can find has Turner listed behind Espinoza & Drew. Right now I have Correa, Seager & Bogaerts....but if I could find a guy who was 600-700K cheaper than Seager & Bogaerts I might drop one of them in order to have a really cheap back-up for cap flexibility. Since I plan to go with few really cheap SPs due to the 11-man limit, I will need some cheap position players for weeks when I have several 2-start SPs scheduled.

From Fantrax......Nationals GM Mike Rizzo said Thursday that he would consider bringing Turner north as the team's starting shortstop if he wins the job in spring training, the Washington Post reports.

If I am reading that right then he could win the job and still not make the opening day roster. Reminds me of the SS I liked so much last year. (Lindor) I knew he was their future and would be good for the money right from the start. They held him back and this year he is over a mil. Very frustrating.

Fowler deciding to stay with the Cubs changed things for me. Schwarber was set to be an every day player. If he gets 500-600 at bats he hits 30+ home runs easily. I jump all over that for a player under a mil. even if he only hits about .260. Like you said earlier he is more suited for your game, but he has value in any game if he gets enough at bats. No way Soler sets the bench all year. I have to think he shares time with Schwarber.

In rookie league 2... Made a lineup today. I got a lot of research to do. Initial lineup came up to be about 41.7 mil so I have some room to upgrade some areas. I've got every position backed up and the rest of the bench spots are starting pitchers. I expect my final roster to be fairly different from this one, but this is a decent preliminary start

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C Perez, Salvador C,UT - KC 830,000
C Wieters, Matt C,UT - BAL 730,000
1B Freeman, Freddie 1B,UT - ATL 1,140,000
1B Rizzo, Anthony 1B,UT - CHC 1,470,000
2B Odor, Rougned 2B,UT - TEX 840,000
2B Panik, Joe 2B,UT - SF 760,000
3B Bryant, Kris 3B,UT - CHC 1,230,000
3B Moustakas, Mike 3B,UT - KC 950,000
SS Hechavarria, Adeiny SS,UT - MIA 830,000
SS Russell, Addison SS,UT - CHC 900,000
OF Betts, Mookie OF,UT - BOS 1,070,000
OF Burns, Billy OF,UT - OAK 860,000
OF Dickerson, Corey OF,UT - TB 860,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,510,000
OF Springer, George OF,UT - HOU 1,000,000
OF Yelich, Christian OF,UT - MIA 960,000
UT Cain, Lorenzo OF,UT - KC 1,150,000
UT Lind, Adam 1B,UT - SEA 990,000
SP Archer, Chris SP,P - TB 1,040,000
SP Cole, Gerrit SP,P - PIT 1,130,000
SP Gray, Sonny SP,P - OAK 1,070,000
SP Liriano, Francisco SP,P - PIT 960,000
SP Rodon, Carlos SP,P - CHW 750,000
SP Teheran, Julio SP,P - ATL 990,000
RP Boxberger, Brad RP,P - TB 1,060,000
RP Familia, Jeurys RP,P - NYM 1,200,000
RP Jansen, Kenley RP,P - LAD 1,190,000
P Miller, Shelby SP,P - ARI 900,000
Total 28,370,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Cervelli, Francisco C,UT - PIT 680,000
Pedroia, Dustin 2B,UT - BOS 930,000
Duffy, Matt 3B,UT - SF 880,000
Jones, Adam OF,UT - BAL 1,210,000
Stanton, Giancarlo OF,UT - MIA 1,460,000
Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,670,000
Fernandez, Jose SP,P - MIA 1,250,000
Matz, Steven SP,P - NYM 870,000
Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,280,000
Samardzija, Jeff SP,P - SF 930,000
Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,150,000
Perkins, Glen RP,P - MIN 1,080,000
Total 13,390,000

Not like Harper, Trout & Bryant, etc., to be sure. We may see some good new guys as ST gets going, though. I'm interested in watching Park & Buxton in Minnesota, for example. That has the potential to be a really good lineup when you throw in Dozier, Mauer & Sano.

As I posted earlier, three team offenses that I will have several players from this year will be the Astros, Cubs & Twins. I like Pollock, Peralta & Goldschmidt from Arizona, too.

Even the best of the best don't make the opening day roster these days. All 3 you mentioned didn't break camp with the team in their first year. Last year about 50% of teams took Bryant even though he started the year in the minors. That was unheard of in the past. Things have changed a bunch and I haven't adapted well, unfortunately.

Even the best of the best don't make the opening day roster these days. All 3 you mentioned didn't break camp with the team in their first year. Last year about 50% of teams took Bryant even though he started the year in the minors. That was unheard of in the past. Things have changed a bunch and I haven't adapted well, unfortunately.

If you know that they are going to bring the guy up by mid-April...and the guy projects as a "can't miss" player...I think it's worth sacrificing a spot on the roster for a couple of weeks to save a purchase. The key, of course, is that he has to be really good, pretty cheap, and at a position where you know you need to have him. Those three players were special talents. Not a whole lot of players in their category. (If I knew that Travis would be back...and at full strength...by mid-April I would probably go ahead and take him as my third guy at 2B....but I don't think he will be back that quickly and I don't think you can tie up a spot for a month for a guy like that. Also, we get 17 purchases this year.)

On a different subject, there are lots of good 3B this year. I'm pretty sure that I will carry 4 of them.....particularly since the points league limits you to 11 SPs and has a 41st player. That means that, counting the two DHs, you have 10 position players after you have picked two guys at every position.....enough for a backup at every position plus a 2nd backup at two positions. I'm leaning toward 4 3rd Basemen & 10 outfielders....though I could switch one of those to a 4th at 1B.

Back to 3B, though. I like Kang (whom you first mentioned) as a cheap 3rd Baseman. Also looking at Franco from the Phillies for another possible cheap guy there to go along with two of the top guys...like Donaldson & Bryant or Arenado. (And there's also Machado & Frazier. AS I said, it's a deep position this year.) Don't know anything about Franco. The Phillies will be awful, but it's a great hitters' park and they say Franco is locked into the #3 spot in the order. What does anyone know about him? He & Kang seem fairly interchangeable.

He had 85 hits in 80 games last year. What is more important to you is that 37 of them were for extra bases. He has a rocket arm with really soft hands. Probably the last year he will be under a mil.

45 runs & 50 RBIs in 80 games is pretty darned good, too. That's a 90-100 pace for a full season. Overall, I love guys hitting in the #3 slot in hitters' parks. He's 860K in roto. Definitely a guy to watch in ST.

I understand why you are looking at 4 third baseman. The top is so good with some cheaper guys who could have a big year. Funny how things have gone back to the hot corner.

While looking forward to the start of the season I really haven't done much research. I have bought one mag and have checked the bleacher report a few times. I'm going to crunch when it gets down to a couple weeks. lol

I'd definitely say go with Perez again. He catches just about every game and has a decent stick until he gets burned out at the end of seasons.

Anyone going with Puig this year? I think he's priced under a mil this year (in roto league) and his talent is undeniable. I've had him every year of playing and he's disappointed, should I take a chance on him again?

My first team

Finally freed up a few hours to do nothing but work on my team. Thought I would share since we all have found some players that others may not be aware. I went to bed before I could address having both Soler and Shwarber. I think I will have to drop both since they most likely platoon in left field. Had to drop a couple cheap guys I really liked since they won't make the opening day roster. They should come up quickly but are not a sure thing like Bryant was last year.

ACTIVE
Pos Player Salary
C McCann, James C,UT - DET 520,000
C Posey, Buster C,UT - SF 1,070,000
1B Abreu, José 1B,UT - CHW 1,290,000
1B Goldschmidt, Paul 1B,UT - ARI 1,660,000
2B Gordon, Dee 2B,UT - MIA 1,280,000
2B Spangenberg, Cory 2B,UT - SD 590,000
3B Arenado, Nolan 3B,UT - COL 1,280,000
3B Kang, Jung Ho 3B,UT - PIT 760,000
SS Bogaerts, Xander SS,UT - BOS 1,010,000
SS Seager, Corey SS,UT - LAD 930,000
OF Buxton, Byron OF,UT - MIN 750,000
OF Harper, Bryce OF,UT - WAS 1,510,000
OF Kim, Hyun-soo OF,UT - BAL 650,000
OF Marte, Starling OF,UT - PIT 1,180,000
OF Soler, Jorge OF,UT - CHC 790,000
OF Trout, Mike OF,UT - LAA 1,670,000
UT Donaldson, Josh 3B,UT - TOR 1,540,000
UT Hosmer, Eric 1B,UT - KC 1,170,000
SP Cole, Gerrit SP,P - PIT 1,130,000
SP Glasnow, Tyler SP,P - PIT 650,000
SP Gray, Jon SP,P - COL 750,000
SP Harvey, Matt SP,P - NYM 1,190,000
SP Sale, Chris SP,P - CHW 1,280,000
SP Wainwright, Adam SP,P - STL 1,150,000
RP Davis, Wade RP,P - KC 1,170,000
RP Giles, Ken RP,P - HOU 1,110,000
RP Street, Huston RP,P - LAA 1,100,000
P Strickland, Hunter RP,P - SF 800,000
Total 29,980,000

RESERVE
Player Salary
Schoop, Jonathan 2B,UT - BAL 630,000
Marte, Ketel SS,UT - SEA 630,000
Piscotty, Stephen OF,UT - STL 680,000
Shwarber, Kyle OF,UT - CHC 920,000
Archer, Chris SP,P - TB 1,040,000
Darvish, Yu SP,P - TEX 1,000,000
Fernández, José SP,P - MIA 1,250,000
Iglesias, Raisel SP,P - CIN 590,000
Kershaw, Clayton SP,P - LAD 1,700,000
Matz, Steven SP,P - NYM 870,000
Scherzer, Max SP,P - WAS 1,520,000
Melancon, Mark RP,P - PIT 1,240,000
Total 12,070,000

I've approached this season in a completely different way so far. After the great year we both had in 2014, I was all fired up in early January last year and spent the most hours preparing for the 2015 season that I had ever spent in my life....then my teams performed miserably as I had my worst fantasy year in memory.

So it's now March 3rd, and I would say that I've probably spent no more than 10-15% of the time working on my 2016 teams that I had on my 2015 teams. I had those radiation treatments five days a week for all of January & February which occupied a lot of my time. Then I got interested in this crazy political primary campaign. So preparing my fantasy teams has taken a back seat until very recently. I've about decided, though, that much of the work before around mid-March is not going to be very helpful anyway....because you need to get some ST games in the books to see what the team rosters, batting order & rotations are going to look like & who is going to win some of the contested starting lineup jobs. Then there are always some last minute decisions...particularly for closers...that may not come until the last part of March.

Anyway, I'm just now beginning to do some serious research. We will see how this late start works out....but it would be hard to do worse than I did last year, after working hard on my roster every day from early January.

I believe you are right that while Syndergaard cost more he is a better value than Matz. He is also less risky. I made the swap today. I might as well start looking for a replacement for Glasnow, too. He will pitch this year but I don't think he will be given a chance to make the rotation this spring.

I didn't know you had radiation treatments. Hope all went well.

Last edited:
I believe you are right that while Syndergaard cost more he is a better value than Matz. He is also less risky. I made the swap today. I might as well start looking for a replacement for Glasnow, too. He will pitch this year but I don't think he will be given a chance to make the rotation this spring.

I didn't know you had radiation treatments. Hope all went well.

I think everything went fine. Had 40 treatments (about 15 minutes each day...just lying on a table like for a catscan...really nothing to it other than having to drink about a quart of water beforehand and then going to the bathroom every ten minutes for about the next two hours. They used this new radiation technology called "IMRT" that directs many smaller radiation beams directly to the prostate using something like a GPS system. They went in behind (like in a biopsy) and placed three gold markers in a triangle to direct the radiation and limit collateral radiation damage like people used to get with the single large radiation beam.

Also, they caught it early thru an annual physical. My PSA was only 5.4.....a little high, but not that bad. The biopsy showed that 2 of 12 specimans had some cancerous cells....but only 10% in one and <5% in the other....though they were a "Gleason 7", which was moderately aggressive. My doctor said that I could just continue to monitor it thru periodic blood tests if I wished, but when he told me about how much success they had experienced with that IMRT option, I decided to go ahead and, hopefully, get it knocked out. Had to drive to Greensboro each day...but it's not like my schedule was crowded. LOL. I'll follow up with blood tests every 4 to 6 months, but my doctor was very confident that my situation was such that this would take care of it. We'll just have to see over time, but I feel very good about it.

Last edited:
Haven't seen anything from you other than your first draft. You should take a long look at the second baseman position. There are several guys who could have great years for a really cheap price. Here are a few to check out.

Schoop Bal 630k
Panik SF 760k
Spangenberg SD 590k

Panik is the guy I think everyone will have by seasons end.

I like all of these sleeper/breakout players....and I'm probably going to end up with almost all of them on my team:

http://fantasy.usatoday.com/2016/03/national-league-east-projected-batting-orders

Here are the best fantasy baseball sleeper and breakout picks for 2016.

Breakout players

Well-known players set to join the top ranks

OF Gregory Polanco, Pittsburgh Pirates

Second-half power increase revealed his upside: 15-plus home runs, 30-plus stolen bases.

3B Maikel Franco, Philadelphia Phillies

Wrist injury derailed big rookie debut. Primed to reach 30 homers in a full season.

2B Rougned Odor, Texas Rangers

Just 22 years old, so will need polish, but a 20-20 candidate in a great environment.

3B Miguel Sano, Minnesota Twins

As long as you can deal with bottom-rung batting average, he could give you 35 homers.

SP Lance McCullers, Houston Astros

Expected innings cap forces caution, but big-time skills deserve a buy, as long as he’s not your SP1 or 2.

OF David Peralta, Arizona Diamondbacks

Ready to add more home runs and steals to a foundation he laid last year.

Sleepers

Known players typically cheaper than the Breakout tier who also have tools to have a big 2016

SP Carlos Rodon, Chicago White Sox

A notable decrease in walks could make him a top-20 fantasy arm.

OF Byron Buxton, Minnesota Twins

Another post-hype pick. Buy 20-plus steals, assuming 500-plus plate appearances. Health could push him toward double-digit homers, too.

C J.T. Realmuto, Miami Marlins

Potential 15-15 production from a catcher should have more hype than this.

2B/3B Brett Lawrie, Chicago White Sox

How’s he only 26 years old? Return to awesome hitter’s park should minimize grounder trend. 20 HR a good bet.

OF Stephen Piscotty, St. Louis Cardinals

Though not great at one tool, he’s a more complete hitter than fellow blue-chipper Grichuk.

Last edited:
Back